Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock World - Top Twenty Concept Albumd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock World - Top Twenty Concept Albumd
    Posted: January 22 2024 at 11:14
Continuing my trawl of old mags, I was just flicking through "Rock World" No.7 from December 1992, £1.75.
And I found their "Top Twenty Concept Albums"
1. Sgt. Pepper's ...
2. Village Green Preservation Society
3. SF Sorrow
4. Tommy
5. Journey to the centre....
6. DSotM
7. The Wall
8. Tubular Bells
9. Jesus Christ Superstar
10. Captain Fantastic
11. Tales of Mystery & Imagination
12. Thick as a Brick
13. War of the Worlds
14. Quadrophenia
15. The Knights of King Arthur
16. The Snow Goose
17. Tales of Top. Oceans
18. The Pentateuch of the Cosmogony
19. Crimson Idol
20. Operation: Mindcrime

The only problem I have with this list is the inclusion of the musicals and films, especially JCS, if we allow that to be called a rock concept album written by composers not rockers, then we can include Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera etc as well. Tommy and Quad get a begrudging pass from me because at least they were created by a rock band. And my last observation, was Tubular Bells really a concept album?

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 22 2024 at 11:55
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 15:37
Where is the Lamb?
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 22:14
It always fascinates me how music magazines over the years have felt compelled to make the All Time Best this or that-lists - outside of their comfort zone. I mean this appears to be a list made by journalist who didn't actually know "as many" as 20 concept albums. 

Of course 1992 was a different reality, and it's understandable that the guys at Rock World didn't have the resources any amateur music listener has had in the last couple of decades. But I've seen a few Top 40 Ultimate prog rock, kraut or jazz or whatever-lists of albums where you just can just tell from the selection it's compiled by someone who had to google-search at least half of the entries to complete the list.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2024 at 22:25
Still somewhat ironic that they managed to forget about Lamb, probably the greatest prog concept album (IMO) yet included Tales From Topographic Oceans and Journey To The Centre Of The Earth. I suppose the internet was not widely used or available in 1992 so lists had to be compiled from someone's memory. Clearly they were not a Genesis fan although it was around the time that they released We Can't Dance so could it have been a deliberate ommission?! 
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2024 at 11:54
Not a fan of Lamb at all but its omission in place of an Elton John album is a crime. Also agree with Saper, that it is clear that some young staffer with no musical history was asked to throw together a list.
As for the Internet that didn't really kick in until about 96-97.

Edited by LAM-SGC - January 25 2024 at 07:42
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
 Post Reply Post Reply