Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is Rush's worst album?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is Rush's worst album?
    Posted: April 21 2024 at 16:27
I'll stick with my crack pipe then because I probably prefer RTB over T4E. T4E has grown on me a bit over time though which is something I can't really say about VT which I still struggle with. My vote for worst Rush album probably goes to VT.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:33
Test For Echo is very uneven but lower rated than Roll The Bones?? I think some people need to step away from the crack pipe.

Oh, and Driven live rocks! Normally I prefer studio versions of songs but this is a clear exception.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^I don't have any problem with Rush being the lowest rated. I never listen to it. (For that matter, I never listen to FbN, either.)

However, T4E is better than Roll the Bones. Here's why. (I'm going to cheat and post a live performance. )

I dont listen  to either early lp either and Echo might be better than Bones to some.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 15:00
^I don't have any problem with Rush being the lowest rated. I never listen to it. (For that matter, I never listen to FbN, either.)

However, T4E is better than Roll the Bones. Here's why. (I'm going to cheat and post a live performance. )

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 14:56
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Since the thread is still ongoing I'll toss this out.....the lowest rating on PA is Test For Echo at 2.89 with Rush-ST at 2.95.
The people have spoken. Wink

what's "ST"?! Confused
is it "self titled"? Ok... Big smile

Edited by Cristi - April 21 2024 at 15:40
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 14:53
Since the thread is still ongoing I'll toss this out.....the lowest rating on PA is Test For Echo at 2.89 with Rush-ST at 2.95.
The people have spoken. Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 12:46
Originally posted by Ziggy C Ziggy C wrote:

I remember when HYF first came out, not too long after I saw Powerwindows in Costa Mesa. I remember thinking, "A new album? Already??" I was excited about it. My friend bought the CD and we had a listen. Force Ten rocked! Cool!! This is gonna be awesome! Time Stand Still was great, too. But then,....the album took a nosedive. I remember we were sitting there laughing at it after a few more songs. The lyrics were so hokey and cliche. Mission was the song. We turned it off. I still can't get through that album. Hands down the worst Rush album.

I hope you eventually finished the album, as the song that follows "Mission" is "Turn the Page," which quite a few Rush fans rate as the album's best. The live versions are usually better since the bassline is more audible (HYF's production wasn't as kind to Geddy's bass as the albums immediately before it).

Up to that point, pretty much every album had my attention. Only COS seemed weak. But I regained faith in the band with Presto, an album that many here seem down on.

Presto (which I played a lot when it was new) is a bit uneven, but has some killer songs, like "Show Don't Tell" (an honest-to-goodness rock song with a bass solo got FM airtime), "Chain Lightning," "Scars," "Available Light." But overall a solid Rush album.

Roll the Bones is a big step down and hasn't aged as well, at least not for me. But they recovered brilliantly with Counterparts. And that was a great concert, too.

That's OK. The thing about Rush is that they were certainly not "one-note." Their heavy reliance on synths was a bit challenging. But their guitar-heavy albums really pump.

Signals remains my favorite Rush album of all time.

Their heavy reliance on synths was challenging but your favorite album is Signals?

(Mine was Signals, too, for many years. It's now Grace Under Pressure.)

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Lots to discuss here.
Ziggy C View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggy C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 22:50
I remember when HYF first came out, not too long after I saw Powerwindows in Costa Mesa. I remember thinking, "A new album? Already??" I was excited about it. My friend bought the CD and we had a listen. Force Ten rocked! Cool!! This is gonna be awesome! Time Stand Still was great, too. But then,....the album took a nosedive. I remember we were sitting there laughing at it after a few more songs. The lyrics were so hokey and cliche. Mission was the song. We turned it off. I still can't get through that album. Hands down the worst Rush album. 

Up to that point, pretty much every album had my attention. Only COS seemed weak. But I regained faith in the band with Presto, an album that many here seem down on. That's OK. The thing about Rush is that they were certainly not "one-note." Their heavy reliance on synths was a bit challenging. But their guitar-heavy albums really pump.

