Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Antti Louhivaara (fi) to JR/F, RIO,...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antti Louhivaara (fi) to JR/F, RIO,...?
    Posted: March 21 2024 at 06:41
Finnish multi-instrumentalist (playing guitars, keyboards, bass, drums) Antti Louhivaara is a succesful designer of hi-fi speakers (see aurelia.fi). At the same time he's been doing instrumental music for decades, mostly all by himself for the desk drawer.

He's compiled his compositions into digital albums Sinputus (2003) and Karmiekonytisti (2023). 
Of the chosen material of those albums he has recently released a proper CD titled My First 44 Years (2024).

All is available on Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, etc.

The music is lively and rhythmically complex, occasionally reminding me of artists such as Frank Zappa, Roz Vitalis and Pekka Pohjola. The pieces are generally around five minutes and not very melodic in an accessible way. I guess it would be either Jazz Rock / Fusion or Avant Prog / RIO

Having a direct contact to the artist himself, I'll write a bio if he gets added.

Edited by Matti - March 26 2024 at 00:33
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 13:24
Between these two subgenres, which do you think describes this artist best?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2024 at 14:50
^ Its not avant-garde, more like instrumental prog rock with some fusion solos. Sort of in between Focus and Camel.

Edited by Easy Money - March 21 2024 at 16:59
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 01:46
I agree it's not avant, but I hear no Focus or Camel. There's textural/rhythmical compexity in place of the melodicity of those bands.
    Eclectic Prog could do also, maybe even better than JR/F since there isn't so much of jazz.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 08:43
Alright, I've added him to the Eclectic chart!
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 13:47
Whatever genre is, I like it
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Antti Louhivaara View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antti Louhivaara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 04:49
Hi,
Thanks for accepting me as a member of Prog Archives.
Do I have to do something myself to be accepted as an official artist as well?
-Antti Louhivaara-
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 03:44
Originally posted by Antti Louhivaara Antti Louhivaara wrote:

Hi,
Thanks for accepting me as a member of Prog Archives.
Do I have to do something myself to be accepted as an official artist as well?
-Antti Louhivaara-

Hi, Antti! Sad to notice your question is not answered here.
    I suppose/hope the evaluation process of your adding into the database is under work.  Basically it's up to the music itself. 
   I'm not among the subgenre team members who make the decisions by voting 'yes', 'no' or 'move to other team', but from my long PA experience I know the process unfortunately takes long sometimes -- for whatever human reasons. One just has to be patient.

Very likely you'll be added! Looking forward to that, there is one thing you could do: write your artist biography (in English, naturally). You can post it right here, as well as a photo for the artist page.
   It doesn't have to be long, but it would be great if you'd for example name some influences and otherwise help readers to form an idea of what your music sounds like. Thanks! Smile
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Antti Louhivaara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 02:55
Ok, here we go. My artist biography:

Antti Louhivaara is a Finnish multi-instrumentalist, originally from Hamina, located in eastern Finland. He comes from a musical family where, especially on his father's side, there are numerous musicians, music teachers, etc. Louhivaara himself started violin studies at a music college at the age of 8. He started playing the guitar at the age of 14 and other instruments little by little along with band activities. After the first rock and heavy ensembles, things started to go in a more prog direction, and he started composing his own songs in the late 70s.

At the beginning of the 80s, Louhivaara went to study computer technology and founded a prog band with his fellow students there, which played e.g. in the Finnish Jazz Championship final in 1985. In -88, Louhivaara founded the music store Midiland with his band and student friend, which, as the name suggests, sold everything related to MIDI. During this time, he composed a lot of material that was later released on all three albums released so far.

After the deep recession in Finland in the early 90s, Louhivaara started designing hi-fi speakers. The loudspeakers he designed were thoroughly successful both in Finland and abroad and are today very well known and appreciated among both enthusiasts and professionals worldwide (Amphion, Aurelia).

Louhivaara's most important musical influences have been Gentle Giant, Pekka Pohjola and Dixie Dregs, but also Kansas, Happy the Man and Zappa have significantly influenced his musical expression. And we should not forget Louhivaara's classical background, where Sibelius, Shostakovich and Stravinsky have had a significant influence on his musical development.

Edited by Antti Louhivaara - April 05 2024 at 03:26
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 03:41
^ Good, thanks!
(And, for others to know, the photo you sent me personally by e-mail.)
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 04:00
Antti Louhivaara pic:

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 12:04
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 12:38
Thanks! There's a typo in the artist name, though.
Louhivaara, not Louhivara.
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 12:58
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

Thanks! There's a typo in the artist name, though.
Louhivaara, not Louhivara.

Ok correction done
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antti Louhivaara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 15:52
Thanks for adding me to the Prog Archives!

My latest album "My First 44 Years" is available on CD in the online store:
https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/louhivaara_antti/

Could this be added also to here?
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 02:25
Originally posted by Antti Louhivaara Antti Louhivaara wrote:

Thanks for adding me to the Prog Archives!

My latest album "My First 44 Years" is available on CD in the online store:
https://www.recordshopx.com/artist/louhivaara_antti/

Could this be added also to here?

Done! And my apologies for misspelling your name initially Embarrassed
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Antti Louhivaara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 06:07
No problem! You are not the first one to misspelling my name..Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply