Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Blog!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Blog!
    Posted: February 23 2024 at 12:47
Hey Guys,

In my daily foray into the discography of Frank Zappa, I have just reviewed the record Waka Jawaka today!
Please check it out - the link will be attached.

https://open.substack.com/pub/alexsprogjourney/p/waka-jawaka-by-frank-zappa?r=2yyeb6&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&showWelcomeOnShare=true

The more notable releases by more notable artists will be featured on this page (PA Blogs)

A
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 12:52
Bearing in mind Frank Zappa is your first featured artist, are you starting from "Z" and working your way backwards through the alphabet? Tongue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 13:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Bearing in mind Frank Zappa is your first featured artist, are you starting from "Z" and working your way backwards through the alphabet? Tongue

Hi,

If he does that he will get stuck when he gets to 200 MOTELS!!! Wink

I would get stuck on the Groupies album (I have it!!!) ... it has some cool stuff on it, though I would like it better if it were rated with all the _______ stuff! It would be more fun to play it then, to offend many of the folks that like something that is defined by geeks, not musicians. And geeks that can't play!LOL

Edited by moshkito - February 23 2024 at 13:02
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 13:05
^^
No, it was actually Chicago, and I went CTA through VIII until I realized the group just wasn't doing it for me (sorry Chicago fans)

Zappa is my fav artist of all time so he was the logical next step. I want to gain some exposure to my blog so I will post updates here for the so called 'bigger' releases of 'better known' artists fwiw (its all subjective ))

I have yet A LOT of prog to explore so I am taking requests to review (in written or podcast format, for becoming a paid subscriber) , or I will just go down the rabbit hole of an artist's discography for whom I am currently listening to. The releases are in chronological order, not the artists. 

Hope that clarifies things :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 13:18
If you like Frank Zappa, then you could start with Dr. Dopo Jam from my Danish prog blog as your Entree artist. Smile

DR. DOPO JAM      Hot Rats and Holy Mothers of Invention! Only Fat Dogs & Danishmen make funky Jazz-Rock sound as good as this. Dr. Dopo Jam are to Denmark what Frank Zappa is to the rest of the western world, only this band's output sounds far better than anything Zappa has ever done, sounding more like a Jazzy jam band from Heaven, instead of Jazz from Hell - although I already know every Frank Zappa fan out there is going to disagree with me, again. Tongue

4 stars 1974: Dr. Dopo Jam - Fat Dogs & Danishmen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrewDHr1Xe0
 3 stars 1981: Dr. Dopo Jam - Cruisin' at Midnite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGZNgvJPRc

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - February 23 2024 at 13:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 13:28
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

If he does that he will get stuck when he gets to 200 MOTELS!!! Wink

I would get stuck on the Groupies album (I have it!!!) ... it has some cool stuff on it, though I would like it better if it were rated with all the _______ stuff! It would be more fun to play it then, to offend many of the folks that like something that is defined by geeks, not musicians. And geeks that can't play!LOL

"funny u should mention it ... our new single made the charts last week with a bullet" wait no... that is something else Confused

I actually skipped 200 Motels bc it plays like a soundtrack - a boorish filthy one at that (and I like the Flo & Eddie period) 

you have interesting wordplay Mosh... remember, in Frank's words: ratings are created to stigmatize and exploit the artist by a record executive (or a PMRC member Dead)

how would you offend the folks that want something defined by geeks that can't play, if 200 motels is a record consisting of "geeks who can't play" ?? Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 13:41

If you like Frank Zappa, then you could start with Dr. Dopo Jam from my Danish prog blog as your Entree artist. Smile

DR. DOPO JAM      Hot Rats and Holy Mothers of Invention! Only Fat Dogs & Danishmen make funky Jazz-Rock sound as good as this. Dr. Dopo Jam are to Denmark what Frank Zappa is to the rest of the western world, only this band's output sounds far better than anything Zappa has ever done, sounding more like a Jazzy jam band from Heaven, instead of Jazz from Hell - although I already know every Frank Zappa fan out there is going to disagree with me, again. Tongue

4 stars 1974: Dr. Dopo Jam - Fat Dogs & Danishmen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrewDHr1Xe0
 3 stars 1981: Dr. Dopo Jam - Cruisin' at Midnite - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbGZNgvJPRc

I'm afraid I will, Paul LOL

I love your descriptions, and they may overstep the jam band circuit, but will certainly not overstep into Frank's universe, no no no

^^ and that brand of Jazz is delicious - WAYTA!!

Dr Dopo Jam? Sure! Throw a donation or become a subscriber, and pick which of their albums you would like me to review... and I will fulfill 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:00
^ I have to be honest and say that Jazz from Hell is the worst Frank Zappa album I've ever heard, although I'm sure you'll disagree. Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:08
Yes I will, Paul, but your argument has some merit bc it certainly is not an album for everyone - mostly synclavier composition interlaced with 1 guitar solo. For me, it is the album where Frank recognized the possibilities of the instrument and used it as such to diversify the record, that I think does it justice.

Some outstanding pieces interspersed with mediocrity for sure.

The synclavier haters will more probably point to albums like Francesco, Prevention, and even Civilization phaze 3
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:17

^ I have to be honest and say that Jazz from Hell is the worst Frank Zappa album I've ever heard, although I'm sure you'll disagree. Tongue
Have you heard Thing Fish? That is the worst Zappa release for me. Zappa was one of the most creative musicians ever. He wrote, classical, jazz, rock, psychedelic, etc. I can't think of any other artist that diverse.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:25
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

I have yet A LOT of prog to explore so I am taking requests to review (in written or podcast format, for becoming a paid subscriber)
So any review request requires payment to you?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:25
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have you heard Thing Fish? That is the worst Zappa release for me. Zappa was one of the most creative musicians ever. He wrote, classical, jazz, rock, psychedelic, etc. I can't think of any other artist that diverse.

Me too, quite FRANKLY (pun intended) 

As for Thing Fish, it's pretty bad... and I'm kinda sad it never materialized into a full on Broadway stage play (I would of paid to see that for however limited of a time it would play LOL)

It's one of those records I would put on for a sensitive individual to either tick them off or have them laughing hysterically
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2024 at 14:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

I have yet A LOT of prog to explore so I am taking requests to review (in written or podcast format, for becoming a paid subscriber)
So any review request requires payment to you?

Here's how it will work, as I just realized I may need to change some things around: because I am not yet busy with requests, I will be doing 'podcast' reviews for free unless there is a queue and you would like your review done first or by a certain time, then YES you will need to pay me. Written reviews done by request are only by payment because they are time consuming, and may not pose a convenient time or place for me to write a review at the time of request of the sender. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2024 at 15:50
The review for The Grand Wazoo is now up!

Check the OP

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 15:43
Review for Overnite Sensation is now up!

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 15:58
Review for Apostrophe is now up!

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 14:43
Review for One Size Fits All is now up!

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2024 at 17:39
Review for Sleep Dirt is now up!

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2024 at 15:21
Review for Sheik Yerbouti is now up! 

A
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 17:05
Review for Joe's Garage is now up!

A
 Post Reply Post Reply