Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longest jam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Onslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest jam
    Posted: March 20 2024 at 16:48
Can you beat TRUTH & JANEY (guitar,fuzzbass,drums trio) "Midnight Horseman" (Topeka , '74)

So heavy your ass will fall off.

22 minutes
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 17:25
Phish has very long and much longer improv's ... lot of.
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 17:48
Most Grateful Dead songs, live.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 18:07
Hi,

Djam Karet
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2024 at 18:24
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Phish has very long and much longer improv's ... lot of.

Came here to comment this, according to Google, their longest jam is 'Runaway Jim' which clocks in at just under an hour
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 02:07
Suzanne Ciani - Buchla Concerts 1975. The entire album is a solo keyboard jam.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 03:28
 Hot sh*t Tuna used to jam for three hours after they opened for Jefferson Airplane (on which Casady, Kaukonen & Covington played)

It wasn't rare that music resonated for 6 hours when the Airplane crew held an evening.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 05:16
I'm suprised no one has mentioned the Allman Brothers' "mountain jam" yet (33 minutes).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 21 2024 at 05:19
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 06:30
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

'Dark Star' 'the other one' and 'Playing in the band' were often stretched to ridiculous lengths!Wink

In the UK, probably Man were the main purveyors of lengthy jams in the 70's often built around riffs from 'Spunk rock', 'C'mon, 'Jam up Jelly tight' and 'Many are called but few get up'.

The Ozric Tentacles (particularly in the early days) used to improv and jam for f***in' hours (man)

Mountain Jam by the Allmans.. good callClap 

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 07:32
I remember hearing a jam by The Flowers King (under the moniquer of "Carpe Diem"), which lasted almost 1 hour (a littler over 58 min.). Great piece of music, with lots of long instrumental sections.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 08:13
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

'Dark Star' 'the other one' and 'Playing in the band' were often stretched to ridiculous lengths!Wink

In the UK, probably Man were the main purveyors of lengthy jams in the 70's often built around riffs from 'Spunk rock', 'C'mon, 'Jam up Jelly tight' and 'Many are called but few get up'.

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Hot sh*t Tuna used to jam for three hours after they opened for Jefferson Airplane (on which Casady, Kaukonen & Covington played)

Hi,

Even better than we can imagine, to give some progrock folks a lesson, on the many bootlegs at the time, you would find that the solo part on many pieces was different. It helped collect stuff even more, because it was far out! Same song, different solo ... see if there is a prog band that can do that and numerosos won't like it!

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

The jams were what made the bootlegs so important and far out ... and the prog/rock folks here, I am not sure they have any idea, and if you see a couple of specials about the GD, Bob Weir kind states that it is never the same and is not just the same chord. That's likely too musical for the top ten copycat stuff at the monthly/yearly rankings!

I love the stuff that MAN did, and one great example is the live version of C'MON with the Male Choir, and Mickey yodeling right over it ... just fantastic. When we saw them in LA, I can not say there was a lot of jamming, as their set was limited to an hour, but I believe it was Whaley's first set of shows with the band, and I can not tell you if it was that good, or not. Seemed cool, but not as time tested and crazy as the stuff on the LP's.

The Allmans were also huge on bootlegs because of their jams. 

Sadly, PA does not exactly like "jams" and think they are all just a waste ot music space and all that ... too much meandering about nothing, and kinda breaking apart the meaning of the song ... because there ain't no lyrics during that! To me, it was sad that the Allmans ended up in really bad, personnel stuff ... it broke apart a really far out band!

The other one I mentioned earlier is DJAM KARET which even has some albums released with right on titles (No Commercial Potential), which tells you it's all over. And, of course,  THE TRIP was 47 minutes long and really fine, though I heard someone complaint because there was no drummer for the first 12 or 13 minutes or so ... that ought to tell you how much/well heard the piece of music was!

The Ozric's might have had some good jams, but they all died down after John left ... and all of a sudden you had a bass player not as good, a keyboard player having issues with the electronics, and a bit later another new bass player, and another keyboard player, seemingly only playing the saved pieces until another year or two and the kid could do things on his own ... though I still think he is too manipulated and not quite allowed to define his own moments, as it might throw dad off! (Different generation!!!) ... but at least mom is back in ... though I still think that Ed needs to loosen up and let everyone else play a little to help develop better/different stuff. The latest album is good, but not great compared to the stuff of before way back when we got into it! I have not, exactly heard any "jams" by the Ozric's and with the family line up I am not sure we will hear any, though Brandi is playing better, but still too set on what pappa does, and not challenging him. She has the music training, but somehow, I am not sure it translated well to rock music, and jams, and improvisations are not a Berkley graduate forte at all ... 

Edited by moshkito - March 21 2024 at 08:18
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 08:36
The whole concert by Vangelis in Rome in the 80s (I don't remember the exact year) was a single jam touching themes from his actually most famous works. Then he did a bis with Hymne.

The first album of Amon Duul is nothing else than a jam

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 09:13
The list of improvised electronic music especially by a single artist could go on a bit. Beauborg and Invisible Connections are both entirely improvised albums by Vangelis that I know of.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 14:23
CAN's You Doo Right is 20:14 long...and that was trimmed down from a 6-hour improvisation jam.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 15:36
Cinema by Yes was originally 20 minutes long (if not longer).
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 15:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Cinema by Yes was originally 20 minutes long (if not longer).

Is this for real?! (what's your source of information?) Or just a rumor?! 
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 17:24
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_(Yes_song)

Quote "Cinema" developed from a twenty-minute-long track with the working title "Time".[3]
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 02:10
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_(Yes_song)

Quote "Cinema" developed from a twenty-minute-long track with the working title "Time".[3]

Ok, thanks. Interesting. A shame we'll never hear what that sounded like. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 02:21
I have a Focus: Eruption jam which is 46 minutes long...

Cheating slightly, but Nektar 'Sounds Like This' Disk 2 of the Esoteric Reissue is nigh on 75 mins of Jamming!
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Onslow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 06:11
Wow! Good ones, Jared.
Where did you find that "Eruption" jam?

If I may, I would now like to zoom-in and get more precise with the subject at hand. Howsabout:

Longest VINYL PROG piece. (I have a fair idea as to what this will be.)

Note I did not stipulate single track as the longest is likely going to be a SIDE-LONG multi-track (like,say "Supper's Ready") where the tracks RUN UNINTERRUPTED into each other.

Also ,I repeat: VINYL.
Which, is to say, that something like the CD Echolyn "Mei" won't do.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>