Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Poll: It's Experimental, Dear Watson
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Poll: It's Experimental, Dear Watson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Would you like to listen and vote for your three preferred tracks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll: It's Experimental, Dear Watson
    Posted: March 23 2024 at 06:10
Hi folks,

Welcome to this new Interactive Poll! As discussed in the previous one, let's see if there are participants who are willing to dive into and propose us some experimental music.

What should we think of when we talk about "experimental" music. Well, I'll leave that up to any one of us. If you think it is experimental, it must be experimental. Discussions can always follow later

To participate, follow the usual guidelines:
- Put up a maximum of three suggestions per post (preferably with youtube embeds) of tracks that you think are experimental and that you like and want to share with us;
- Don't forget to mention artist and title (sometimes the embeds do not work for everybody so this will help to find alternatives), and give some more information on your choices if you wish;
- If you can, listen to the suggestions put forward by others and feel free to comment on them;
- When we think there are no new participants to be expected (or when we think it's time), nominate one of your choices for the final poll (maybe more than one, depending on participation);
- In a week or two (things have slowed down lately, so let us not put the pressure on, especially now it's also time to hide those Easter eggs thoroughly): listen to all the nominated tracks and vote for your three favourites.
- Prog is allowed, but please limit it to the lesser known artists and pieces... The main objective remains to discover new music, not to mention music that everyone knows already.

And have fun!

Playlist for the nominated tracks appearing in the poll (except Earthena):

Playlist for Earthena - Symphony of the Crown:

Playlist for all suggestions before nomination:

Edited by suitkees - April 15 2024 at 01:57

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 06:30
The first two from me, come from one of those record labels that I follow a bit because they issue quite some music that I like: Miasmah recordings.

Simon Scott -  The Old Jug And Drum (from the album Navigare, 2009):

Gareth Davis & Frances-Marie Uitti - Felt (from the album Gramercy, 2012):

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2024 at 21:13

Cool stuff. I can't say I am very knowledgeable about experimental music, but I do like hearing various unconventional and adventerous soundscapes. I guess that would be how I define it. There are so.many different characteristics that could go into experimental music, but not one being defining, from using ambient sounds, distortions, non-standard instruments, electronics, found recordings, unusual structures, and so on.

One artist I thought of was Holly Herndon.she was part of radio piece I just happened to listen to several years ago about A.I. in music composition. She a composer with a PhD in composition from Stanford University. She uses vocal recordings and computer programming to create her pieces. This is from her 2019 album Proto.

Holly Herndon - Eternal

Second suggestion is Oren Ambarchi whose name I have seen around (he has worked with experimental metal band Sunn O)))) and he has a rather extensive discography, but had not listened to him until last couple of years when Amazon Music suggested some tracks. This is from the 2022 album Shebang. You may like or hate the video.

Oren Ambarchi - II

Edited by mathman0806 - March 23 2024 at 23:24
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 08:30
Great! I will of course contribute to this.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2024 at 23:33
Hi everybody! It was a bit late when I discovered the new poll yesterday. Let me see what I have for you. I'll be back soon.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 15:38
Here's my first entry:
Fossil Aerosol Mining Project - 1991 from 2015

Maybe a bit too typical Lewian I'm afraid. I love it of course, but maybe I can surprise more with another entry. Wink 
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 16:04
Let's see, (I just hyperlinked them, no embeds, sorry) 

Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 20:43
I remember first hearing of sound collage artists Negativland (named after the Neu! track) from the track Christianity Is Stupid off their 1987 album Escape the Noise and had various recordings through the early 90s. I had not listened to their releases in the 2000s until recently when I was revisiting Christianity Is Stupid and other tracks.

One album was their 2014 album It's All In Your Head, which looks at humanity and religion.

I choose this track from that album.

Negativland - The Way We Know Things

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 10:30
Nice, Keep them coming!

Another record label I follow is Sonic Pieces, who share a shop with the previous mentioned Miasmah label. Here a recent duo collaboration between a Belgium and an Iranian, who are both based in Berlin, with some clear Persian influences... (I hope the forum accepts the Persian characters of the titles...)

