Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EBB for heavy prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatOldSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EBB for heavy prog
    Posted: February 29 2024 at 16:22
EBB (as in ebb and flow) are a 6-piece band based in Scotland. They stormed onto the prog scene in the UK in 2022/23 and have continued their upward trajectory since, becoming a firm favourite at the UK's biggest prog festivals.

Their music can vary so much as to be dramatic, eclectic, moody, quite heavy (but not metal), and tuneful. It's often filled out by the classic Hammond organ sound provided by Nikki Francis, who also plays wind instruments. However, despite this nod to the 1970s, their music is fresh, inventive and arty, with poetry and stories occasionally recited by Kitty Biscuits, who also provides backing vocals, and when on stage, glides around in slow motion, dancing with various props, playing percussion, and even blowing bubbles. The lead singer and lead guitarist is the charismatic Erin Bennett, whose voice can range from gentle to powerful but always in tune. The band's sound is completed by the drums of Anna Fraser, the synths of Suna Dasi and the sole guy, Bad Dog on bass.

After releasing their first EP in 2019, their debut album "Mad and Killing Time" was released in late 2022, with an accompanying EP to follow at the beginning of 2024.

More information about EBB can be found at their website Official Website of Art/Prog/Rockers, EBB (ebbband.com), and their music can be heard at Music | Ebb (bandcamp.com). It is hard to categorise them but I'd say heavy prog would fit the majority of their musical style.

Edited by FatOldSun - February 29 2024 at 17:14
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 17:38
Hi,

Just listening to "Management of Consequences" ... and this is good stuff. Very enjoyable. Nice to not see something that is conventional and formatted like everything else ... this is neat stuff!

This is, BY VERY FAR, my most exciting listen for the year 2024. I felt hard pressed to even think of anyone that this band sounded like, and I could not do so ... it is bold, it is strong, and it tells a story or two, and let's it all hand out ... this is far out stuff, that belongs ... in our ears.

The two other albums, are (it appears) a sort of concept pieces and they flow unbelievably well, even though I happen to like longer stuff myself, so I can trip along and fly! The emotional design of the pieces in both of those albums are really good, and deserving more listens, although I imagine that some folks might not like a singer that means it and lets it fly ... and you can tell that she means it ... and it is not about the notes ... it's about the material, and it is strong.

NOTE: FUN EDITORIAL!!!!! Smile  More folks should listen to this, as it is musically driven by women ... and it is good! Women in prog? That's a minority isn't it?Confused

Edited by moshkito - March 01 2024 at 10:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatOldSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2024 at 12:18
I take it you quite liked them then . I'm lucky enough to be at the Fusion prog festival in Stourport-on-Severn, where I first saw them last year and will see them again tomorrow. I've also seen them at Nene Valley Rock Festival and Summer's End in the past year.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 02:32
Originally posted by FatOldSun FatOldSun wrote:

I take it you quite liked them then . I'm lucky enough to be at the Fusion prog festival in Stourport-on-Severn, where I first saw them last year and will see them again tomorrow. I've also seen them at Nene Valley Rock Festival and Summer's End in the past year.

HI,

One of my biggest digs in a lot of the lists around the bands, and their music, is how they are always numbered, and when one looks at the material, so much of it is DERIVATIVE from other bands, and their sound ... and (for me!!!) it is all about something that sounds NEW, and FRESH ... and not anointed with old spice!

For me, this is the "life" of "progressive" ... and not being a copy, even though it is hard to not sound like someone else, since all the instruments are the same, and folks have this funny idea that a different note on the guitar makes a difference. It's not the note ... it's the work and the person behind it.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 13:18
Originally posted by FatOldSun FatOldSun wrote:

EBB (as in ebb and flow) are a 6-piece band based in Scotland. They stormed onto the prog scene in the UK in 2022/23 and have continued their upward trajectory since, becoming a firm favourite at the UK's biggest prog festivals.

Their music can vary so much as to be dramatic, eclectic, moody, quite heavy (but not metal), and tuneful. It's often filled out by the classic Hammond organ sound provided by Nikki Francis, who also plays wind instruments. However, despite this nod to the 1970s, their music is fresh, inventive and arty, with poetry and stories occasionally recited by Kitty Biscuits, who also provides backing vocals, and when on stage, glides around in slow motion, dancing with various props, playing percussion, and even blowing bubbles. The lead singer and lead guitarist is the charismatic Erin Bennett, whose voice can range from gentle to powerful but always in tune. The band's sound is completed by the drums of Anna Fraser, the synths of Suna Dasi and the sole guy, Bad Dog on bass.

After releasing their first EP in 2019, their debut album "Mad and Killing Time" was released in late 2022, with an accompanying EP to follow at the beginning of 2024.

More information about EBB can be found at their website Official Website of Art/Prog/Rockers, EBB (ebbband.com), and their music can be heard at Music | Ebb (bandcamp.com). It is hard to categorise them but I'd say heavy prog would fit the majority of their musical style.

Saw them supporting Emerald Dawn in Exeter; was very impressed at how tight they were and a really nice mix of energy, melody and very good harmonies. Wrote up a short review of the gig. Wish them all the very bestThumbs Up
Topic: EBB and Emerald Dawn Phoenix, Exeter, 7th Aug 23,

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - March 02 2024 at 13:21

rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2024 at 13:56
i will check this one later... sound good!
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatOldSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 14:19
Any updates?
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 06:06
The heavy team voted move to eclectic where they are currently under consideration.
FatOldSun View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatOldSun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 16:12
Ah thanks. I originally set them as eclectic and then changed them to heavy. They're heavy eclectic...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 17:06
Ebb cleared by Eclectic
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 18:54
Ebb have been added
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply