Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vamoosery - Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Julian Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vamoosery - Crossover Prog
    Posted: November 03 2023 at 13:18
Hi all. I am a member of this band. Officially, we have been labelling ourselves "female-fronted progressive alt rock", but I have chosen the potential sub genre based on the categories listed on the prog archives website. We float between rock genres a bit, so honestly very open to hearing where people think we sit on the spectrum. 

If it helps, I would broadly describe the sound as melodic and predominantly guitar-driven, with pop-influenced female vocals, but also making use of mellotron, organ, synths and orchestral arrangements. Conventional song structure can often be the basis, but is also departed from with tempo/time/feel changes. 

Here's a quick bio (official band bio can be found on other links below):

Vamoosery, originally named "Go.Rebuild", were put together for a "battle of the bands" in 2012. Until recent years, they were a predominantly live band with a shifting line-up and range of genre influences. An official EP was released in 2015, but has been removed online and treated as a promotional item ever since the band decided to re-arrange/rerecord the material. This, alongside newer music, takes the form of their 2023 album "Moving Forward", for which they worked alongside mix/master engineer Rob Aubrey of Big Big Train/IQ. In parallel to the album's production, the band have released singles, lockdown music sessions and traditional Christmas covers. 

Current line-up:

Sheridan White - lead vocals
Joel Julian - Electric and acoustic guitars, keys, backing vocals
James Nicholson - Electric guitars, backing vocals
Richard Taylor - Bass, backing vocals, harsh vocals
Kevin Button - Drums, percussion, backing vocals

Band photo:

https://scontent.fbhx4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.6435-9/178478606_3925108824236540_8942077550182228361_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=300f58&_nc_ohc=bSr7fuC_FCgAX-IGMUR&_nc_ht=scontent.fbhx4-1.fna&oh=00_AfBR7DRbVuzNw8cXocAmXxbi2h9yOXJKBRgWdJ1MixvW-A&oe=656CAA28

^^ posting as link because it's BIG. More photos, including live shots, can be found on the website and social media platforms. 

Specific song examples:

Other Relevant links:

(sorry for the lack of hyperlinks - they don't seem to work when I preview them)
  • Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/0xMy7EHlvs3FgcRiBR99DB?si=nvBjkVUuQSK0A0gpHfWTPQ 
  • bandcamp.com (for other streaming examples and majority of discography)
  • Facebook
  • Official website: Vamoosery

Please let me know if anything else is required/would be helpful. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 13:20
ok, noted Smile
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 17:34
Rivertree already added you to AwesomeProg a few days ago - I added all the links that we currently support. Listening to the album now!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 18:26
Sounds great! Archeologist is my favorite track. Smile

Art Rock, 4.5 stars
"Great Art Rock with sophisticated female vocals and distinctly progressive elements throughout, especially in the second half of the album."
Joel Julian Music View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Julian Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 19:18
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Sounds great! Archeologist is my favorite track. Smile

Art Rock, 4.5 stars
"Great Art Rock with sophisticated female vocals and distinctly progressive elements throughout, especially in the second half of the album."

Thanks, Mike! Didn't realise we'd been added on awesomeprog. So glad you like it - the whole band are quite fond of Archaeologist too :). As it turns out, the album was organised chronologically according to when the songs were written, so it tracks a shift in our style of writing (hence the more experimental second half). I expect we'll come across more explicitly prog in future projects. 

Edited by Joel Julian Music - November 03 2023 at 19:20
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2023 at 21:18
I absolutely love this album! I tend to enjoy female fronted bands in general anyway, but this is really something special. As you say, picking a PA sub genre for this music isn't easy at all. For an overall category to summarise the entire album I would probably go for Heavy Prog rather than Crossover, but it's not clear cut which of these would be the most suitable by any means. The music has some pretty powerful guitar passages in it at times to say the least, and with the keyboards thrown alongside them I definitely get a Heavy Prog vibe. There are plenty of more subdued passages in these songs too though, which would be more inclined towards Crossover Prog, but I feel that the heavier stuff is the dominant component overall. This would be an incredible album to watch being performed live, that's for sure! Clap
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 03:44
it grows the more I'm listening. The last three tracks are from the finest Clap

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2023 at 03:50
^ Powerful guitars?! Not quite. Not that heavy. I would say yes for crossover. Let's wait for other opinions from the crossover team, before we move to heavy-prog. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 04:30
added
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 05:29
And linked to PA at AP, making it available for the AOTY poll Smile
Joel Julian Music View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joel Julian Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2023 at 15:45
Thanks so much, guys! Much appreciated :)
 Post Reply Post Reply