Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jacques Tom Rivest (CA) - former leader of Pollen
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jacques Tom Rivest (CA) - former leader of Pollen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jacques Tom Rivest (CA) - former leader of Pollen
    Posted: October 31 2023 at 19:04
Jacques Tom Rivest was the leader and one of the founding singers/multi-instrumentalists of the Québécois symphonic prog band Pollen, who released just a single self-titled album in 1976 before splitting up. Rivest then released a solo album in 1979 which has been added to Pollen's discography here on PA, but does it really belong under Pollen? I know several former members of Pollen played on it, but Pollen as a band split up in 1976, and the solo album didn't land until three years later. Perhaps Jacques Tom Rivest needs to be evaluated for inclusion here in his own right?

Rivest released the self-titled debut solo album in 1979 featuring three members of Pollen's original lineup (including drummer Serge Courchesne, who quit the band on the eve of the Gentle Giant tour back in 1974) along with Daniel Mathieu, the former bassist of another Québécois progressive rock band called Solstice, who we have on here in JR/F. Whilst the music on this album certainly has plenty of flashes of the instrumental fireworks typical of Pollen, it doesn't really sound like that band in terms of song structure. The music leans more towards atmospheric folk-rock and pop-rock overall really, with the songs generally being much more melodic and commercial, but some prog influences do remain. A non-album single is included at the end as a bonus track.

Rivest continued his solo recording career in the early 80s, and with his name shortened to just "Tom", he recorded another self-titled album 'Tom Rivest' in 1981, which was even more commercially orientated, following it up with the now hard-to-find 'Voyage Dans L'Univers' a few years later in 1984. This latter album has been described as beautiful all-instrumental synth-driven ambient new age music, with some nice Floyd-ish progressive tones.

Rivest later became Canadian pop singer and actress Joe Bocan's musical director, helping her win a Félix award for 'Best Pop-Rock Show' in 1989, and 'Best Female Singer' the following year. Besides his own albums, Rivest penned many other songs too, including the music for 'Ces Femmes voilées', which became a huge hit for Joe Bocan, and he released more albums of his own in the mid to late 90s, such as the Reves D'enfants (Children's Dreams) CD in 1996, and an album of Halloween-themed music on cassette in 1997, called simply 'Halloween'. He has also composed soundtracks for theater, film and television.

The debut 1979 album is the one that needs to be evaluated by one of the teams if it is agreed that it really does need to be assigned to Jacques Tom Rivest himself rather than being bundled here under Pollen, and it can be found on YouTube Music or Spotify. It sounds like a mixture of Prog Folk and Crossover Prog to me, with occasional Symphonic moments here and there, so I don't really know which team should be the one to start any evaluation.

The album is already on the site under Pollen, so would just need moving to Jacques Tom Rivest's new page if he were to be evaluated and approved for inclusion as a solo artist. The album isn't included under Pollen on RYM (where it can be found on his own page there), or Proggnosis (who don't have it either under Pollen or as a Rivest solo release).

Thoughts anyone? 

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2023 at 19:16
Whoa! I had no idea Tom Rivest was still active after the 1979 s/t album

I'd say this. If Fish Rising isn't listed on PA as a Khan album, then I don't see any reason for Jacques Tom Rivest to be listed as a Pollen album.

Edited by Hrychu - October 31 2023 at 19:22
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 05:10
Tom's son Gabriel was a member here for a few years as Tsevir, and never hinted or claimed  that his dad had made 80's albums.

Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Thoughts anyone? 

Most likely, the entering of his solo album under Pollen was my doing Embarrassed(but it's been corrected many times since). TBH, I had no idea he's made later albums.

RYM lists at least one self-titled album that is dated from 81, (to which AshraTom says it's impossible to sit through >> currently listening to it on Discogs, it's not that bad if you're francophone >> it's actually quite acceptable french proggy-pop) 
And another without date (Discogs says 84), but mentionned as "new age".
Rêves d'Enfant (from 96) is only listed in Dicogs and tagged as New Age as well.

==============

TBH, if I was never enamoured with his first solo album (I don't find it "prog", but I'm in a minority). I accepted to list it under Pollen (as it was suggested to me by ProgLucky - one of the two site-owners - at the time).

If we are to open a Rivest solo page, we'd have to see/listen to his other albums to see if it's "prog" enough to have its own page.
Based (so far) on his 81 solo, it's  enough to warrant a prog-related entry (but little more, IMHO), but we will have to try to find out about his later albums ASAP - if we can find it, but after a brief try and I came up empty.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2023 at 07:44
^ Thanks for that input. Smile

The only albums of Jacques Tom Rivest that I was able to find listening samples for were the one from 1979 that we currently have under Pollen, and the 1981 album that he released next as just 'Tom Rivest'.

The 1984 'Voyage Dans L'Univers' vinyl album sells secondhand now and again. Apparently 22 people with Discogs accounts have it, and you can view the details of the disc itself here, where a copy was sold for about 10 bucks back in 2013.

Unless someone on here has the album, and can provide listening samples of this (and/or the other later albums that he released) then we're limited to those first two albums as far as listening sample go. I too don't find the 1981 album to be progressive rock in any way shape or form - the music it contains is just highly polished and very melodic commercial pop-rock to my own ears, though that's not to say it isn't a very fine album of that particular genre.

Only one person on Discogs has a copy of the 1996 album 'Reves D'enfants (Children's Dreams)', and the album is tagged as 'Electronic, New Age, Ambient' on that site. It's obviously a very rare album indeed. The 1997 'Halloween' CD and cassette release is apparently owned by five people on Discogs as a CD and one person as a cassette, Five copies of the CD version have been sold on there, but no copy of the cassette it seems, so that album also seems to be pretty rare, and is tagged on Discogs as 'pop' anyway.

As far as I'm aware though, as long as an artist has released one album that can be considered to be progressive rock, then they are eligible to be evaluated for inclusion here. I don't personally believe that the 1979 album should be lumped under Pollen, since I think its style is quite markedly different from that band's excellent sole album from 1976, but I do consider it progressive enough to merit Jacques Tom Rivest being given his own page on here.

The 10 songs on that second solo album from 1981 can be heard on YouTube - either via the Discogs page for the album, or the YouTube channel of the uploader. All the other albums he released are listed on Discogs, and also here.

If the samples of Jacques Tom Rivest's solo music that are currently available for listening aren't considered to be enough for an evaluation to take place, then I guess the 1979 album has to stay where it is, but no other site has it listed under Pollen as far as I can tell.

Post Reply Post Reply