Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tallest Prog Rockers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tallest Prog Rockers
    Posted: November 11 2023 at 20:46
There was an old thread about this, but it lasted about 5 posts back in 2007, so I figured I'd make a new one. Tallest one I've found is Fish, standing at 6ft 5in (196CM). Anyone else?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 21:14
If I remember correctly, Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon is around 6'7 or 6'8" (depending on which source you consult). That's the tallest one I know of Smile

Edited by Necrotica - November 11 2023 at 21:18
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2023 at 22:11
to reach the old Modular Moog? Rick Wakeman is I think 6ft 3in (my height)
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinprog77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 03:09
Fish [ derek dick ]  is  6'5'
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 04:01

What about the most handsome ones? Big smile
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Van Jackson View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Van Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 05:05
Chris Squire had to be up there (pun intended) at 6'5"!
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 06:56
Don't know his full height, but Triumvirat's Juergen Fritz is very tall!
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 07:06
Mike Rutherford is 6'3". I divided myself up into two groups: meatballs and dish drying racks.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:18
Neil Peart and Chris Squire were 6' 4"
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:21
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

If I remember correctly, Arjen Lucassen of Ayreon is around 6'7 or 6'8" (depending on which source you consult). That's the tallest one I know of Smile

That is a tall man. I thought I read somewhere once that the Dutch on average were the tallest people.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:30
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

to reach the old Modular Moog? Rick Wakeman is I think 6ft 3in (my height)

I'm also 6'3" (if I'm lucky since I seem to be shrinking as I get older- lol) but I used to be 6'4". 

I think Chris Squire was 6'3" also and Fish was reported to be 6'5". 

I can't think of any others. This is kind of a weird topic anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:32
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Neil Peart and Chris Squire were 6' 4"

Yep. That's what is says on google so we'll go with that. If we were to have a thread on shortest prog rockers then Jon Anderson might be on there.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 08:48
Had my photo taken with Marco Minnemann.  Marco is several inches taller than me but shorter than my son.  I'm guessing Marco is 6'3 to 6'4. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 12 2023 at 08:51
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 09:01
I have a nephew who is about 6'5". He's not a prog fan (that I know of) and doesn't play basketball but he does ultimate frisbee and used to be in the marching band. He goes to USC. His older brother is also tall (about 6'4") and also not into prog (like his father and brother- I'm the only one-Lol) and works at a auto parts store and goes to a local college. He's also not into sports but is also a musician (plays guitar). Their mother is also not a prog fan and is 5'11 (my brother is about 6'1") and used to play in the school band (and was also an athlete)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 12 2023 at 09:01
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 09:18
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I have a nephew who is about 6'5". He's not a prog fan (that I know of) and doesn't play basketball but he does ultimate frisbee and used to be in the marching band. He goes to USC. His older brother is also tall (about 6'4") and also not into prog (like his father and brother- I'm the only one-Lol) and works at a auto parts store and goes to a local college. He's also not into sports but is also a musician (plays guitar). Their mother is also not a prog fan and is 5'11 (my brother is about 6'1") and used to play in the school band (and was also an athlete)

I don't think my son is a prog fan.  My son has a side hustle at a major concert arena. He tells me he can score tickets for Moi.  However, mostly dinosaur non-prog bands play there.  I am considering hitting him up for Alice Cooper tickets. My son is 6'9".  He played basketball through his sophomore year.  However, it was because the coaches pestered him to play.

FlowerKingCrimson, you were born into a tall family like mine. I'm four inches taller than my husband. When my husband, my son, and I get together it reminds me of this cartoon family. (Not the violent part...just the height differences)Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - November 12 2023 at 09:34
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 09:38
Peter Blegvad of Slapp Happy & Henry Cow - 6'7"

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - November 12 2023 at 09:40
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 10:05
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

That is a tall man. I thought I read somewhere once that the Dutch on average were the tallest people.

I read (quite recently) that they were the Danes.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 10:41
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I don't think my son is a prog fan.  My son has a side hustle at a major concert arena. He tells me he can score tickets for Moi.  However, mostly dinosaur non-prog bands play there.  I am considering hitting him up for Alice Cooper tickets. My son is 6'9".  He played basketball through his sophomore year.  However, it was because the coaches pestered him to play.

FlowerKingCrimson, you were born into a tall family like mine. I'm four inches taller than my husband. When my husband, my son, and I get together it reminds me of this cartoon family. (Not the violent part...just the height differences)Wink

My dad is (or at least was) 6'2" and my mom is (or was) about 5'8". Yes, most of us are on the tall side. I'm guessing you are maybe 6'1" or 6'2"? My cousin's ex-husband was probably about three inches shorter than her (she's 5'10"). 

Alice Cooper would be cool. I'm glad to see he's still at it. I'm guessing he's maybe 5'10". Not every tall person should play basketball imo. I did when I was younger (but not on a school team just for fun) but I was never very good. It is my favorite sport to watch though. 

Likewise, with prog, not everyone who has a relative who likes prog should be forced to listen to prog. I pestered my brother for years to give it a chance and listen to it (and he apparently did listen to some stuff at times but begrudgingly) but overall he never really took to it. He does like Yes to a degree and saw them with me about three times and saw King Crimson with me once but that's about it. He's older than me by three years (usually you would think it's the older sibling who's into prog but that's not the case with me) but he's more into singer/songwirter and alternative stuff and maybe some classic rock (mostly imo because of his wife). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 12 2023 at 10:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 11:21

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

My dad is (or at least was) 6'2" and my mom is (or was) about 5'8". Yes, most of us are on the tall side. I'm guessing you are maybe 6'1" or 6'2"? My cousin's ex-husband was probably about three inches shorter than her (she's 5'10"). 

Alice Cooper would be cool. I'm glad to see he's still at it. I'm guessing he's maybe 5'10". Not every tall person should play basketball imo. I did when I was younger (but not on a school team just for fun) but I was never very good. It is my favorite sport to watch though. 

Likewise, with prog, not everyone who has a relative who likes prog should be forced to listen to prog. I pestered my brother for years to give it a chance and listen to it (and he apparently did listen to some stuff at times but begrudgingly) but overall he never really took to it. He does like Yes to a degree and saw them with me about three times and saw King Crimson with me once but that's about it. He's older than me by three years (usually you would think it's the older sibling who's into prog but that's not the case with me) but he's more into singer/songwirter and alternative stuff and maybe some classic rock (mostly imo because of his wife). 

Yeah, I'm almost 6'1".  Tall for a woman.  I was self-conscious of my height as a girl and a teenager.  Not so much anymore.  My husband loves prog as much as I do.  He's more into Krautrock and RIO than me. I like Italian and Crossover more than he. Wink

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2023 at 11:28
I've got a cousin who is 6ft 9, taller than anyone else on this list
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>