Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles - Now and Then

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles - Now and Then
    Posted: October 29 2023 at 19:40
I'm sure this will spark some heated debate... just what we need here at PA, since we don't have enough of that already LOL

As I'm sure you've all heard, the Beatles are releasing this supposed 'FINAL TRACK' (STILL WAITING for 'Carnival of Light')

They're not adding anything that wasn't there, don't worry..

I for one am excited, I never expected to get a new Beatles song in my lifetime

What are y'all's thoughts?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 19:53
If they do release it i would imagine it will be tacked onto an overpriced box set that features all the tracks that we already have on a huge number of other releases already.

Add to that if it has been neglected this long then it's probably not anything to get over excited about.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 19:57
It will be released as a 7-inch single for $17 on black vinyl, $20 (USD) on Colored vinyl, and the 12" is $22, they're releasing it on remastered, remixed, and expanded Red and Blue albums, on colored blue vinyl (for the blue album, the red one has red vinyl) it's $80, which is ridiculous

You can find out all about it through various YouTube videos and their website, 

I'll listen to the track on digital, and then consider buying the 7-inch single
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 20:17
Well at this point anything from The Beatles is welcome no matter how inferior it may be to the cream of the crop. Maybe it was just a lost tape in the attic. I'm definitely interested in hearing it :)

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 20:37
^ The old version is around, if the link doesn't work just check youtube "Now and Then"by john lennon -- performed live by Apple Jam

It's far from John's best and the melodic content was a bit better on 'Free as a Bird' & 'Real Love', but it's not a bad composition for the time.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 20:37
^There were 4 tapes on the cassette Yoko gave Paul, something which they scrapped VERY early on, (it was nonsense by Paul McCartney standards) Free As a Bird, Real Love, and Now and Then

Oh I've very interested in hearing it, buying a physical copy for that much is another story

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 20:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ The old version is around, if the link doesn't work just check youtube "Now and Then"by john lennon -- performed live by Apple Jam

It's far from John's best and the melodic content was a bit better on 'Free as a Bird' & 'Real Love', but it's not a bad composition for the time.  

Thanks for that :)

Missed this one somehow.

Sounds like a typical Lennon song.

Not bad at all but needed work to be a real zinger.

I do love Free As A Bird and Real Love.

Those were perfect bonus tracks for those anthology albums.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 20:58
^I heard Paul plays some slide guitar on it, that should be interesting

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2023 at 23:06
It's not going to be another Penny Lane or Eleanor Rigby. Underwelmed but it can't do any damage to an amazing legacy. It's of some small interest so will maybe give it a listen.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 01:29
Looking forward to hearing it. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:01
Will it be better than Free as a Bird or Real Love?

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:15
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If they do release it i would imagine it will be tacked onto an overpriced box set that features all the tracks that we already have on a huge number of other releases already.

Add to that if it has been neglected this long then it's probably not anything to get over excited about.

Well, there are some very expensive reissues of the Red and Blue albums on vinyl, with some changes to the track listing.

The new track itself has been "neglected" because it's taken AI technology to get it to a listenable state.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:15

The link does not work for me. 
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:18

Corrected link.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:20
^ Thanks Smile
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 08:22
This is the best version I can find, it's actually quite a haunting melody considering the circumstances.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 09:50
In the words of an old Beatles song: Let it be.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 15:36
It is clearly, painfully a period Lennon cut and sounds nothing like anything the Beatles did or would ever do.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2023 at 20:44
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

I'm sure this will spark some heated debate... just what we need here at PA, since we don't have enough of that already LOL

As I'm sure you've all heard, the Beatles are releasing this supposed 'FINAL TRACK' (STILL WAITING for 'Carnival of Light')

They're not adding anything that wasn't there, don't worry..

I for one am excited, I never expected to get a new Beatles song in my lifetime

What are y'all's thoughts?

I personally wouldn't get too excited about "Carnival of Light". 

Just anther unreleased experiment that has gained some kind of mythical status purely because it remains unreleased. 

A sound experiment Paul flung together in an attempt to enhance a reputation for innovation. I think there's a reason it has remained unreleased.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 05:43
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Will it be better than Free as a Bird or Real Love?

From what I've heard above, yess, a bit better

But so what? They won't get me to buy it it.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>