Oliver Doerell & Jawad Salkhordeh - صد اهای دور (Distant Noises) (from the album سایه [sāje], 2021):

And band that is on PA (you might recognise something...): Gastr del Sol. I discovered them more than 20 years ago thanks to an American friend who gave me their latest - and last - album. The track here is from the album that precedes that one.

Gastr del Sol - Hello Spiral (from the album Upgrade & Afterlife, 1996)

Edited by suitkees - March 26 2024 at 10:32

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 03:18
Sorry guys, it took me a while. Here is my first suggestion:

Lucrecia Dalt - Atemporal

Lucrecia Dalt is a Colombian experimental musician who currently lives in Berlin. While her earlier releases were rooted in electronic dance music, her work has evolved over time and is now obviously more abstract and experimental.- Here is a track off her latest album “¡Ay!” (2022).

I will post some more suggestions soon.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 08:10
Much of the experimental music I like is very long. I play something here that is 17:40 long and you may ignore or hate it, but Stockhausen really expanded what music is and can do, and as much as he probably was a jerk, he is a key figure to music how I like it (also of course as teacher to Holger Czukay and Irmin Schmidt).

Karl-Heinz Stockhausen - Telemusik

Here's one that is not so dominated by electronics, even though by a composer who is known for electronic music.

Alvin Curran - Music Is Not Music

Edited by Lewian - March 28 2024 at 08:12
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 10:19
My 2nd suggestion is going to be . .

The Brother Moves On - Umthandazo Wamagenge

'The Brother Moves On' is a South African performance art ensemble. 'Indaba Is' is a project, recorded close to Johannesburg over 5 days in the summer of 2020. The project resuscitates a collective of South African bands from a COVID-19-induced standstill; with newly composed improvised music created by the country's blooming new school jazz scene. Produced and managed by accomplished Creative Directors, award-winning pianist Thandy Ntuli and 'The Brother Moves On' bandleader Siyabonga Mthembu.

The individual tracks on the album were played by diverse groups of people and bear the signature of the respective main artists.

Edited by Mila-13 - March 28 2024 at 10:54
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 12:38
Always intrigued by your worldwide knowledge! Thumbs Up
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 05:04
For those who want, in a lazy way, inflict themselves an overdose of experimental music I created a playlist with almost all suggestions so far, in order of appearance - also added to the OP. (Sorry Frets, I didn't include the 48 hours and 39+ minutes of Earthena... Wink)

And since participation is overwhelming, I think we could decide to have two suggestions nominated for the final poll. No hurry though, let's see first if there is more coming up. And when there's no need to fill all poll options to the brim, it might be easier then to include some longer pieces (but shorter than 48 hours...).

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 06:26
^Fair enough, it's still plenty experimental though
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 07:02
Some personal impressions after a first listen to the music put up so far (in order of appearance):

George: Quite like both of your first two suggestions, although Holly Herndon's Eternal fascinates me a bit more: wonderful multiple voices multi-layered and with a busy rhythm section; great development of it all, subtle and complex at the same time. Oren Ambarchi's piece is more a slow burner - a kind of David Lynch soundtrack that doesn't want to really take off - it's abruptly cut off, so it is maybe not the whole piece(?). The video fits it well, but is a bit simple, especially compared to the Herndon one that is a well crafted experimental video, perfect for the music.

Christian: "Fossil Aerosol Mining Project" - The name is already an indication of what we can expect: musique concrète/found sounds, heavily treated to create a wonderful atmospheric soundscape - earthy and gassy at the same time. Nice to discover here!

Tennyson: Love that Peter Hammill track (and the album it is from), it definitely has it's place here! Listened to a couple of snippets from Earthena, which seems more leaning to ambient music, which is not necessarily where my preferences go to. John Cage is a classic piece - it has been mentioned in a previous interactive poll - a bit out of every league, but an important reference.

George: Negativland with The Way We Know Things proposes -processed - voice recordings (of lectures?) with an electronic sequenced music backdrop, Well, not just backdrop: it somehow comments on the things said, with irony and critique. Needs some concentration, but it is a good listen, and funny!

Mila: A short piece by Lucrecia Dalt, with a very rich instrumentation. I like that very much. Though sung in Spanish and with the Latin influences, it has a very international feel. I'd like to hear more from her.