Signals remains my favorite Rush album of all time. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 15:01
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

It was a lot more than that (they were getting that bogus 'synth-band' critique back for Signals and even Pictures)--- It was clear something severe and quite disruptive had happened. And of course much had indeed occurred with Terry Brown, the commercial expectations of the time, even the image the band had of itself.   Just look at the band photo for that record and it's like "Yeesh-- what the hell happened, boys?!"
Around the time of Grace Under Pressure, there were continuous rumors about the band taking a "solo album sabbatical" due to all of the "record biz" frustrations they were dealing with at that time. No, they didn't hate each other, nor were they considering breaking up, but all three members also had growing kids and were concerned that the "album - tour - album - tour" cycle was becoming too hard on their families. So with all the "nuclear war" headlines, the record biz issues, and the personal issues, it's no wonder the resulting album is really kind of a downer and more difficult to listen to than the other albums from that same decade.

Good insights.   It was a difficult time.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 12:14
The ideas were flowing again on Counterparts.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 10:51
On Presto 'the Heavy Prog Midi Orchestra' Rush had run out of ideas, the chemistry was gone, Rush started to sound boring, who had expected that with albums like A Farewell To Kings, Moving Pictures and Power Windows ...?!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 10:30
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

It was a lot more than that (they were getting that bogus 'synth-band' critique back for Signals and even Pictures)--- It was clear something severe and quite disruptive had happened. And of course much had indeed occurred with Terry Brown, the commercial expectations of the time, even the image the band had of itself.   Just look at the band photo for that record and it's like "Yeesh-- what the hell happened, boys?!"

Around the time of Grace Under Pressure, there were continuous rumors about the band taking a "solo album sabbatical" due to all of the "record biz" frustrations they were dealing with at that time. No, they didn't hate each other, nor were they considering breaking up, but all three members also had growing kids and were concerned that the "album - tour - album - tour" cycle was becoming too hard on their families. So with all the "nuclear war" headlines, the record biz issues, and the personal issues, it's no wonder the resulting album is really kind of a downer and more difficult to listen to than the other albums from that same decade.

They came up with some of their best melodies & lyrics. Alex's solo on "Between the Wheels" is one of my favorites. I love the album. It's perfect as is.
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 09:47

ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProcolWho? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 20:28
There is no such thing as a good Rush album.  We almost agree  Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 00:29
(Yes, I know Neil had been clean-shaven since PeW.)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 23:31

Just look at the band photo for that record and it's like "Yeesh-- what the hell happened, boys?!"

What, the absence of Neil's handlebar moustache? You could still look to Triumph's Mike Levine for a satisfactory helping of facial fur.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 18:28

The only negative sentiment surrounding Grace that I recall back then came from much older fans who didn't like the band using synths.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Disconnect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:35

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Possibly the band started to run low on inspiration around the time of Grace Under Pressure (although personally I rate that album very highly). Power Windows is the album that maybe divides opinion most and could be rated anything from 2 stars to 5 stars legitamately. Just depends on taste. HYF is where most agree the band truly dipped and I think generally it was a time where pop and rock music was in the gutter.

HYF isn't as strong as GUP or PoW but those two proved to be hard acts to follow, for any rock band.

The only negative sentiment surrounding Grace that I recall back then came from much older fans who didn't like the band using synths.

Then, when HYF arrived, the next set of fans were going "Well, it's good, but it's not Signals nor GUP..."

I generally agree....I personally love both GuP and PW and enjoyed that era of the band where they were moving forward with synths to accompany Lifeson's guitar.  Regarding HYF, for many years I couldn't stand to hear any tracks from it.  In the past few years it has grown on me so I no longer throw shade on it.  
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 15:57
I've been listening to the band discography and yeah, the dip is evident with HYF. The mix is considerable worse than Power Windows and surprisingly already reminds me a bit of Presto, with less synths than the predecessor, but a lot of the tracks are lighter and I would even say more "romantic". IMO the album is closer to Presto/Roll the bones instead of PoW or GUP.

Saying that, there are still too many great songs in late 80's/90's Ruah. Removing 2 songs from HYF/Presto/RTB/TFC already make these albums a lot better, especially because they usually have 50 minutes or more of music anyway
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Possibly the band started to run low on inspiration around the time of Grace Under Pressure (although personally I rate that album very highly). Power Windows is the album that maybe divides opinion most and could be rated anything from 2 stars to 5 stars legitamately. Just depends on taste. HYF is where most agree the band truly dipped and I think generally it was a time where pop and rock music was in the gutter.

HYF isn't as strong as GUP or PoW but those two proved to be hard acts to follow, for any rock band.

Then, when HYF arrived, the next set of fans were going "Well, it's good, but it's not Signals nor GUP..."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>