Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog archives future

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 11:13
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

But there's no forum at Lazland, is there? Being able to communicate with groups of people online is meaningful to me, and it's not like I don't do that in so-called real life either, but writing and reading often is more enjoyable to me than being in an oral situation (not that I don't like oral, espoecially when done right).

While there might be a mass exodus to progears (I tried to post there years ago but did not find it welcoming or encouraging at the time, often depends on the luck of the friendliness of the people on at the time), I would like for the forum community to have a place ready to visit even if this site goes down for along time. It's awkward descending on another site. I think we should consider setting up a forum, I believe free boards for hosting are available. Otherwise a reddit sub (I have never posted there) might work. While I and others can be a real pain in the buttocks, and some of are quite eccentric, it's the people that make this place special to me, much more-so than the content.

I'll be your friend over there! There's loads of people with similar music tastes to yours.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 11:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

But there's no forum at Lazland, is there? Being able to communicate with groups of people online is meaningful to me, and it's not like I don't do that in so-called real life either, but writing and reading often is more enjoyable to me than being in an oral situation (not that I don't like oral, espoecially when done right).

While there might be a mass exodus to progears (I tried to post there years ago but did not find it welcoming or encouraging at the time, often depends on the luck of the friendliness of the people on at the time), I would like for the forum community to have a place ready to visit even if this site goes down for along time. It's awkward descending on another site. I think we should consider setting up a forum, I believe free boards for hosting are available. Otherwise a reddit sub (I have never posted there) might work. While I and others can be a real pain in the buttocks, and some of are quite eccentric, it's the people that make this place special to me, much more-so than the content.

I'll be your friend over there! There's loads of people with similar music tastes to yours.

Well then, thanks! Then I'll have almost as many friends as I have here.    

Edited by Logan - September 27 2023 at 11:34
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 12:22

No, no forum, and absolutely no plans to have one, either. Far too much like hard work.

I see that Ian has posted a reply, but I will state here that I have found the chaps at Progressive Ears very welcoming.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 15:47
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Mike has added a forum over at https://awesomeprog.com/.   It hasn't gained much traffic, but I am sure that it would be an available forum resource for displaced PAers.

Sure! It is currently very rudimentary as far as forum features are concerned, but if more people were to use it, I would add more advanced functionality.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 17:04
The only feature required is a red carpet to be rolled out for the grand entrance.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2023 at 17:35

The only feature required is a red carpet to be rolled out for the grand entrance.

Hi,

Dude ... Wink ... that is so passe!

I want a carpet with all the colors in the rainbow and shining like crazy ... it would make us smile and smile some more, just to think of the unusual style and nature!

Big smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 00:17
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No problem. I will spend the rest of my prog listening days at Lazland.org. Wonderful! Tongue

Steve, you are a wonderful chap! Smile
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 01:23

I've had that rolled out for years, in the form of countless months of hard work. But I'm sure I could find a nice picture of a red carpet and a grand entrance to visualise the sentiment LOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 01:51
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I see that Ian has posted a reply, but I will state here that I have found the chaps at Progressive Ears very welcoming.

many have tried & failed. 

It's an odd place, but I love it. 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 07:14
If there is a mass exodus to another site, I would think ProgGnosis would be the best fit. Their architecture supports an album database, forum, reviews, and new/upcoming releases. Unfortunately, there are no album ratings, and reviews are restricted to a handful of approved reviewers.
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 09:44
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No problem. I will spend the rest of my prog listening days at Lazland.org. Wonderful! Tongue

Steve, you are a wonderful chap! Smile

Clap
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 09:46
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

If there is a mass exodus to another site, I would think ProgGnosis would be the best fit. Their architecture supports an album database, forum, reviews, and new/upcoming releases. Unfortunately, there are no album ratings, and reviews are restricted to a handful of approved reviewers.

You mean this site?ConfusedShocked
TBH, I wasn't aware that they were still alive.
I had given them money to reconstruct after they got destroyed by hackers more than a decade ago, but never really saw a good rebirth. 

I don't see a full-discussion forum space (it's just a feedback space, IMHO) or a review section possibilities (maybe I'm not looking good enough)

Edited by Sean Trane - September 29 2023 at 00:32
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 10:21

Edited by mellotronwave - September 29 2023 at 00:59
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2023 at 23:30

Edited by richardh - September 29 2023 at 23:00
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 12:11
I'm sure with enough dedication the community would be able to find new shelter and continue to exist but the loss of the archive and all reviews posted in it would be a terrible shame
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 13:18
What would I do? Spend more time on PE. :P And also rate your music and prog websites I rarely check out. Maybe get a new hobby too (maybe Polka music). 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 14:54
From a forum perspective, spend my time at Steve Hoffman Forums. There are hundreds of topics there to discuss, and regarding prog topics there are many, many.

I'd be fine......I still have my memories of what PA was like when I first joined.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 14:59
^ Oh yeah, I forgot about SHF. Them too. ;)
ProggnosisDB View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProggnosisDB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2023 at 15:05

IF ProgArchives goes away - and I certainly hope it stays - - then Proggnosis would remain the only data driven dedicated prog/fusion site on the web.

Reviews, creating and editing content (artists, releases) is done via web pages and an editor not so different than the one you see on this forum.

There is a section in the forum for editors and reviews but the forum itself could not manage to replace the wonderful one you have here.

One reason is that  I pay for my hosting at retail rates and I do not draw more then $100 per 18 months in google ad revenue!  It costs money to host and a very active forum, especially one that allows photos and files such as this forum consumes a lot of storage and therefore raises the cost.

I am sure I could code a ratings  scheme and perhaps other features if we had the folks to contribute the content.   Still, the loss of ProgArchvies would be felt around the world and I hope it does not happen.

If you know for fact that this is coming, please give me a heads-up so I can to my best to provide for a soft-landing for any who wish to play at Proggnosis.  [email protected] or here via DM on the forum.

Regards,
Doug Silver (DBSilver)

Edited by ProggnosisDB - October 24 2023 at 15:08
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2023 at 21:47
Maybe a benefactor can come in and support the forums!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>