Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [40.38%]
28 [53.85%]
3 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 17:41
^ I just recently went through my VDGG cds for the first time in years and was surprised that I liked Godbluff the most. H To He... and Pawn Hearts are right there too.
I've told this before but what a moment it was coming back from the store to get ice and getting out of my car and hearing Pawn Hearts blasting from my backyard. My Krautrock(Can especially) loving brother in law took the liberty of choosing that cd out of the many I had on the shelf to play while I was gone.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 18:12
Pawn Hearts predictably would be my choice, if someone or anyone wants to claim that is the best prog album ever made then I'm not arguing.Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 19:48
^ Nor would I.

Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

^ I just recently went through my VDGG cds for the first time in years and was surprised that I liked Godbluff the most. H To He... and Pawn Hearts are right there too.
I've told this before but what a moment it was coming back from the store to get ice and getting out of my car and hearing Pawn Hearts blasting from my backyard. My Krautrock(Can especially) loving brother in law took the liberty of choosing that cd out of the many I had on the shelf to play while I was gone.

There have been a couple of times when I enjoyed Godbluff the most and a couple times when it did not appeal on the whole. A kind of beauty of VdGG is that I react as differently as I do to their different albums at different times. I compare that to Gentle Giant where I almost immediate got and really liked all of the albums up to and including Interview, but it lacked the holding power on me on the whole that VdGG and Soft Machine have. I have felt like I have more to experience and experience with VdGG and Soft Machine than GG despite still liking those early GG albums very much. GG can seem more superficial to me I guess, a bit busy, a bit too show-offy, and a bit too precious at times. I stopped listening to GG altogether for some years. Still, Three Friends and Acquiring the Taste I will always want in my collection.

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 02:10
I really find it impossible to choose between Soft Machine and VdGG. Take their 1971 releases Fourth and (the latter bands fourth album) Pawn Hearts. Both are perfect to my ears. But the musical content on these don't share enough common ground for me to feel that I can make any kind of meaningful comparizon. 

Because I consider them to belong in a similar universe of music, I can easily state that I choose Pawn Hearts over (GG's fourth album) Octopus. Without hesitating. Although the latter album is excellent too, that's a no-brainer.

Anyway, love all three bands. Gentle Giant a little bit less than the other two. In the end I voted for Soft Machine. But that was mainly because seeing that they only had two votes made me feel kind of sad.
Dark Ness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark Ness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 04:49
To my ears & brain Godbluff is surely a masterpiece and closely followed by Still Life, so the vote was for VDGG (btw I also love the other 2 bands, maybe more SM)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 15:31
Not an easy listening, but probably Gentle Giant are easier to get into respect to the free jazz form of Soft Machine. 
I quite like the few VDGG I have listened to, but honestly I'm not much into them too. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 08:20
VDGG of course
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 09:16
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Pawn Hearts predictably would be my choice, if someone or anyone wants to claim that is the best prog album ever made then I'm not arguing.Smile

I was listening to Pawn Hearts the other night. While I do think it's great APOLK has yet to really grow on me. I like the first two tracks a lot though. I think as it stands I probably prefer Godbluff and Still Life to Pawn Hearts though.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 13:06
To me thats an odd grouping of 3 bands.....VDGG and GG are certainly quirky and eclectic but well liked bands while SM are in a different  style completely imho and an easier listen. I might have put KC in there since they are eclectic and can certainly be challenging.
I choose GG since for me they are more listenable than VDGG....while the music can be very interesting , I'm one of those who dont really care for Hammill's singing style.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 17:07
Gentle Giant
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 18:02
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'll put my hand up for that.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 19:42
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Three bands that have been absolute favourites of mine.

I have always liked quirky music and music that seems different, and bands that offer contrasts, and these three qualify. Often those with more "conventional" melodic Prog tastes have had problems with all three of these. I might posit that for many who totally dislike all three bands, they have not spent enough time getting to know and acclimate to the discographies. Bu then I could say that of a huge amount more. These are all tastes I'm glad that I acquired.

When I joined here, I was especially into Gentle Giant, but over the years it is Van der Graaf Generator that I have returned to the most. I understand that Hammill's vocals -- "hammy" as one might uncharitably put it" -- might be off-putting to many. The albums I have returned to the most over the years are Pawn Hearts and The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each to Each Other. "House With No Door" off He to He.. and Man-Erg off pawn Hearts were the first tracks I heard by VdGG and it was love at first listen. To me A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is a true masterpiece. An album like Godbluff has been harder for me, but I really like albums that follow Pawn hearts as well as the Least We Can Do to pawn hearts run of albums. This is one of my VdGG faves:

With Soft Machine, I like music off the first few albums a lot. Third and the second are the two that I have returned to the most. I was obsessed with "Moon in June".

With Gentle Giant, I especially like the early albums. Were I to choose just two, I would keep Acquiring the taste and Three Friends. The music can be a by fussy and precious I think and I rarely listen to the band now but still love the early albums. Go me there is real beauty playfulness that comes through on those albums and the music is warmer on the earlier albums and feel less like an exercise in trying to impress to me on the whole (sorry, I could phrase that much better).

This is the core of the issue with these three bands for me, and why I chose this particular grouping. I too appreciate a little quirkiness in the music I listen to (I would have left it all behind if this wasn't the case), however these three groups seem to revel in their quirkiness and push the boat out a little too far for me.

These three bands have always received their fair share of recognition by aficionados of the genre, so I very much tried to understand the attraction.

It's a question of accessibility and how much time I am willing to spend acquiring the taste. So far I just haven't reached that sweet spot, although I do find it interesting hearing from those who have.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 23:15
VdGG
Gentle Giant

Soft Machine (I must try harder)
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 11:17
Though I enjoy Soft Machine, most of their albums are more in the jazz-fusion territory rather than the prog one. Therefore I think the choice has to be VdGG or Gentle Giant.

Though Pawn Hearts is one of my all time favorite, Gentle Giant is so underrated that it must be my choice.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 11:19
VDGG out of these.
TenYearsAfter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TenYearsAfter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 11:25
I don't like Hamill his voice, I am not into the Canterbury scene but I like Gentle Giant, especially the live albums so a pretty simple choice for me.
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 05:21
1. VDGG
2.GG
3. Soft Machine
Héctor Enrique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12