Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Movies of the 50s?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Movies of the 50s?
    Posted: January 05 2024 at 15:50
On The Waterfront
La Strada
Ace In The Hole
The Seventh Seal
Pickpocket
Ikiru
Rashomon
A Face In The Crowd
Cairo Station
Beautiful
The Roof
A Man Escaped
12 Angry Men
Wild Strawberries
Anatahan
Seven Samurai
Shane
Little Fugitive
Sunset Blvd
Miracle in Milan
All About Eve
The 400 Blows
Nights of Cabiria
Marty
Come Back, Little Sheba
The Cranes Are Flying
Paths of Glory
The Bridge
Man On The Tracks
Ordet
Kraner's Confectionary
The Harder They Fall
Pather Panchai
A Streetcar Named Desire
General Della Rovere
Hondo
Lust For Life
The Desperate Hours
Summer With Monika
The Killing
Tokyo Story
From Here To Eternity
Diary of a Country Priest
All That Heaven Allows
The Human Condition
Big Deal On Madonna Street
I Want To Live!
The Young And The Damned
Caged
On The Bowery
White Nights
Ballad of a Soldier
Home Before Dark
Salt of the Earth
It Happened In Broad Daylight
I Live In Fear
Il Gido
The Cousins
Le Beau Serge
The Destiny of Man
Love In The City
A Generation
These Wilder Years
Venom and Eternity
Ice Cold Alex
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2024 at 16:05
Rebel w/o a Cause
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 00:34
All mine would be British films

There were 4 Carry On films featuring the likes of the late great Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques.

Great war film The Dam Busters about the so called 'bouncing bomb' that was developed by genius engineeer Barnes Wallis for the raids on the dams in the Ruhr valley during WWII. Michael Redgrave (father of Vanessa Redgrave, Natasha Richardson and Joely Richardson) played him in the film.

The Hammer Horror Films:
The Curse Of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Quatermass Xperiment (not a misspelling!)

The first 2 Hammer films featured the teaming up of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing that continued well into the 70's. The Quatermass Xperiment is a truly scary sci-fi horror film that predates Alien and The Thing by over 20 years. An astronaut returns from space but there is something just not right about him.

Edited by richardh - January 06 2024 at 23:29
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 01:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Quatermass Xperiment is a truly scary sci-fi horror film that predates Alien and The Thing by over 20 years. An astronaut returns from space but there is something just not right about him.

I think I saw The Quatermass Xperiment, the title seems familiar, I will watch it again soon. Smile
The Thing is the remake of an early 50s movie The Thing From Outer Space.

Alien ripped off a little bit a mid 60s Italian Sci-fi movie called Planet of Vampires, directed by Mario Bava. Definitely worth a watch. Tongue
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 10:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

The Quatermass Xperiment is a truly scary sci-fi horror film that predates Alien and The Thing by over 20 years. An astronaut returns from space but there is something just not right about him.

I think I saw The Quatermass Xperiment, the title seems familiar, I will watch it again soon. Smile
The Thing is the remake of an early 50s movie The Thing From Outer Space.

Alien ripped off a little bit a mid 60s Italian Sci-fi movie called Planet of Vampires, directed by Mario Bava. Definitely worth a watch. Tongue

Yes forgot about that!

There is a better Quatermass film that came out in the 60's (3rd in the series I think) called Quatermass and The Pit. Very atmospheric and creepy film.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 20:24
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

On The Waterfront
La Strada
The Seventh Seal
Ikiru
Rashomon
Wild Strawberries
Seven Samurai
The 400 Blows
Nights of Cabiria
Paths of Glory
A Streetcar Named Desire
Lust For Life
The Killing
From Here To Eternity

Hi,

For the most part it's all the great big names of the history of cinema, although Luis Bunuel is not well represented at all ... for me, the subtitles was not a problem, though in the case of Luis's stuff in the subtitles were so bad that I spent the whole time laughing at them and the audience laughing at me, though some people finally figured out what was going on ... in one example, there were so many "4 letter words" in it, that you wouldn't get it (even the slang part) unless you were aware of it, and academia doesn't teach the ... street side of the language! (so to speak!)

The American side was a bit later for me, though I did not really got to it as much until the university days as a directing major ... when I learned more about the Actor's Studio and the 50's folks that made it, though some ended up in Hollywood ... but Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, and others ... were already known in our house and I had read some of them. But I knew no English before October 1965, so yo can have a better idea how tough it was to read these things then, but later I caught up with them.

The sci-fi stuff that had Bernard Herrmann's music is also far out ... and I still like it a lot. The creativity involved is amazing.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2024 at 20:30

All mine would be British films
The Hammer Horror Films:
The Curse Of Frankenstein
Dracula
The Quatermass Xperiment (not a misspelling!)
The first 2 Hammer films featured the teaming up of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing that continued well into the 70's. The Quatermass Xperiment is a truly scary sci-fi horror film that predates Alien and The Thing by over 20 years. An astronaut returns from space but there is something just not right about him.

Hi,

I got into these as Guy Guden was the virtual library of anything/everything that  the Hammer Studios did and both Chris and Peter ended up becoming good friends with Guy.

After all the Hammer films (all the Dracula and Frankenstein one with one exception I think that I have not seen), came The Goons (comedy) that pretty much got me the first taste of Dr. Who and then some of the sci-fi stuff ... and to me, that comedy still is the most progressive thing ever done in the media ... it was way out there in terms of creativity and very special ... it's just a shame that the Goons themselves did not participate on a couple of films that just about stole the "visual" stuff that the Goons had created on radio with sound effects to the max. 

I'm not sure that this generation has the ability to have fun with the sound effects that the Goons, and the Warner Brothers' cartoons went on to show us ... and no one will sit through a sound track of one of those cartoons without the visual to realize how experimental and nutz they were!

Edited by moshkito - January 13 2024 at 20:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply