Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I dont really get Misplaced Childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpaceJones! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I dont really get Misplaced Childhood
    Posted: December 20 2023 at 00:00
So, i'm an avid rymer who discovered this site recently and has been using it to dig through and get more into prog, and so far i've enjoyed almost everything i've heard except for misplaced childhood. I don't get it really, on the one hand i like the surreal melancholy of it and all but all the actual music is just bad aor and the singer delivers all of his lines in such a weird and random way like he's lost track of the song. I'm enjoying what i'm listening to of later marillion right now (I skimmed a bit of brave and it seemed great and I just started marbles and it seems great), but outside of the solos which are pretty good, I can't really get behind misplaced childhood even though i want to in concept. I mean, "Kayleigh" almost sounds like a bad joke/parody song to me.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 02:21
To horribly generalise about it, the first side (in old money) is more on the pop side before it's gets to the good stuff like the harrowing Blind Curve and the end of the album packs a real punch. Always rated it about 3 - 3.5 stars , personally I prefer the first couple they did a lot more.
Zgljone86 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zgljone86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 02:49
You shouldn't force yourself into liking it if you obviously don't like it. Some songs grow on you immediately, some after a while and some never really do, it's not a big deal. There's so many artists to explore, instead of forcing yourself to like that particular album.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 03:00
Originally posted by SpaceJones! SpaceJones! wrote:

So, i'm an avid rymer who discovered this site recently and has been using it to dig through and get more into prog, and so far i've enjoyed almost everything i've heard except for misplaced childhood. I don't get it really, on the one hand i like the surreal melancholy of it and all but all the actual music is just bad aor and the singer delivers all of his lines in such a weird and random way like he's lost track of the song. I'm enjoying what i'm listening to of later marillion right now (I skimmed a bit of brave and it seemed great and I just started marbles and it seems great), but outside of the solos which are pretty good, I can't really get behind misplaced childhood even though i want to in concept. I mean, "Kayleigh" almost sounds like a bad joke/parody song to me.

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. But don't expect it to click instantly, it's not an easy listening pop album. 

As for Fish's delivery being "weird and random", I think he's got his own style, a unique vocal delivery, nothing is random about it. You can complain his lyrics are too wordy, but he always pulled it through IMO. 

Side B is indeed more interesting than the first one, Blind Curve being one of the best songs they ever did. 

Edited by Cristi - December 20 2023 at 11:02
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 03:07
I bought it the day it was released in my country. I actually loved Fugazi and Real To Reel, but Scripts was not yet available here. The same day I bought Soft Machine's Land Of Cockayne and I remember tripping at a friend's home with both the albums. 
You have to consider that in 1983 there was just MTV and few radios, the actial music was standardized on Yamaha and Korg keyboards, Fairlight for the rich, sequenced drums and a lot of gel in the hair. Misplaced Childhood brought a bit of good prog into our lives. It's true: Kayleigh is a commercial song, I think it's still their biggest commercial success, but it's part of a concept album. Listened together with Pseudo-silk Kimono and Lavender it has a different flavor. As Richardh says, the B side of the vinyl is better. 
It's probably me, but I think Marillion tried in the second part to follow the structure of The Dark Side of the Moon, with Expresso Bongo taking the role of Money and the title track with White Feather in the roles of Brain Damage and Eclipse. 

Back to Kayleigh: it's a real person. Fish has revealed the story in an interview. She was a nurse, passed away for a cancer years after the album release.

P.S. - I can't get into Genesis and Selling England By The Pound. We all have "faults".

Edited by octopus-4 - December 20 2023 at 03:10
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 05:17
I was not fond of MC at first.   Then,  I saw the Live in Loreley DVD. The live performances from Misplaced Childhood animated the studio album in my head. It was as if I was blind and then given sight. Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 21 2023 at 19:07
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 05:49
Originally posted by Zgljone86 Zgljone86 wrote:

You shouldn't force yourself into liking it if you obviously don't like it. Some songs grow on you immediately, some after a while and some never really do, it's not a big deal. There's so many artists to explore, instead of forcing yourself to like that particular album.
This is exactly how I feel. If you don't like it, no matter how much you've tried, just don't bother anymore. Maybe in a few months, years, you might try it again, but if you don't get it, if the music doesn't please you, What's the big deal?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 07:33
Other than much late 60s through 70s music that it seems like the majority enjoy, after that it becomes much more divisive generally.

Welcome to the forum, SpaceJones!, and I would enjoy hearing about your favourite albums be they Prog or not.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 10:16
My fav Fish era Marillion albums.......I get it.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 11:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My fav Fish era Marillion albums.......I get it.

Mine too - then Fugazi.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 11:54
I'm not into MC, either. Fugazi and Clutching at Straws, however, are classics!!!
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 11:57
Fish's randomness in his vocal delivery is nothing compared to Cyrus (of Citizen Cain). xD That guy's way of articulating his lyrics while singing "in character" is so frantic, it has to be heard to be believed. IMO both are awesome.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 15:21
Originally posted by SpaceJones! SpaceJones! wrote:

So, i'm an avid rymer who discovered this site recently and has been using it to dig through and get more into prog
I stopped reading here. Try listening to music, not tags/genres
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2023 at 16:53
I remember seeing Marillion “perform” Kayleigh on Top Of The Pops on TV in the UK back in 1985, I was 14. I liked the song but didn’t think much of Fish. Rock was still just round the corner for me, ‘80s pop was still my thing then.

I got into Marillion when Seasons’ End came out, hooked (😀) by the singles and H’s voice. I followed them for a while but lost track somewhat, as I did generally with rock/prog when I went to uni and was influenced by Shoegaze and Britpop, and then grunge. I didn’t hear Misplaced Childhood until someone (Andrea, feisty technician) shoved it into a cassette player in a lab I was working in at Cardiff University in 2001 - and I suddenly realised what I’d been missing!! Magical, haunting, beautiful: and I still don’t fully understand it!!

MC, CAS and Brave are Marillion’s 3 masterpieces.

And I still absolutely love Kayleigh!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 16:51
I dated a girl named Kayleigh when that song was at its height - she hated it and the band, but I dragged her to the Rush/Marillion show at the Nassau Coliseum anyway.  Spring of 1986, Kayleigh stopped calling me shortly thereafter.  Anybody else see that tour?   

Edited by Intruder - December 21 2023 at 16:54
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 19:00
^ That seems to explode the myth that Fish invented the name Kayleigh (his ex girlfriend was Kay Lee) as a fake Scottish name that was later adopted by many for real.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 04:20
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Fish's randomness in his vocal delivery is nothing compared to Cyrus (of Citizen Cain). xD That guy's way of articulating his lyrics while singing "in character" is so frantic, it has to be heard to be believed. IMO both are awesome.

Hi,

I'm not sure that Fish's delivery is "frantic" ... but what you are saying is that winging in a rock band can not be a theatrical endeavour, which is sad. Peter Hammill is a natural "actor". Meatloaf is "an actor that happens to sing". Mick is really good as "living" his lyrics! And the list is endless.

I'm guessing that some rock fans want lyrics without feeling, so they have a chance to figure out what is being said without being influenced. I would like to say that they are in the wrong place, then.

Fish had the misfortune of coming up after GENESIS, and we had this idea that PG was some kind of actor in that band, and in the end, he wasn't ... he was just a song writer, and he has shown that on his own since he went solo ... there is no time for "acting" ... he figures the emotional content of the words is enough.

It's bizarre that some rock music listeners are not aware of the most important and used theater moment ... the same word/sentence, can be said a thousand different ways ... but somehow, in this case we have to make sure that Fish and everyone else, can not be the person that they are. 

The comparison of Fish/PG is gross. People are getting stuck on what would be considered a similar voice, not the content that the person is delivering, which simply tells you ... some folks don't take the time to actually listen ... and learn. I would rather take a Fish in my band, because it gives me more ways that the music can be done ... as opposed to the overly large ego by PG. Some nice stuff ... so what?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 05:51
I honestly tried Childhood but I never permeated it (or it has permeated me). While I hadn't liked Fugazi's metal approach, I was a major taker in Script's embroilded lyrics (Clesay Monday s probably my fave Rillion track) and musical drama. Script remains a top 100 album, but the only one of the band and of the whole neo-prog sugbenre.
Brave is a very distant second/third, but probably not in my top 1000, just like IQ's The Wake (discovered and liked around the same years). I'm not even sure MC would find a spot in my top 5000.

I had tried to discover what had happened before Script (just like I had tired with IQ prior to The Wake) and had to resort to buy these compilation albums (spent a small fortune for the MSH/Grendel EP as an import, Reel was disappointing and B-sides came too late), but nothing resonated like Script either - not even Grendel. Fortunately I got a hold of the Recital VHS cassette to confirm my love for Script - despite a poor sound quality. 

Sooooooo, Childhood never resonnated with me, beit the concept (and lyrics), but also because there was no instrumental space. Just too talkative, IMHO. Of course, Kayleigh and Lavender Lily did not heip and disliked both (I had liked Punch & Judy and loved He Knows You Know).

I then gave up on the band and didn't even bother with Straws until the millenium, even if I saw the Thieving Magpie tour (had seen them for the Fugazi tour as well), but it was way too late by then. I had slipped  into 60's jazz and 70's JR/F by the second half of the 80's 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 06:00
Move on my friend. There's plenty of other great prog albums out there to listen to! Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 06:41
That'd be disappointing if my ex was named Kaylee, Kay Lee, or some other variation thereof - it certainly is a lovely name as spelled by Fish, but it loses its Scots/Irishness and takes on a more Americaness if not.  C'mon, Kay Lee looks like the name of a hair product or frozen pie while Kayleigh dances among the primrose o'er a green, green meadow.  Either way, my Kay Lee will always be Kayleigh.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>