Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bandcamp lay off 50% of staff

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bandcamp lay off 50% of staff
    Posted: October 16 2023 at 18:37
Just heard that Bandcamp have laid off half their staff. If you have any music you've purchased and not downloaded yet I'd suggest doing it.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 18:40
One more reason to have phyz meed.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 18:57
Sounds to me like the problem was with the running of Epic's brands in general rather than any specific problems with Bandcamp: "For a while now, we’ve been spending way more money than we earn, investing in the next evolution of Epic and growing Fortnite as a metaverse-inspired ecosystem for creators". Songtradr have said in their own press release that they will: "Continue to operate Bandcamp as a marketplace and music community with an artist-first revenue share", suggesting that they view Bandcamp as an asset to their own licensing business. Epic themselves are investing in Songtradr as part of the sale agreement, and plan to work with Songtradr to license Bandcamp music to Epic games, so they must still have some faith in the viability of the platform, despite offloading it. Ermm
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 18:58
Sounds like Corporate speak to me, I wouldn't trust any of that.
Ian

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 19:27
I hope is for the best for the fans, the artists, and the music.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 19:46
One problem with bandcamp is you have to go through paypal to buy most music on there instead of just using your credit card.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 21:52
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

One problem with bandcamp is you have to go through paypal to buy most music on there instead of just using your credit card.

Hi,

Exactly ... specially as my bank (for example) locks the Credit Card as an untrusted website. 

I'm not a great fan of things like Bandcamp, and I seriously doubt that they are in it "for the artists" ... and are collecting money for advertising on the site, and their commission on the music. In general, I sincerely doubt that any band ... ANY BAND ... out there, can make a living off this site, or any other site ... PERIOD. It's the same thing with Apple, though they have given in to the big names, but everyone else? The numbers are false and misleading, and I doubt, for example, that Tangerine Dream is getting a check for $10 dollars monthly for 16 listens and a few downloads!

Again, the music business needs to die and this needs to get in the hands of the artists, which seems to be difficult ... but no one here has learned any lessons from The Grateful Dead, Robert Fripp (that now owns almost all of KC's material), Porcupine Tree, Marillion, Dream Theater ... folks that let go the "conventional" bullmerde in order to do it their own way ... 

It's scary seeing so many folks post here and pray on Bandcamp or something else ... I doubt they have a chance to get anywhere with it ... and if they can not get their due, it means they have to be part time musicians, and work 8 hours a day at their job ... hardly a good concept for a band to have a chance at "making it" in the market ... though some have done it (Djam Karet is one but they distributed their own for a long time! But they don't make enough and most of the members work elsewhere!) ...

I'm sad ... I really wanted to see a very independent way for most music ... look how FM Radio in the old days brought all of our stuff to the top ... until the great corporate rape in America in the early 80's ... and we still don't "get it!"

What would help, would be if sites like PA and other major "progressive music websites" could get the licensing for posting and selling these things ... but it would mean that PA has to hire one or two folks to work it ... not sure this can be done with volunteers, since there is money moving. At the very least, you get a website that has a major interest in the music and is helping promote it ... which is what so many of these new bands need, and will never get. 

I don't have an answer ... the whole thing is just scary, but I predict Bandcamp losing their flavor and customers real quick. You can only rob some folks for so long before you get found out, and when yo had employees, at least some of the funds made sense ... but when you don't ... IT DOESN'T.

I smell a lot of rats and NJ stinx's (as that sports guy says!).
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 22:27
It's just not easy being a musician. At the end of the day its possible for one guy to sit in his bedroom and make music with the technology that is available. If you work hard enough you can make enough money from it eventually to give up your day job. 
Greg Spawton (Big Big Train) had the idea for a band in the early 90's and via using mainly session musicians put out several albums. It didn't become an actual band though until aroung 2013 and they only had their first UK chart album (The full charts) about 4 years ago! He gave up his day job about 20 years after he had the initial idea. Crazy situation but it is what it is.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 22:41

I pay with my Visa every time. And actually bought a song now just to check.

-anyway I hope this will open up for another, better platform for the artists (even if Bandcamp hasn't been the worst idea. At least not until recently)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 23:05
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I pay with my Visa every time. And actually bought a song now just to check.

-anyway I hope this will open up for another, better platform for the artists (even if Bandcamp hasn't been the worst idea. At least not until recently)

Physical media purchases outside the US require a PayPal intermediary for currency exchange and post. Digital can be purchased direct through credit.

Anyway, this is not great news, but it is pretty much the name of the game. Create a startup, run it for awhile, then sell it to some inefficient bloated corp that runs it into the ground. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2023 at 23:07
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Certainly, when it's available. Sadly, media overhead is a problem for a lot of outstanding, small scale artists.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 01:32
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Certainly, when it's available. Sadly, media overhead is a problem for a lot of outstanding, small scale artists.

