Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Evoking Aquatarkus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filipe Barroso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Evoking Aquatarkus
    Posted: September 29 2023 at 04:13
I know te live version ("Welcome Back") is popular, but I still like the first one best.

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 05:49
The original is great, but that live version....
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 06:47
I really enjoyed that! Clap
Criswell View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Criswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 07:26
The live version is the saving grace of WB...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 11:26
The live version is amazing - a million times better than the studio version.
Filipe Barroso View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filipe Barroso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 13:26
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I really enjoyed that! Clap

Thank you kindly!

Edited by Filipe Barroso - September 29 2023 at 13:26
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filipe Barroso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 13:48
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

The original is great, but that live version....

The live version begins well, energetic, with a delightful ascending run on the moog until it changes into something different. From min. 2:32 to 6:00  vcf drones dominate the low end, drum plays not regular Palmer but a sort of south American rhythm, until a thin moog latin-style solo emerges. That part is no Emerson composition, but Dick Hyman's: The Minotaur. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m14ycwf8kbQ

Dick Hyman is an old influence o K.E. Anyway,
neither The Minotaur is acknowledged as part of that Aquatarkus version which is not nice to say the least,
neither it fitted that well - its entrance in the song is preceded by metallurgic - type sound moves, rather clumsy - guitar noise blast was needed because some modular jacks had to be pulled in order to obtain the fixed pitched drone.
Although the sum of the parts is always fun to play along, I consider the original the real masterpiece.

Edited by Filipe Barroso - September 29 2023 at 15:33
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 18:05
Sound Familiar ??

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 22:12
Originally posted by Filipe Barroso Filipe Barroso wrote:

I know te live version ("Welcome Back") is popular, but I still like the first one best.

pretty horrible version

the album is genius because of all the layers. Palmers drums cross the stereo marching drum style and get bigger and bigger. I listened to that album so much when I was 14 I must of worn out the cassette, always on headphones.

The live version of Tarkus as a whole is one of the great prog performances. Extraordinary tight interplay. Emerson on Stones of Years evokes his hero Jimmy Smith impressively. Palmer is ultra smooth all the way. Lake is matching them on bass and his ever maturing vocal is stately and commanding. Great version of Battlefield, 'axe hero' Lake takes over and Emerson plays bass on keyboard. I still love the album version with Offord's standard setting engineering production work but I play the live version a lot more.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2023 at 22:33
I love Aquatarkus, I think I will listen to it tonight.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Filipe Barroso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 01:29
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I love Aquatarkus, I think I will listen to it tonight.

Now we're talking Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply