Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Release Polls: Open to all PA members

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PA Release Polls: Open to all PA members
    Posted: December 21 2023 at 06:27
How can one best keep track of new releases? About a year ago I started to put effort into collecting many different sources into the AwesomeProg.com (AP) database. But how to pick the most interesting releases to listen to from more than 200 new releases per month?

This is an ongoing effort to chart these new releases. There is a poll for each calendar month (AOTM), and there's also a poll for each year (AOTY). The polls are open to all PA forum users, and they are hosted at AP for technical reasons. Each user can vote for their favorite releases for each month and year, including all types of releases. You do not need to register at AP in order to participate. Simply go to the poll page at AP, select your favorite releases and then post them here in this thread (please only one list per post). If you like you can also register at AP and benefit from other tools like the listening queue and wishlist which can help you to keep track of all the releases you listened to, but like I mentioned above, an AP account will never be required to participate.

Currently the monthly polls have a limit of five releases, and the yearly poll has a limit of 20 releases. The limit means that for each user, only this number of releases from their list will yield points for any particular combined result list. Users can and should submit much longer lists, provided that they have that many favorite releases.

Ok, so let the voting begin! See you on the poll page at
https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023!

To recap, here's how you participate:
- Go to the poll page (link above).
- Select your favorite releases (using the filters and search box).
- Sort your releases.
- Copy the forum code (there's a link/textbox below your list that does that).
- Paste it in a new post in this thread.
- My scripts will eventually capture your list and add it to the database.
- Check the results on the poll page.
- At some point each particular poll will be closed (or at least a snapshot will be made), and the results will be posted in a thread in this forum.

Here's some more suggestions/info for how this works:
- Only put releases on the list which you really find awesome! You do not need to hit the maximum number of releases for each month/year. Each release you put in the list should be a serious recommendation.
- You can and should put any release in the list that you really like, regardless of genre or prog status. By default you can select from all releases at PA (excluding singles/demos/etc), but you can remove that filter and select from all releases at AP.
- From the list you submit the system will pull releases into different combined result lists, including one exclusively for non-prog releases. This enables you to focus on assembling a list of your actual favorite releases, while also making sure that people looking only for progressive music do not get annoyed by non-prog items.
- Don't think of this as a competition between releases where there are winners and losers - it's not about the point "score" a release gets. Instead, think of the "winners" at the top of each list as the more popular releases, and the "losers" at the bottom as the more obscure ones. Check them out preferably, and if you like them, put them in your list! 
- If your favorite release is missing, please register at AP and add it yourself. Any registered user at AP can add artists and releases. You only need to add the basic data (artist name, release name, year and type), and we will add all the metadata we can find, including links to spotify and bandcamp.
- If there's a problem or something is not working correctly, please drop me a PM or contact me via the AP feedback form.
- Even if you do not want to submit a list yourself (yet), you can still browse the lists of other users to find cool music to listen to.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - February 07 2024 at 07:22
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 08:08
Here's my list so far:

1. Confusion Field - Future Impact Of Past Diversions {ap:66318}
2. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak {ap:65242}
3. Angra - Cycles Of Pain {ap:65370}
4. Vamoosery - Moving Forward {ap:66589}
5. Galahad - The Long Goodbye {ap:65324}

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 21 2023 at 11:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 09:22
^ BTW: That Panopticum album made it into RYM's top 25 releases of 2023 list. I don't think it's that great, but I've only listened to it once ...
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 10:11
Ow gosh, now you're very ambitious. That is, I only heard two of the albums listed for November 2023, and I'm honestly not very much inclined to explore most of those others. I already surprised myself that for the year 2023 I listened to 49 albums eligible for the AotY-poll... That's huge, to my standards, since prog is not my "main thing" anymore. There is so many music outside of prog that is as interesting (or even more...) that it is impossible for me (or I'm unwilling) to invest more listening time to things that I know I will only find average...

I guess that this kind of Album of the Month polls is really for the full-time prog listeners - professional or not.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 10:13
I can only do a top 5 at the moment (if that changes I will expand the list)

1. David Cross - David Cross Band : Ice Blue, Silver Sky {ap:66616}
2. LogoS - Bokeh {ap:66825}
3. D'Virgilio, Morse & Jennings - Sophomore {ap:65659}
4. This Winter Machine - The Clockwork Man {ap:65230}
5. Galahad - The Long Goodbye {ap:65324}
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 10:16
1. LogoS - Bokeh {ap:66825}
2. Earthside - Let The Truth Speak {ap:65242}
3. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune {ap:65795}
4. Galahad - The Long Goodbye {ap:65324}
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 11:16
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Ow gosh, now you're very ambitious. That is, I only heard two of the albums listed for November 2023, and I'm honestly not very much inclined to explore most of those others. I already surprised myself that for the year 2023 I listened to 49 albums eligible for the AotY-poll... That's huge, to my standards, since prog is not my "main thing" anymore. There is so many music outside of prog that is as interesting (or even more...) that it is impossible for me (or I'm unwilling) to invest more listening time to things that I know I will only find average...

I guess that this kind of Album of the Month polls is really for the full-time prog listeners - professional or not.
Well, nobody should feel bad about not listening to enough new releases. I’m currently doing that a lot, but I don’t know how long that will last. If this is not for you, then by all means give it a pass. Smile

BTW: I actually think that for a monthly poll we should limit this to the top five releases of each user, so that is the limit I will set. Users can vote for as many releases as they like, but only the top five will be counted.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 21 2023 at 11:22
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 11:47
While I tend to gravitate more towards music not in PA, I will happily come up with five when I listen to more. I want to discover more, especially as we gear up to the Album of the Year and it does get me more excited about modern music in PA (beyond my usual suspects, like Swans, cough cough, for which I need no excuse to listen to at any time).

I see a few in that list that I want listen to and one that I want to re-listen to. Chromb! Cinq had slipped my mind, and that's only from November! That's one to give full spin again. I listened to Kilter's The Suspended Woman just yesterday and really liked it as well as The Snobs - À Distance. Listening to Panopticon's The Rime Of Memory now. I really like Agitation Free and want to listen to Momentum properly. I want to try Melanie Mau & Martin Schnella - The Rainbow Tree. And an Alio Die release will usually make my in PA top of the year. I had played Transcendental Geometries, but I was quite distracted at the time by things that kept coming up. And the Univers Zero I have not even listened to in full yet, and then I see the Ryoko Ono album! I especially will be interested to see December's list when it comes out. And Kraan Zoup needs a proper listen. And Masada (fan of Zorn). I spend a lot of time listening to music as I do other things, but it does compete with listening to some police related stuff.

For now these four

1. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune {ap:65795}
2. The Snobs - À Distance {ap:66824}
3. Kilter - The Suspended Woman {ap:67558}
4. Chromb! - Cinq {ap:65683}

Edited by Logan - December 21 2023 at 12:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 11:56
^ If people enjoy this, I could do it for all months from now on, with a convenient way to re-use your monthly picks in the yearly poll.

There's enough albums being released to choose from year-round, although december is a little bit thin. I've just checked the database, here are the numbers (all releases tagged as prog vs. all in pa):

released_in_month | all | in_pa
-------------------+-----+-------
                 1 | 132 |    74
                 2 | 136 |    80
                 3 | 194 |   100
                 4 | 156 |    82
                 5 | 171 |    88
                 6 | 167 |    88
                 7 | 129 |    67
                 8 | 118 |    62
                 9 | 190 |    96
                10 | 172 |   103
                11 | 115 |    53
                12 |  42 |    27
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 12:27
^ I'm hopeful that various more innovative and quite unique albums will be added to PA not only for December, but November and the earlier months of 2023 before the AOTY nomination process is over. I guess despite having an official results date, if it does not prove problematic to you, people could keep amending their lists later and those results could be updated (need not be seen as such a static Album of the Year result, but I don't see it as a contest which might make some difference in perspective). Especially a debut might not get onto the radar until much later, and then if it is quite unique, at least for PA, it might be harder to find its way into the archives. I tend to like the derivative and innovative, the progressive and regressive, but it's those ones often that seem rather out of the what I think of as typical Prog (or Prog subgenre) boxes that can often interest me the most. I would like all months provided that they are not 12 different topics. I think putting it under one topic, or a few topics might be better actually, would work best. And I'm interested to see people's not in PA lists, so I might like to make one for the year for those not on your lists. It wouldn't work in the cool way yours does, of course.

Now, sh*tsureishimasu, excuse any spelling errors, I'm off to get a sh*tsu massage from my sh*tsu inu as soon as I finish this bowl of lovely sh*take mushrooms.

Edited by Logan - December 21 2023 at 12:47
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 12:30
Quote 3. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune

Oh yes, the 'intelligent' censorship strikes back!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 12:51
^ No sh*t!LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 15:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I'm hopeful that various more innovative and quite unique albums will be added to PA not only for December, but November and the earlier months of 2023 before the AOTY nomination process is over. I guess despite having an official results date, if it does not prove problematic to you, people could keep amending their lists later and those results could be updated (need not be seen as such a static Album of the Year result, but I don't see it as a contest which might make some difference in perspective). Especially a debut might not get onto the radar until much later, and then if it is quite unique, at least for PA, it might be harder to find its way into the archives. I tend to like the derivative and innovative, the progressive and regressive, but it's those ones often that seem rather out of the what I think of as typical Prog (or Prog subgenre) boxes that can often interest me the most. I would like all months provided that they are not 12 different topics. I think putting it under one topic, or a few topics might be better actually, would work best. And I'm interested to see people's not in PA lists, so I might like to make one for the year for those not on your lists. It wouldn't work in the cool way yours does, of course.

Now, sh*tsureishimasu, excuse any spelling errors, I'm off to get a sh*tsu massage from my sh*tsu inu as soon as I finish this bowl of lovely sh*take mushrooms.

That's a tall order for Santa, but maybe he can make it happen Smile
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 16:04
I have only listened to two and enjoy both. The second PoiL Ueda release for 2023 made my year end top 20 and the Gong album would be in a top 30 list. I don't know if it would be right to rank just two out of two, but here they are.

1. PoiL - Poil Ueda: Yosh*tsune {ap:65795}
2. Gong - Unending Ascending {ap:65673}
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 16:06
^ Sure, any vote counts. Even if you have only one album, it will still get five points from you. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 17:29
Ok, I've just completed a big refactoring. The tool now lists non-pa releases as well, and the selection page is much faster. The non-pa releases cannot be selected yet, that will be next.

My plan is that you'll be able to compile a list that can contain both pa and non-pa releases, but you will be able to see which is which, and there will be two separate result tabs. So if you only choose pa releases, nothing will change.

The nice thing about this approach is that as soon as releases get added to pa, they automatically move from the non-pa results to the pa results. All you have to do is to select one consistent list of your top releases. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2023 at 18:04
Quote as I finish this bowl of lovely sh*take mushrooms.

Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 04:31
Hi,

While I would not like to diminish the number of folks in these lists, the one thing that bothers me is that so much of it should not quite be listed as "progressive", which is being infested by bands that are not that at all and just a bunch of songsters. 

That's not to say that "progressive" can not have "songs", but if we go back to the "start", it was more designed and defined by having something more than just a song, with a special meaning, of connection, to the time and place. The majority of the material being listed here is not exactly connected to anything except some sort of idealism about "progressive", which in the end is being diluted with the intent of destroying it in the future.

I can see the November listing as a general part of stuff, but being a part of "progressive" is more than ridiculous in my book, and PA being far more sensitive and detailed as to its ability to include something is all of a sudden, very important to me ... as opposed to the idea of just adding things for the sake of adding things, and then invent the idea that they fit.

Sorry ... just because some one has more entries, does not mean that the listing is better than PA's choices. As such, many of those other websites, are hardly "progressive" as they claim to be!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 05:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

While I would not like to diminish the number of folks in these lists, the one thing that bothers me is that so much of it should not quite be listed as "progressive", which is being infested by bands that are not that at all and just a bunch of songsters. 

I take it you mean the current list of releases to select from? Yes, it currently includes all releases in AP, which includes non-prog music. I will add different modes of selection there (for example, you will be able to limit it to PA releases, or also include releases tagged as prog, or which you yourself tagged as prog, if you are an AP member). The reason is simple: If we truly want to see which releases, besides from those officially listed at PA, users of this forum like best, we should enable them to add anything they want. We can sort out later whether it is prog or not.

That's not to say that "progressive" can not have "songs", but if we go back to the "start", it was more designed and defined by having something more than just a song, with a special meaning, of connection, to the time and place. The majority of the material being listed here is not exactly connected to anything except some sort of idealism about "progressive", which in the end is being diluted with the intent of destroying it in the future.

Wrong place to discuss the age-old question of what defines "prog". Don't care, as far as these lists are concerned - the main criterion should be whether a release is listed at pa or not.

I can see the November listing as a general part of stuff, but being a part of "progressive" is more than ridiculous in my book, and PA being far more sensitive and detailed as to its ability to include something is all of a sudden, very important to me ... as opposed to the idea of just adding things for the sake of adding things, and then invent the idea that they fit.

Quite a serious accusation! Well, you're being really vague. Please give an example. Who put which release in the list as "prog" which you think is not prog?

Sorry ... just because some one has more entries, does not mean that the listing is better than PA's choices. As such, many of those other websites, are hardly "progressive" as they claim to be!

You misunderstand the purpose. We don't include non-pa releases because they are "better". We do so because among the non-pa releases there are many which will almost assuredly make it into the archives in the future. There are many of us, myself included, who would be really interested in all the new releases we listen to and enjoy.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 22 2023 at 05:49
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 06:38
^ case in point: You like Staraya Derevnya, but they are not in the archives (yet). You’ll soon be able to select their latest release for the November list. And you should - I would be glad to see which recent releases you really like, regardless of whether they are in the archives.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 22 2023 at 06:39
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>