Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Led Zeppelin 7 X 7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Led Zeppelin 7 X 7
    Posted: May 14 2024 at 16:18
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Just 7 from the 7? Sorry, no can do.

They released 8 albums + Coda LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 16:16
Just 7 from the 7? Sorry, no can do.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 13:27
A show seen is not the same as show heard.   Not nearly the same.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 06:16
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Most fans don't like bootlegs.   They're outrageously expensive, came out on poorly stamped vinyl, and sound like sh*t.   Even the soundboard tapes, though better, are thin & unbalanced.   Lifelong Zep Boot collector here, so I know whereof I speak.
Do you really believe the normal, working fan went out and spent upwards of $40 a disc for a bad-sounding concert ?   No.   They'd rather listen to TSRtS, probably the greatest live rock recording ever made, than blow their paycheck on a badly made piece of doo-doo.

Hi,

I paid $16 dollars for LIVE ON BLUEBERRY HILL ... and it was not that expensive, considering that a lot of IMPORTS that we were buying (Moby Disk/Warehouse in Westwood/Tower on the Strip) were around $18 or $19 dollars, but it was the only way you could get a Tangerine Dream or Klaus Schulze and in the very early days, any Genesis, until much later with SEBTP. And that was 1971. 

Again, the thought and understanding of the fans around Santa Barbara and definitely the main station at the time  (FM) ... was that everyone had to see the concerts. Since there was no live album, where else was anyone going to see/hear about this, other than word of mouth. By 1970, and 1971, the secret was out ... LZ was a must catch, just like in 1972, PF became the "catch" with their QUADRAPHONIC sound.

The quality of the sound on any bootleg, has never bothered me, and is good enough that you can easily hear about 10 different versions of The Embryo (PF), or Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Again, the quality of the sound, has NOTHING to do with the show itself, and how it came off ... the energy of the show was there, and it was part of the thing folks were hoping to see/experience that helped sell tickets like crazy.

A bootleg costing $40 dollars (probably today!!!) is a bit on the crazy side, but I'm not a collector, and for me, it was a way to EXPERIENCE the band, in a way that I could not otherwise.

It really bothers me that the thought is that the quality of the bootleg ruins the show ... the show is the show, and its existence has a life of its own, that any  recording, good or bad, can not remove or extinguish, and this specifies to me just how valuable a band was in concert. For example, the Rolling Stones were not very good. Deep Purple was the worst. Black Sabbath was somewhere in between depending on how drunk and stoned one guy was. But one example, was incredible ... Frank Zappa's bootlegs were all great, despite the sound, and you heard an incredible show. Again, the quality of the bootleg recording has nothing to do with the concert itself, and anyone thinking it does is deceiving themselves, and thinking that the technology is what made the bands ... and in those days, technology was not the main factor that is today, where so many bands are manufactured and mailed out ... an exact copy of the original so the fan gets his/her hit!

Please do not confuse the recording, for the actual show ... two very different things. 

The bootlegs were all about the show itself. NEVER the recording. And the show itself, was ... insanely good and something you and I wanted to be a part of! (And the record companies could never really reconcile that!)

Edited by moshkito - May 14 2024 at 06:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 19:03
Most fans don't like bootlegs.   They're outrageously expensive, came out on poorly stamped vinyl, and sound like sh*t.   Even the soundboard tapes, though better, are thin & unbalanced.   Lifelong Zep Boot collector here, so I know whereof I speak.

To say it was the private fan recordings (or otherwise) that made Zep popular is like saying it was the "Beatles Bedsheets" and other crappy memorabilia that made the Beatles popular.   It's the other way around--- The bootlegs sold because of Zep, not the boots.   Great content to be sure (as you point out) but again, that's a tribute to their already huge fanbase, not the bootlegs.   For you & me maybe, as serious live music appreciators, but not for the average fan.

Do you really believe the normal, working fan went out and spent upwards of $40 a disc for a bad-sounding concert ?   No.   They'd rather listen to TSRtS, probably the greatest live rock recording ever made, than blow their paycheck on a badly made piece of doo-doo.

I LOVE me a good Zep boot.   But the vast majority do not, and I don't blame them.

Edited by Atavachron - May 13 2024 at 19:04
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 18:45
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Zep didn't become big in the '70s because of their bootlegs (as excellent as those were, despite the sound quality)--- Most of their bootlegs hadn't even been produced in large numbers until many years later.

