Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"overlooked and obscure gems albums"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "overlooked and obscure gems albums"
    Posted: October 25 2023 at 21:10
Hmm... I think it's about time our team of prog experts prepared a fresh new set of those for each subgenre! I mean, the same old, tired selection has stayed here for ages to the point the overlooked and obscure albums became cult classics. Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 22:00
I suggest Dark Side of the Moon by an unheard of band called Pink Floyd. Better than it sounds ;)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2023 at 22:14
To clarify, I'm talking about this section. The screenshot shows RPI but it's on every subgenre page.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 00:29
Nice thread, there is already a similar one where people post videos of less known/obscure bands, but anyway...

I'll be back with some examples as soon as i can. Smile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 00:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

there is already a similar one where people post videos of less known/obscure bands

You don't understand! I'm specifically talking about updating the obscure album lists on the main website.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 01:02
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

there is already a similar one where people post videos of less known/obscure bands

You don't understand! I'm specifically talking about updating the obscure album lists on the main website.

You are right, i did not understand. 
What list are you talking about? Confused
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 02:05

Go to any prog subgenre definition/top albums page. Right between the top albums and the latest reviews, there's a little section which says :

{subgenre} overlooked and obscure gems albums new

Every time you refresh the page, a new set of 4 albums is randomly chosen out of a slightly bigger pool (according to the description these are predefined choices made by the so called team of experts).
The thing is, the pools ain't big enough, and you're gonna quickly run out of new recommendations. xD It would be super cool if those pools were expanded! Or even better, regularly updated. B)
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 02:25

Go to any prog subgenre definition/top albums page. Right between the top albums and the latest reviews, there's a little section which says :

{subgenre} overlooked and obscure gems albums new

Every time you refresh the page, a new set of 4 albums is randomly chosen out of a slightly bigger pool (according to the description these are predefined choices made by the so called team of experts).
The thing is, the pools ain't big enough, and you're gonna quickly run out of new recommendations. xD It would be super cool if those pools were expanded! Or even better, regularly updated. B)

4 new albums appear when the page is reloaded. people could discover new music. I think that was the point of listing less known albums there. 

A bigger pool?! I don't think it will happen, such change to the archives is unlikely to happen these days.

The "overlooked and obscure gems albums" is not new anymore, it's been there for years, the word "new" should have been taken down. 

Edited by Cristi - October 26 2023 at 02:51
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 02:47
4 new albums appear when the page is reloaded. people could discover new music. I think that was the point of listing less known album there. 
That's exactly how I got to know some of the greatest albums on this website so I think the feature is great! But the problem lies in how limited the overall selection of albums is. Once the reader gets to know all those records, there's not much more to take out from this generator, the feature becomes useless. If the album pools were expanded from time to time, It'd be way more fun.

A bigger pool?! I don't think it will happen, such changes to the archives is unlikely to happen these days.

Well, if that's true, then that's a bummer.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 02:55

4 new albums appear when the page is reloaded. people could discover new music. I think that was the point of listing less known album there. 
That's exactly how I got to know some of the greatest albums on this website so I think the feature is great! But the problem lies in how limited the overall selection of albums is. Once the reader gets to know all those records, there's not much more to take out from this generator, the feature becomes useless. If the album pools were expanded from time to time, It'd be way more fun.

A bigger pool?! I don't think it will happen, such change to the archives is unlikely to happen these days.

So you do not want people to give you examples of less known albums they think are good or great? I thought that was the point of the thread. EmbarrassedSmile
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 03:06

So you do not want people to give you examples of less known albums they think are good or great? I thought that was the point of the thread. EmbarrassedSmile

That's not really what I intented this thread to be tbh. I mean, we've got an entire forum dedicated to recommending stuff (Prog Recommendations/Featured albums). :P I just wanted to suggest updating a Progarchives feature.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 03:09

That's not really what I intented this thread to be tbh. I mean, we've got an entire forum dedicated to recommending stuff (Prog Recommendations/Featured albums). :P I just wanted to suggest updating a Progarchives feature.

My bad, you even posted this in the right place for that - Help us improve the site Smile
Write an admin and ask what can happen and what cannot. 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2023 at 10:31
You can actually add or delete albums from this list through the admin section (if you're a collab).

Edited by Tuzvihar - October 26 2023 at 10:57
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply