Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A rather abitrary list of 60s albums in PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Please vote for three if you can (or more or less)...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [1.91%]
2 [1.27%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [1.27%]
22 [14.01%]
5 [3.18%]
1 [0.64%]
6 [3.82%]
6 [3.82%]
7 [4.46%]
4 [2.55%]
4 [2.55%]
3 [1.91%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.64%]
1 [0.64%]
16 [10.19%]
30 [19.11%]
4 [2.55%]
13 [8.28%]
9 [5.73%]
2 [1.27%]
2 [1.27%]
3 [1.91%]
11 [7.01%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A rather abitrary list of 60s albums in PA
    Posted: March 27 2024 at 13:42
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

The usual suspects are ITCOTCK, Are you experienced, A Sacuceful of secrets, The Doors and Revolver.

I voted for three personal favorites: East of Eden, Family and The United States of America.

Interesting, I wrote before that I was going to vote for those same three, but then excised it from my vote as I felt I also wanted to vote for Pentangle's and Arzachel. Now I recall that I set it up so that I am permitted by the guidelines I wrote to vote for more than three options if I or anyone do so choose. EDIT: gave those a vote but would like to vote for most here (not surprising as these are all my choices even if rather arbitrarily chosen from albums I know and like).

While I included ItCotCK, actually it's not one of my favourite KC releases. I prefer the 1970 to 1974 period. And while In the Wake of Poseidon gets accused by some as being too much like In the Court, and I've heard it called a rip-off of the debut, I considerably prefer it to In the Court of the Crimson King. Lizard, Islands, Larks' Tongues in Aspic and Red are magnificent to me. Unlike many, I am not into Discipline.

Edited by Logan - March 27 2024 at 14:12
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 09:22
The usual suspects are ITCOTCK, Are you experienced, A Saucerful of secrets, The Doors and Revolver.

I voted for three personal favorites: East of Eden, Familiy and The United States of America.

Edited by Olape - March 27 2024 at 17:03
Big Sky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 12:36
1) King Crimson
2) Hendrix
3) Santana
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 09:31
Scott Walker, Pink Floyd, and Caravan. They will find soap inside a box of toilet water and then put a towel on the floor.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 13:15
KC, Jimi, Beatles, Santana, Zappa...
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 14:39
King Crimson, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Amon Dull II.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 11:25
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Santana fanboy (apart from the numerous songs with guest singers, I bypass all those like I avoid traffic jams). The 1969 self-titled album is the birth of the Latin rock subgenre and thus is exceedingly important.

Of course, I also love Crimson, Jimi and Miles!
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 05:29
If not going for the obvious ones (PF and other KCs), then I should go with the Germans... but Canterbury is a nice city and I see some without votes yet, so I'll give one to Kevin Ayers and another one to The Soft Machine. And then Frank Zappa, of course.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 03:23
King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King
The Beatles - Revolver
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful Of Secrets
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 03:21
Colosseum
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 02:37
^^ I like High Tide a lot, and I adore Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis. Ribeiro actually came to mind, I recall, and then somehow managed to slip out of it.   Moody Blues I should return to, not heard it in many years. Listening now to Music Emporium. As for David Axelrod, I considerably preferred Innocence to Experience. I have not listened to Experience for many years, but I found Innocence more elegant, interesting and beautiful in its way as I recall.

Edited by Logan - March 23 2024 at 02:38
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 02:34
Beatles, Pink Floyd, Pentangle
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 00:54
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I regretted not including Jethro Tull's Stand Up right after posting.
Yes, that and Benefit are my Tull-favorites. Wonderful from start to finish. Other than that I would probably have found a place for:

Catherine Ribeiro + 2 Bis (1969)
High Tide - Sea Shanties (1969)
Music Emporium - Music Emporium (1969)
Moody Blues - In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

...but that's it, really.

+ I relistened to Song of Innocence this morning. Its clearly stronger than my slightly lukewarm 3.5 (but a seven out of then isn't a bad rating, really). I remembered it as "brassier" than it is. A potentionally abrasive sound of musical instruments that occationally snaps me out of my listening pleasure. But the brass here enters and leaves like gentle waves. Maybe I'm confusing it with Songs of Experience - or maybe I'm remembering it all wrong. 
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 22:40
Captain Beefheart
Doors
Pink Floyd

Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 22:35
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 19:44
Beatles, King Crimson and Colosseum.

Not the thread for this discussion admittedly but I still lament that Jimi died before he worked with progressive rock musicians (not necessarily ELP but any number of potential collaborations could have happened). For that reason I just don't have anything by him because it feels that those albums should have been the start of something not the be all and end all.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 17:22
Frank Zappa- Hot Rats
Miles Davis- In A Silent Way
Can- Monster Movie
Pink Floyd- A Saucerful Of Secrets
King Crimson- In The Court Of The Crimson King
Amon Duul II- Phallus Dei
Santana- s/t

Such a great list of not just amazing albums but some ground breaking stuff here too that makes this hard. Just went with some favourites. But these seven stand out from the crowd.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 17:21
Not far from how my own selection of 25 albums of relevant albums from this period would look like.

5 stars:
Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (1969)
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (1969)
Can - Monster Movie (1969)
The Incredible String Band - The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter (1968)
4.5 stars:
East of Eden - Mercator Projected (1969)
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Safe as Milk (1967)
Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets (1968)
The Pentangle - Basket of Light (1969)
The Soft Machine - Volume Two (1969)
Arzachel - Arzachel (1969)
Family - Music in a Doll's House (1968)
Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei (1969)
4 stars:
The Beatles - Revolver (1966) (Abbey Road would have been placed among the ones at the top though)
The United States of America - The United States of America (1968)
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats (1969)
The Doors - The Doors (1967) (Strange Days would be my Doors-choice)
Caravan - Caravan (1968)
Kevin Ayers - Joy of a Toy (1969)
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced (1967)
Scott Walker - Scott 4 (1969) (Scott 3 would have been among the five stars)
3.5 stars:
Santana - Santana (1969)
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite (1969)
Fifty Foot Hose - Cauldron (1967)
Gun - Gun (1969)
David Axelrod - Song of Innocence (1968)

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 17:03
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I regretted not including Jethro Tull's Stand Up right after posting.

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Giving all three votes to Jimi.

When I asked people to vote for three (or more, or less), I meant vote for three albums, not one album three times... As I expect people would infer.... Still, surprised not see Zappa get some recognition from you. Frequent posters at PA still manage to surprise me.

Surprise! Yeah I knew what you meant but Jimi deserved three.

Besides "Peaches," I'm not a fan of Hot Rats. The Grand Wazoo is much better.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2024 at 16:58
The four albums that are most special to me here are Phallus Dei, Monster Movie, Revolver, and Mercator Projected. As much as I like Hot Rats, Saucerful, US of A, Softs II, Court... I see Revolver already at 6 votes so will give mine to ADII, Can, East of Eden.  

Edited by Lewian - March 22 2024 at 16:59
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>