Christian: With Karlheinz Stockhausen we have a big name here, and a wonderful piece of electro-acoustic music. Not unknown to me, but you probably expected that. I'll reply with some Iannis Xenakis... I didn't know Alvin Curran. Love how this starts with the strings, then the choir arrives quite unexpectedly, but very fittingly, later joined by brass (horn? trombone?). Beautifully intriguing.

Mila: The Brother Moves On track starts off in a jazzy way before the talking voice sets in. A nice fusion between multiple (lamenting) voices, world and smooth jazz music creates a very beautiful atmosphere, going slowly crescendo. Very rich.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 04:08
With the bizarre people participating in these interactive polls since a long time (or since a shorter time), there has actually been quite some experimental (or electronic) music strewn in here and there. When starting this poll I was actually thinking of artists like Kreng or Kaboom Karavan, but I've put up more than one suggestion of them in the past. We Like We, who I proposed in the Fiddle d Diddle poll could also qualify here. 
We've had an IA-poll dedicated to electronic music where some pioneers were featured (or on other occasions), like Delia Derbyshire, Tom Dissevelt, Kid Baltan (Dick Raaijmakers), Eliane Radigue and others. Stockhausen has been mentioned before (with Kontakte). And when I think of "electronic music" I rather think of these than those acts featured here on PA. Another pioneer of electronic music was Iannis Xenakis. Everybody knows his name, I guess, but not everybody necessarily knows his music. His orchestral works and chamber music are also wonderful, but here a later electroacoustic piece, as a kind of echo to the Stockhausen piece above...

Iannis Xenakis - Tauriphanie (1987-88, from the box set Electroacoustic Works, 2022):

Edited by suitkees - March 30 2024 at 04:11

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 05:43
@suitkees, thanks for your ments and the playlist. I've listened to various tracks and am enjoying the variety in contributions.

On the Oren Ambarchi track, the entire Shebang album has four tracks (I. II. III. and IV) that run seamlessly together as one. Each track has its own feel. The first track is lighter guitar piece with no percussion and the third piece is driven by piano (Chris Abrahams of the Necks) with the same rhythm from the second track, and then built up in the fourth with the instruments coming together.

Album credits:

Oren Ambarchi - guitars & whatnot

with:

Chris Abrahams - piano on III & IV
Johan Berthling - acoustic bass on III
BJ Cole - pedal steel on II & IV
Sam Dunscombe - bass clarinet on I & II
Jim O'Rourke - synths on III & IV
Julia Reidy - 12-string guitar on III & IV
Joe Talia - drums on the whole Shebang

Edited by mathman0806 - March 30 2024 at 05:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 06:29
I am going to quote myself from the 2023 Interactive Poll since I posted this after I nominated my two tracks, so I don't think anyone listened.

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

One more from 2023. I picked this video to show the unique instrumentation. I haven't ranked it yet among my 2023. The band consists of two bassists, a drummer, and a musician playing one of his two handmade instruments.

Wananabani-en - Door Door

The homemade instrument used here is called the Ribbon Controller.

Here are descriptions copied from Bandcamp.

Kaisatsuko:
Electric two strings upright fiddle made in 2003. It is not performed with a bow. The rotating wheel (which is rotated by his handling) rubs strings and makes sound like Hurdy-Gurdy.

The translation of the word is as follows:
Kai = Rotation Satsu = Rub Ko = Oriental fiddle
-----
Ribbon Controller
Electric musical instrument which can change an oscillator pitch smoothly, depending on the place which you press down. Ribbon Controller was originally made as a kind of MOOG SYNTHESIZER's controller in late 60's. Yuichi made this following MOOG’s example and self learned to play it.

The above track featured the Ribbon Controller, so I will add second, older track with the Kaisatsuko.

Wananabani-en- Still Life

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 08:34
^ I listened to that ribbon controller piece in the other thread (but didn't comment on it). Will get back to it and to your new suggestion.

Thanks for the info on Oren Ambarch; I see that Jim O'Rourke is listed among the musicians, of Gastr del Sol fame! ...and Sonic Youth, a.o.. Before he joined Sonic Youth as a full member for a stint of five or six years they already had a first collaboration, part of the very interesting (but not always as good) SYR series: on SYR3, Invito al cielo (1998) - out of competition, because it's a bit long, but it might interest some of us:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>