Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Album of the Year Discussion thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 21:39
Unless I'm mistaken I seem to have lost my selection when I click on the link to AP so am unable to change it unless I start from scratch again. I would certainly add eMolecule as a non PA release to my list and also the TEMIC release (Haken spin off band)
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2023 at 01:29
^ currently the selection is stored in the browser, so if you use the same browser it should still be available. Otherwise, if you can wait another day, I will enable you to import your old selection. Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 24 2023 at 17:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2023 at 17:24
Update: Today I fixed the points calculation and added description texts to all the charts. With the new calculation method there is no "penalty" for submitting non-pa releases in-between pa-releases, the resulting all-users chart will calculate the points (20 for the #1 release, 19 from the #2 and so forth) from the filtered user lists.

TL;DR: Feel free to submit as many releases as you like - PA, AP, Prog, Non-Prog ... the PA chart, and also all the other charts, will use the maximum points possible from each user list.

EDIT: @richardh: Sorry, had to finish this - will implement the import feature tomorrow.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 24 2023 at 17:25
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 11:28
And here it is: You are now able to import your old selection - just copy your list code in the forum and paste it into the text box in the tool which says "Lost your selection? ...".

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 11:52
And another feature: The list of releases to choose from is limited to PA releases by default again. Just click "show all releases" to see all available releases. Makes it easier for everyone who primarily cares about PA releases, and it is still the main aspect of the poll.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 25 2023 at 12:18
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 12:32
There are several albums I'd like to check out on your list, but first things first
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

2. [Non-PA] Lingua Ignota - THE END : LIVE AT ISLINGTON ASSEMBLY HALL {ap:66662}

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 17:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

There are several albums I'd like to check out on your list, but first things first

2. [Non-PA] Lingua Ignota - THE END : LIVE AT ISLINGTON ASSEMBLY HALL {ap:66662}

It's just Kristin Hayter singing and on piano; simple and transcendent. It's supposed to be The End of her Lingua Ignota persona.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 14:23
^ Ok, I take it you just copied your previous post and moved things around? That works, and all these releases will be counted, but none of the new (non-pa) ones you added "manually". In order for them to be counted, you need to go to https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023 again and select them properly. 

BTW: Of course I do not need to fill the list until you reach 20 ...  even if you only submit one release it will still receive 20 points. So by all means limit the list to the releases you find awesome!

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 26 2023 at 15:10
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 15:02
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Ok, I take it you just copied your previous post and moved things around? That works, and all these releases will be counted, but none of the new (non-pa) ones you added "manually". In order for them to be counted, you need to go to https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/aoty-2023 again and select them properly.   

Ah, so I can add the non-pa artists (they aren't in there to be selected)?  Some are not necessary prog adjacent (although they've been played on a prog radio station on my show).  Prog audiences seem open to them, however, even if they are not prog, and there are some that are prog, not yet in PA.  And I added yet another to that non-PA list in my post 

BTW: Of course I do not need to fill the list until you reach 20 ...  even if you only submit one release it will still receive 20 points. So by all means limit the list to the releases you find awesome!
And thank you for that!  

Edited by Snicolette - December 26 2023 at 15:09
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 15:14
I added your non-pa choices to the AP database, so they are available to select now. Smile

Regarding your question: You can add any non-pa release you like, they will be listed separately and won't interfere with the pa chart. If you like you can create an account at AP and tag them, if you want to influence the prog status (e.g. non-prog, prog-adjacent or prog). In any case, they will end up in one of the ap charts, which are currently shown as separate tabs.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 15:17

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

It's just Kristin Hayter singing and on piano; simple and transcendent. It's supposed to be The End of her Lingua Ignota persona.
I know. Sounds perfect to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 15:21

I added your non-pa choices to the AP database, so they are available to select now. Smile

Regarding your question: You can add any non-pa release you like, they will be listed separately and won't interfere with the pa chart. If you like you can create an account at AP and tag them, if you want to influence the prog status (e.g. non-prog, prog-adjacent or prog). In any case, they will end up in one of the ap charts, which are currently shown as separate tabs.

Thank you again!  Smile  And I notice I can integrate them into list of PA acts, so will mix it all in, after some thought.  Thanks for your patience, not used to how the site works yet.

Edited by Snicolette - December 26 2023 at 15:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 15:50
^ You're welcome! Allowing to select non-pa releases makes this more complex and exposes you (the PA forum members) to more AP concepts, which is why I made the PA-only list the default again - to stress that you do not need to bother if you only care about the PA chart.

So consider it an optional bonus thing to include non-pa releases, but I'll gladly look through all submissions. I find it really interesting to see which releases everyone enjoyed most this year, regardless of whether they're prog or not. Smile

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - December 26 2023 at 16:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 16:01

^ You're welcome! Allowing non-pa releases makes this more complex and exposes you (the pa forum members) to more concepts that have more to do with the AP website than with PA, which is why I made the PA-only list the default again. So consider it optional bonus work to include non-pa releases, but I'll gladly look through all of them. I find it really interesting to see which releases everyone enjoyed most this year, regardless of whether they're prog or not. 
  Yeah, me too.  Being a completist, I'm now going to post how my list looks, integrated and with yet another addition Evil Smile  

Edited by Snicolette - December 26 2023 at 16:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 16:13
You're still not using the tool. Have you selected and sorted all the releases on the AP page? Then below the list you will find a textbox with the code you'll need to copy and paste into a post in this thread.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 16:17

You're still not using the tool. Have you selected and sorted all the releases on the AP page? Then below the list you will find a textbox with the code you'll need to copy and paste into a post in this thread.
  Aha!  Will give that all a go next.  I have to feed my dog or he'll never let me concentrate enough to figure that all out. I'm assuming I use the Add Artist dropdown?  Sorry.  We can move this to a message here at PA if you like.  There's no destructions (pun!) on the site on how to use the database, that I've located, anyway. 

Edited by Snicolette - December 26 2023 at 16:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 16:41
Thank you, I will attempt to do this with the more detailed instructions.  Many, if not all, of mine are not in PA, even some that are decidedly Prog artists, my focus is mostly on underserved artists.  I like to get them to more ears.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 16:46
^ Absolutely. The genre teams are doing a great job, but there simply are a LOT of artists out there. That's mostly because it is much easier to produce and publish music than it was twenty years ago. Unfortunately the sheer volume of releases makes it also hard to keep track of the really exceptional releases, which is why I am so interested in these user picks Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 17:04

^ nice! Registered and counted
  It was ALL the dog's fault, lol.  Actually, it was all MY fault for delaying feeding him.  I'm going to take my earlier ones out, so it's less cumbersome in here.  Thank you again for all of your help.  

And, I just realized I can't delete posts in here, if someone has posted after me.  So if any Moderator wants to take out my earlier posts to clean up the thread, please feel free to do so.

Edited by Snicolette - December 26 2023 at 17:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2023 at 17:07
Thank you for not giving up! I think I should make the code-copying part easier and clearer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 12>