Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Longest jam

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 05:29
Porcupine Tree moonloop improvisation that last 40 minutes, although there's probably some post-editing work there? No idea how everything was brought together. Their Metanoia album is also composed mostly of jams and it's sublime to me. I wish they did more of these.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 07:26
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Most Grateful Dead songs, live.
This "Dark Star" version from the Europe '72 tour clocks in at 48 minutes. Recorded at their concert in Rotterdam Civic Hall, Netherlands, on 5/11/72, this is arguably the longest "Dark Star" the Grateful Dead ever played. It is a beautiful dreamy rendition, and I adore everything about it!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 23:20
Originally posted by Onslow Onslow wrote:

Wow! Good ones, Jared.
Where did you find that "Eruption" jam?

If I may, I would now like to zoom-in and get more precise with the subject at hand. Howsabout:

Longest VINYL PROG piece. (I have a fair idea as to what this will be.)

Note I did not stipulate single track as the longest is likely going to be a SIDE-LONG multi-track (like,say "Supper's Ready") where the tracks RUN UNINTERRUPTED into each other.

Also ,I repeat: VINYL.
Which, is to say, that something like the CD Echolyn "Mei" won't do.

The Flower Kings~Garden Of Dreams from Flower Power on LP is 2-1/2 sides at about 60min long.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 00:11
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Wow! Good ones, Jared.

If I may, I would now like to zoom-in and get more precise with the subject at hand. Howsabout:

Note I did not stipulate single track as the longest is likely going to be a SIDE-LONG multi-track (like,say "Supper's Ready") where the tracks RUN UNINTERRUPTED into each other.

The Flower Kings~Garden Of Dreams from Flower Power on LP is 2-1/2 sides at about 60min long.

By no means is "Garden of Dreams" by The Flower Kings a jam. It is an 18-part composition that is organised well.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 00:32
Thus, in 1975, two magicians entered a studio: Berlin school master Klaus Schulze, who played various keyboards, and guitarist Günter Schickert, who played acoustic and electric guitars. This 45-minute amazing space jam clocks in at 45 minutes.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 01:28

Longest VINYL PROG piece.
Even though a track with a duration of 17:42 minutes might not seem like much, something like Le Stelle di Mario Schifano's 1967 originally pink-coloured vinyl LP "Dedicato a..." deserves honourable mention because it was the first band in Continental Europe to record a side-long jam track in a studio and thus predicted the careers of many other acts to come. Can you imagine the reaction back then to this 1967 experimental psychedelic jam, crazy entitled "Le Ultime Parole di Brandimante, dall'Orlando Furioso, Ospite Peter Hatman e Fine (da Ascoltarsi con TV accesa, Senza Volume)," that lasted almost eighteen minutes?

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 06:45
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Wow! Good ones, Jared.

By no means is "Garden of Dreams" by The Flower Kings a jam. It is an 18-part composition that is organised well.

I never said it was a jam.......You asked for "Longest VINYL PROG piece." and also "Also ,I repeat: VINYL."
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 06:49
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Phish has very long and much longer improv's ... lot of.

Came here to comment this, according to Google, their longest jam is 'Runaway Jim' which clocks in at just under an hour

Here you are
https://forum.phish.net/forum/show/1379688278

"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 07:01
Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

Porcupine Tree moonloop improvisation that last 40 minutes, although there's probably some post-editing work there? No idea how everything was brought together. Their Metanoia album is also composed mostly of jams and it's sublime to me. I wish they did more of these.

Metanoia is probably one of my favourite PT lps for that reason and doubtless they could have tapped that vein for much more creative juices to flow.. but, alas, they didnt. There were, no doubt, lots of versions and variations of their 'Moonloop' jam (PT's 'Dark Star' if you will Wink) and maybe some different lengths and forms will surface. SW's always had too itchy feet to settle on anything for long.. guess he had just been listening to 'Can' and wanted to tap into their telepathic way of improvising..

wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 07:25
Before the OP restricted the discussion to vinyl, which limits any jam to 45 minutes or so, I would nominate Oresund Space Collective. Here are just a few of their lengthy, live improvisations:

Live at Little Devil, 2018-05-27, Zebra Horse Head (50:35)
Live at Hausbar, 2016-05-23, Multi-Moog Super Apple (58:55)
Live at Indra, 2013-05-25, Long Slow Space In (51:48)
Live at Indra, 2013-03-25, Space Confusion-Space Conclusion (56:31)
Live at Fontaine Palace, 2019-05-31, Entering Storkland (59:48)

See the Internet Archives for more examples.
https://archive.org/search?query=oresund+space+collective&page=2
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 10:46
Originally posted by wiz_d_kidd wiz_d_kidd wrote:

Before the OP restricted the discussion to vinyl, which limits any jam to 45 minutes or so, I would nominate Oresund Space Collective. Here are just a few of their lengthy, live improvisations:

Live at Little Devil, 2018-05-27, Zebra Horse Head (50:35)
Live at Hausbar, 2016-05-23, Multi-Moog Super Apple (58:55)
Live at Indra, 2013-05-25, Long Slow Space In (51:48)
Live at Indra, 2013-03-25, Space Confusion-Space Conclusion (56:31)
Live at Fontaine Palace, 2019-05-31, Entering Storkland (59:48)

See the Internet Archives for more examples.
https://archive.org/search?query=oresund+space+collective&page=2

In a similar vein, Acid Mothers Temple just pretty much all their recorded and live output is just long, improvised jams..

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 00:03
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Metanoia is probably one of my favourite PT lps for that reason and doubtless they could have tapped that vein for much more creative juices to flow.. but, alas, they didnt. There were, no doubt, lots of versions and variations of their 'Moonloop' jam (PT's 'Dark Star' if you will Wink) and maybe some different lengths and forms will surface. SW's always had too itchy feet to settle on anything for long.. guess he had just been listening to 'Can' and wanted to tap into their telepathic way of improvising..
Itchy feet, eh? Maybe that's why he always performs barefoot.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 02:25
The album version of "Echoes" has a duration of twenty-three minutes. The "Meddle" sessions began with an experiment that resulted in an opening clang. After a few plinks, David Gilmour's slide guitar gradually enters the mix. Gilmour and Roger Waters harmonise while playing a riff. Subsequently, David Gilmour plays a guitar solo before reprising the same riff for the following ingenious funk-tinged psychedelic rock jam. 

The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 09:40
The obvious answer is Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick at 43:49, with no elongated solo padding. Some extended concert perfomances clocked in at over an hour. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 09:48
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Itchy feet, eh? Maybe that's why he always performs barefoot.
My thoughts exactlyLOL 

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 12:45
Gotta start listening to "Can" if it was the base inspiration for jams like moonloop(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'86c2033e7d8e3ca1',t:'MTcxMTczNzg4MS41NTAwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: none; visibility: ;">
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 16:54
Julian Priester's "Love Love" LP consists of two side-long progressive fusion tracks. The overall feel of side one, "Love, Love/Prologue" (19:30), does have a krautrock feel. This is due to the extremely engaging groove and some spacey keyboards and bass play that form the spine of the entire track. The bass, percussion, and drums are all quite firm and stable throughout, giving the soloists—among others, the track even features guitarist Bill Connors—a really fertile platform for their hallucinogenic stunts. Even an ARP string synthesiser is present. This makes for a fantastic cosmic jam. Not quite the longest, but surely one of the best ever recorded. 

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 21:26

Julian Priester's "Love Love" LP consists of two side-long progressive fusion tracks. The overall feel of side one, "Love, Love/Prologue" (19:30), does have a krautrock feel. This is due to the extremely engaging groove and some spacey keyboards and bass play that form the spine of the entire track. The bass, percussion, and drums are all quite firm and stable throughout, giving the soloists—among others, the track even features guitarist Bill Connors—a really fertile platform for their hallucinogenic stunts. Even an ARP string synthesiser is present. This makes for a fantastic cosmic jam. Not quite the longest, but surely one of the best ever recorded. 

Thank you for this contribution, I'd never heard of it!  I'm going to use this as a track to jam over (electric guitar).  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 21:41
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

If a jam drags for too long without any interesting solos then it feels redundant. You don't want to have someone soloing in your face for 10 minutes either...that can be annoying. You have to arrive at an "in between "...a mixture...sharing solos or coloring the music with atmospheric sections which creates an interesting vibe. Like Miles Davis did on Jack Johnson, Bitches Brew, and Big Fun.

Hi,

Too long, is a bit scary in the way you describe it, because if the supporting band/musicians are capable of carrying it, instead of dropping the soloist off the cliff, then it is fine.

I think that we are considering these "solos" because we do not have the underlying material under it to define it better. I would almost say, for example, that calling a lot of Jon McGlothlin ... just "solo" pretty much suggests the rest of the band is worthless, and this is not the case. Same for Miles, although Miles is much tougher because no one, including his musicians, would know where he is going, and you have to stay with him in one way or another. And telling Miles he can not do this for ten minutes, he would probably kick your buckets and throw you out of the concert hall! And he would promptly do a 20 minute solo.

The problem with "solo" is that the rest of the band is being ignored, and that's not fair. A "jam" is not about a solo, it's about a band getting it on ... and us degenerating this thread to "solo" are hurting the subject. A lot of the psychedelic stuff out of SF (for example) was not designed, or defined as a solo at all ... it was all a part of the whole "trip" and seeing the members of JA saying that he went left, she went right, he went up and he went in another direction ... and it sounded far out ... that you can call a "jam", but defining a jam by the solo ... that's going in the wrong direction. 

BTW, it also show a lack of appreciation for a lot of European guitarists that did long things that can not exactly be considered a "solo" ... these would include Michael Karoli (Can) and John Weinzierl (AD2) and Manuel Gottsching (Ash Ra Tempel/Ashra) and Ax Gernrich (Guru Guru) in the early days, and they were not exactly the only ones. And they were not set to simplistic rock music at all ... although we might think of Manuel as a bit more "mechanical" which started with Ash Ra Tempel 6 (guitar on guitar on guitar and there was no solo since one of them could easily be the support for the other) and he went on his own since then. Even then, by this time RF was doing stuff that ended up thought of as ambient, starting with his first Eno work, while Richard Pinhas was doing the same ... it was about the music and its strength and totality, not about the solo, and I am not sure that RF would consider a lot of things he does a "solo" since they are another element within the piece of music, as if it was a symphony! 

We just don't seem to handle well anything that does not sound like rock'n'roll, and in Europe a lot of the early stuff from the 70's was not exactly rock'n'roll ... go listen to Mother Sky ... that is not a solo! I might even think that Damo's part is a solo, but that really destroys the totality of the piece!

Manuel Gottsching sounded more like he was coloring the music than outright taking solos. Technically he is improvising..which is the source for soloing...however he captures a style that creates a visual . It's more atmospheric. It's not a macho approach in the sense that it's purpose is to help you stay in touch with your dreams or your daydreaming. It's not about gymnastic showboating or as some people say...noodling. Manuel Gottsching creates layers and its very much like painting.

Something about Popol Vuh reminded me of that too. For example the guitar playing felt oddly associated with what Florian Fricke played on the piano. It was difficult to describe it. Their music was spiritual...but also like painting.

Many Krautrock bands possessed that quality. It was almost as if they latched on to something...or were into something...that other bands in Europe were unaware of or discovered it through Berlin.

Even though "Interstellar Overdrive" and "Astromony Domine" revealed a style that resurfaced in Krautrock...Krautrock still had a separate approach or concept musically different from everyone else.

A lot of the music could have been emotionally inspired by the dislike they had for their parents being Nazis or that their parents hid the truth from them. As groups of German youths tried to destroy buildings in the streets of Berlin and they were literally put down by fire hoses and locked up for vandalism.

Some of the soundscapes of Can and Tangerine Dream reminded me of the Holocaust regarding the imagery it created in my head. Rubycon, Zeit,by TD ...Future Days and Soon Over Babaluma seemed to project a place where bad and disturbing things happened...not unlike a calling of the notes or choice of atmospheric chord voice.

Several members of Krautrock bands were rebelled against the old Germany and the idea was to create a new Germany. A place where you could be free . Their music was not confined. It had a certain character that didn't belong to anyone else in Europe.

Many Krautrock musicians invented styles that definitely belonged to them. Florian Fricke used that machine on Aguirre which produced voices. I can't recall where they found it. The voices are beautiful. It's an incredible piece. Krautrock felt like a rebellious movement to me...although the term Krautrock was to a degree a tag for mere categorization and that the German youth were actually creating original music based on their inner beliefs ..and morality.

PrograhamLincoln View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote PrograhamLincoln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 23:08

The album version of "Echoes" has a duration of twenty-three minutes. The "Meddle" sessions began with an experiment that resulted in an opening clang. After a few plinks, David Gilmour's slide guitar gradually enters the mix. Gilmour and Roger Waters harmonise while playing a riff. Subsequently, David Gilmour plays a guitar solo before reprising the same riff for the following ingenious funk-tinged psychedelic rock jam. 

One of the Floyd boots I have has a version of "Embryo" that's close to 25 minutes long. They must not have stretched it out that long very often or maybe it was only on one tour, because it's the only boot with a version so long. It's good! Although its length relies less on jamming than on extensive chorus-repetition. But there's jamming too.

Edited by PrograhamLincoln - March 29 2024 at 23:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>