Totally. As an indie musician living on the verge of poverty in a 3rd world post-USSR country, I can't afford having physical copies of my albums printed out.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 03:35
This has echoes of mp3.com from 20 years ago, or ampcast.com not long after that. 
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:01
There is an indicator for incoming recessions. Currently, that indicator predicts a significant recession to begin to ratchet up and escalate from December 2023 to March 2024 and last at least a year.  

What is the indicator?  Ratios of 3-month and 2-year Treasury yields to the 10-year yield offer an accurate recession warning signal, with recessions starting roughly 14 months after readings >1.0. This is commonly referred to as an inverted yield curve.  Note that a valid recession signal requires >1.0 readings from both indicators simultaneously. These ratios are the current gold standard of recession predictors, with a perfect, ten-for-ten prediction rate since 1950.

The signal went red in November of 2022.  Both indicators have stayed within the warning area since then.  Actually, the 2-year Treasury yield inverted in May 2022. 

The three previous yield curve inversions predicted the 2020 Covid recession, the 2008-2009 real estate bust, and the 2001-2002 dot com. bubble bust.  

Banks lead the way.  Bank of America closed 21 branches in the first week of October.  Wells Fargo closed 15 branches in the first week of October. 

https://confirmedsource.com/bank-of-america/

Edited by omphaloskepsis - October 17 2023 at 04:43
Progkast View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:18
Must be some other factor involved with your situation, because I've always had the option for cc or paypal.

Edited by Progkast - October 17 2023 at 04:35
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:18
It's corporate malarkey of the highest order and nothing more.  

Bandcamp is a haven for some incredible independent music and I will be incredibly disappointed if it disappears. 
Progkast View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progkast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:28
Agreed. There is a lot of good music there, you can choose your format. Artists can sell swag as well as music in several different media. I have ALWAYS  had the option of using a cc OR paypal. Also, they make it easy for artists to share promos of their music. Plenty of artists make money on bandcamp - as opposed to other sites such as Spotify, which all but few denounce as financial black holes. There are also plenty whom have made thousands, if not millions on this platform. Some, notably (one particular rap artist comes to mind, I remember not, but this was some 10 years ago even), who refused a major record label deal because he made more $ using bandcamp. More money in his pocket and less "middle men". I have never heard anyone say anything negative about it, except for the few here on this forum and I am amazed. I am not an artist, but I run or have run both a prog music podcast and a radio show. Bandcamp has been the easiest to use to LISTEN to, as well as download music. I went from not knowing anything about it, to actually preferring it over any other streaming or downloading service. The site is well organized and the artists themselves seem to like it. It is a D shame that this is happening... my advice to anyone who gives it a thumbs down, to actually TRY other services - you may like the 192 kbps mp3 download or other recording methods used from the other sites. ... can't use that low of quality on broadcast radio, so it's useless to me. I attribute the quality and influence of bandcamp to that of Atlantic records. This is a bombshell, and it's only going to continue in a downward spin. Unfortunately.

Edited by Progkast - October 17 2023 at 04:29
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:37
Originally posted by Rottenprogger Rottenprogger wrote:

Bandcamp is a haven for some incredible independent music and I will be incredibly disappointed if it disappears. 
This would be just as disastrous for independent musicians as the demise of the original Myspace in 2013 and the subsequent faulty server migration that occurred in 2018.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 04:53
Let's hope they continue. Over at awesomeprog.com we have more than 6k releases, most of them progressive, linked to their pages at Bandcamp.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2023 at 05:19
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Exactly ... specially as my bank (for example) locks the Credit Card as an untrusted website. 

I'm not a great fan of things like Bandcamp, and I seriously doubt that they are in it "for the artists" ... and are collecting money for advertising on the site, and their commission on the music. In general, I sincerely doubt that any band ... ANY BAND ... out there, can make a living off this site, or any other site ... PERIOD. It's the same thing with Apple, though they have given in to the big names, but everyone else? The numbers are false and misleading, and I doubt, for example, that Tangerine Dream is getting a check for $10 dollars monthly for 16 listens and a few downloads!

While I agree in principal with a lot of what you say here you're overstating your case. Bandcamp are generally considered the best of the available options in terms of artist payment compared to the streaming sites that seem to make up the bulk of the music 'industry' these days. They are certainly a business and charge a fee for their services. They are not 'robbing' anyone. They pay the highest percentage back to the artists and have been a lifeline for small artists.

Would I like to see artists fully control their art end to end and thus reap all the benefits, yes certainly. But they are still unlikely to make a full time living at it and its a lot of work and may not be suited to an individuals particular skill sets. There is some benefit to scale and having a platform you can search and discover on.

Most of the people I talk to as artists and small time record labels reckon they are good for the industry.

This smacks of big corporate getting their hands on the bandcamp catalog of artists and dumping all the 'low value' activities.

I'll watch with interest but I'm not hopeful.
Ian

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>