Hi,

(Mind you I am not an expert on this bootleg thing!!! But I know what I bought at the time, and where ... I got Blueberry Hill in LA and I'm not sure exactly where. Sadly I let the album go around 1980 and it is one album I wish I had not let go!)

I kinda beg to differ, per my time in Southern California, where their bootlegs, probably took off ... and if we believe Wiki, it might have started in 1968, although I think that the first bootleg that I got (Live on Blueberry Hill) was a recording from 1970 ... and its energy is quite clear.

Later, specially with the series around Bonzo in LA, their bootleg sales jumped incredibly, however, that does not explain the English press mentioning the incredible number of bootlegs, that LZ had by August 1969 ... and most were English artists, though there is little mention of GD or BD.

In LA, in 1970, Led Zeppelin was not a "secret" and they were well known and the bootlegs featured LZ1 and LZ2 which came in 1968 and 1969, which might suggest that the bootlegs listings in Wiki is not exactly complete, but that is not a surprise. The surprise is seeing a listing for a show at the Fillmore ... and the knowledge that the Graham family probably owns more recordings that they can not release or make available to anyone, by many bands.

That they became well versed in the business, was mostly a fact of the matter that they were selling like crazy, and the band was touring a lot ... but in the end, it was Peter Grant that helped make a lot of choices to ensure that LZ was able to maintain, and eventually clean up a lot of money like water. I have had the thought that PG thought that with so many bootlegs out, a live album would not do as well, specially if someone compared the energy levels ... and choosing a show to do a live album was probably going to be a problem, as the band was turning into new material ... but it might have been the fact that they were doing well enough that there was no need for more.

The fact was, that the bootlegs were showing an energy in concert that was far out, and even in Santa Barbara when they played (I think it was '73 or '75 Earl Warren Showgrounds) the show was sold out within some 15 minutes to give you an idea how much folks wanted to see them. And the record company did not think a live album was necessary at all, as far as I know. By today's standards I bet that a live album would have been shown before LZ3 ... but that is not an important fact or idea.

BTW ... the sound quality was never a problem for me, even for Pink Floyd bootlegs that started in 1972 with their Quadraphonic" sound shows. The energy in the playing and concert itself flies through just fine, and it scares me that folks think because the recording is not perfect, or right, that folks can't feel the energy flowing through. These bootlegs would not have been valuable, or important, without something in them that we all can relate to, despite the record company's this and that.

Based on Jimmy, much later, going through several bootlegs, and fixing them to create "How The West Was Won", I have a feeling that LZ had decided to not do a live album because Jimmy might have thought that there were "too many mistakes" ... in order to put together a good live album ... but it didn't matter what Jimmy thought ... the bootlegs showed something else ... in concert that most bands did not have at all!

Edited by moshkito - May 13 2024 at 18:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 16:32
Zep didn't become big in the '70s because of their bootlegs (as excellent as those were, despite the sound quality)--- Most of their bootlegs hadn't even been produced in large numbers until many years later.

Zep became big because they took advantage of the era ~ Hendix was gone, no Beatles, and Pink Floyd live didn't always cut it ~ and they understood they were the only ones doing what people wanted to see live: a real, heartfelt, powerful performance as they re-worked their material in front of audiences.   They also had a ruthless manager, made huge profits for the venues in which they played, and continued to capitalize on that.   

They knew the business of rock, and took full advantage of that.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 16:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I did buy Led Zep II on vinyl at the same time as I bought a new turntable because it was relatively cheap and also thought it would be a good test. I quite like it but generally still struggle to understand now how they got so big (great live band I guess and conquered USA)

Hi,

Led Zep, as far as I can tell, pretty much made their fame via bootlegs ... they ended up famous for their energy and explosions in concert that had folks going ... wow ... and everyone ended up wanting to see it.

Of all the bootlegs at the time, only the Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan were as important .. GD, became famous for it, because you could record your own from the main board and Bob a more independent person in the albums, most of which have been dismissed since and released with changes. Bob was known to change his lyrics every night, and of course ... the idea and thoughts about the song, became very different ... I guess you could say ... a true poet! I think he became disenchanted for a long time because the record company and the fans got upset when he did this. Nowadays, he doesn't have to change the words much anymore, he simply sings it differently. Led Zeppelin, as a far out thing is mostly shown in one very easy moment, that Jimmy has never really shown, and changed for "How The West Was Won" which was his attempt at burying as many bootlegs as he could, by even making changes to the material ... since now he could take out "mistakes" ... and whatever other excuses, but the matter of the fact is ... that the album did not have one third the energy of various bootlegs, and there are some very special ones.

The opening of one bootleg is quintessential Led Zep, and I like to think that it is what made them famous ... the band enters the stage quietly, look at each other, Robert faces the audience, and only says "Nice to be back!" and it explodes from that moment on and doesn't let up for 4 sides of LP's, or at least what might  make 2 hours. Most bands had to slow down, and go slow to keep up ... but Led Zep was not about to do what everyone else did! And I'm pretty sure they knew and understood that. Besides, the fact that what they did was more "personal" than it was anything else ... and they had the material and wit to bring it alive!

Nowadays, most folks only redo some of their stuff ... because they lack the individuality and talent to do something original, and different. What most folks don't like of Led Zep is the fact that "The Song" did not remain the same ... and they continued as they could ... until one member passed away, and killed the story ... I think the other 3 member did not feel right or complete, without Bonzo ... and it takes guts to do that and stay with it despite a record company that was upset, but could not argue with the logic.
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 10:11
02. 4 stars 1971: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1LtRQVrBSXz9tiu_6WVY0A6D

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2024 at 07:23
01. 4 stars 1975: Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoIDt_C5y1Lsqi4pN2ryNKYGC1QE6PhP0

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 09:46
[In Chronological Order]

Dazed and Confused
Whole Lotta Love
Since I've Been Loving You
Black Dog
No Quarter
Kashmir
Achilles Last Stand
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2023 at 10:15
Awww, shucks:

- Since I've Been Loving You (III)
- No Quarter (HotH)
- Battle of Evermore (IV)
- In My Time of Dying (PG)
- How Many More Times (I)
- Ramble On (II)
- Nobody's Fault (P)
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 23:30
I can't even come close to ranking their albums. A bunch of heavy rock with some nice album artwork, literally nothing stands out to me. I do enjoy the live album How The West Was Won and occasionally will play the live at Knebworth DVD (if that is what it's called). Zep are the main reason I became a prog fan but mainly to get away from them. Their brand of blues based heavy rock was already getting very tired in 1975. THat said, Achilles Last Stand is superb and actually I like In Through The Out Door which might be as close to them being a prog band as it gets (although amusingly quite low rated on PA). Physical Grafitti is also decent. I did buy Led Zep II on vinyl at the same time as I bought a new turntable because it was relatively cheap and also thought it would be a good test. I quite like it but generally still struggle to understand now how they got so big (great live band I guess and conquered USA)
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2023 at 20:29
1. III (Tangerine)
2. II (Whole Lotta Love)
3. Physical Graffiti (Ten Years Gone)
4. IV (When the Levee Breaks)
5. I (Dazed and Confused)
6. House of the Holy (Over the Hills and Far Away)
7. In Through the Out Door (All My Love)
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 23:47
1 IV (Black Dog or The Battle Of Evermore)
2 I (Babe I'm Gonna Leave You)
3 Houses of the Holy (No Quarter)
4 III (Immigrant Song)
5 II (Ramble On)
6 Physical Grafitti (Ten Years Gone or In My Time of Dying)
7 In Through the Out Door (Carouselambra)

Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 19:55
1) I (Dazed & Confused)
2) II (Whole Lotta Love )
3) III (Since I`ve Been Loving You)
4) IV (Stairway to Heaven)
5) Houses of the Holy (No Quarter)
6) Physical Graffiti (Bron-Yr-Aur)
7) ------

Héctor Enrique
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 15:50
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

When the levee breaks
Babe I'm gonna leave you
Heartbreaker
Since I've been loving you
Over the hill and far away
Kashmir
Tea for one
ATTOD and CODA : none sorry
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2023 at 13:47
1. In Through the Out Door: "Carouselambra"
2. Physical Graffiti: "Kashmir"
3. Houses of the Holy: "The Song Remains the Same"
4. III: "That's the Way"
5. II: "Ramble On"
6. IV: "Going to California"
7. Presence: "Achilles Last Stand"

Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 13:56
Heartbreaker
Hats Off To (Roy) Harper
Four Sticks
Communication Breakdown
Trampled Under Foot
Achille's Last Stand
The Rain Song

Edited by Moonshake - September 30 2023 at 14:31
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2023 at 12:46
When the levee breaks
Babe I'm gonna leave you
Heartbreaker
Since I've been loving you
Kashmir
Tea for one
ATTOD and CODA : none sorry

Edited by mellotronwave - September 30 2023 at 12:48
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>