Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Albums: 1973

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [8.33%]
3 [25.00%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [25.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Irish Albums: 1973
    Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:01
1973: Quite possibly the strongest year ever for Irish Prog, just as it was for British Prog too. There's also the fourth album by The Chieftains in this poll, but you can't win them all. I drew the line at including Val Doonican and The Dubliners though, so my prog credentials aren't completed destroyed just yet - at least not until the release of the next YES album anyhow.  Tongue

5 stars 1973: Fruupp - Future Legends - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG2ZW6QrhcM
4 stars 1973: Horslips - The Tain - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iha3aawSn38
4 stars 1973: The Gary Moore Band - Grinding Stone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi2M4eZDuY0
4 stars 1973: Mushroom - Early One Morning - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_keiUQrP9T3oV7M7NYq345X4R5_gpQnpTA
3 stars 1973: Gilbert O'Sullivan - I'm a Writer, Not a Fighter - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OQokXs_ISY
5 stars 1973: Peggy's Leg - Grinilla - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLlWZ2pPKI

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 01 2023 at 06:06
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:03
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:28
Thin Lizzy - Vagabonds Of The Western World
Horslips - The Tain
Fruupp - Future Legends
Gilbert O'Sullivan - I'm A Writer, Not A Fighter
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 07:33
Superb album! 50th Anniversary Box Set coming on 17 November.

Great artwork by Jim Fitzpatrick. Smile
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 08:30
Rory Gallagher by many ;-) miles
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 09:52
This was THE year.  I chose Clannad but Horslips, Mushroom and Fruupp are all fine albums
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 12:05
Fruupp. Every spring we watch Andy Griffith pull a new pair of pants off the pants tree when it starts bearing pants.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 13:36
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Superb album! 50th Anniversary Box Set coming on 17 November.

Great artwork by Jim Fitzpatrick. Smile

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 13:44
^ On CD, how quaint. :) Vinyl seems so much more “now” to me. The past is the future, the future is the past.

I voted for Clannad by the way, partially for sentimental reasons.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 19:29
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ On CD, how quaint. :) Vinyl seems so much more “now” to me. The past is the future, the future is the past.

I just saw Clannad on their farewell tour, first time I had seen them.  Wonderful!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 19:41
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I just saw Clannad on their farewell tour, first time I had seen them.  Wonderful!

Nice!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 19:59

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Nice!

they even played a couple songs from that first album.  They focused on 70s and 80s work
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2023 at 21:51
Know the artists well enough but not the albums so much.

The Thin Lizzy album is presumably the one with Whiskey In The Jar? Maybe my favourite guitar work of all time. Remember an interview (might have been Brian Downey) saying that the young man who played on the album decided to move onto other things. A real loss to the band at the time but they reinvented themselves later and became massively succesful of course. Live and Dangerous still one of the best live albums of the seventies and well remember it being played endessly by a rock fan in my college digs. We had a couple of Irish staying there so that probably partly explained that!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 06:06
It's back to the Grinding Stone with this poll as I overlooked an early album by Gary Moore. Embarrassed

4 stars 1973: The Gary Moore Band - Grinding Stone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi2M4eZDuY0
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 06:10
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's back to the Grinding Stone with this poll as I overlooked an early album by Gary Moore. Embarrassed

Hi,

The long cut (Spirit), all the way to the end of the album on Side 2 is fantastic! One of the best guitar solos ever, and a crazy one at that!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply