Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Yes - Talk 30th Anniversary 4CD Expanded Edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yes - Talk 30th Anniversary 4CD Expanded Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote glassonyonpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes - Talk 30th Anniversary 4CD Expanded Edition
    Posted: March 25 2024 at 14:03

YES “TALK” 30th Anniversary Deluxe Box Set Edition Featuring 8 Bonus Studio Tracks & Previously Unreleased Live Concert

The Great ‘Lost’ YES Album Available As 2-LP Limited Edition White Vinyl/4-CD/1-CD Released May 24, 2024 on Spirit Of Unicorn Music

“GLORIOUS! IT WAS LIKE A RENAISSANCE OF YES TO ME” - Jon Anderson

“IT WAS MAYBE THE BEST I EVER PLAYED WITH YES’ - Trevor Rabin

“TALK”, the 14th studio album by Progressive Legends YES, was initially released on 21st March 1994 and is often referred to as the great ‘lost’ YES album. To celebrate its 30th anniversary, Spirit of Unicorn Music will reissue the album as a 4CD Deluxe Edition featuring bonus studio material and a previously unreleased live show from New York, new interview with the principal players by renowned writer Jerry Ewing, a 2-LP limited edition white vinyl set and a single CD. YES fans will welcome the album’s vinyl version as mint copies of the original, and even the reissue, change hands for hundreds of pounds.

After the stellar success of their album “90125” and the slightly troubled birth of its follow-up “Big Generator” in 1987, which reached the top 20 on both sides of the Atlantic, YES splintered once more. There was talk of getting a new singer, Supertramp’s Roger Hodgson was one name bandied around, as were Kansas singer Steve Walsh, Billy Sherwood of World Trade and even “C’est La Vie” singer Robbie Nevil.

YES eventually ‘reformed’ for 1991’s “Union” album and tour, which saw eight members reunite. From those eight, a new YES emerged: Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin, Chris Squire, Alan White & Rick Wakeman. Due to managerial reasons, Wakeman could not participate, so enter Tony Kaye on keyboards once more and the “90125” line up was back together. YES also had a new label, Victory Records, headed up by the former Atlantic Records executive Phil Carson, who had personally bankrolled the “Cinema/90125” sessions.

The music and lyrics for “Talk” were written mainly by Rabin and Jon Anderson, and Anderson is adamant that it is his favorite album from the Rabin era of YES, “It was just a beautiful time for me and Trev… it was a very harmonious experience for me.”

“Talk” was also one of the first albums to be recorded and edited entirely digitally, without using traditional audio tape. It was a groundbreaking move at the time, but the technology, as advanced as it was, was not without its problems. In January 1994, Northridge in the San Fernando Valley in California was hit by an earthquake measuring 6.7 on the Richter Scale, and production had to be halted as the early Apple Mac computers they were working on were being affected by the tremors. To put the technology into context now, in its unedited form, “Talk” took up 34GB of memory, which today could be transferred via a flash drive in seconds.

“Talk” was preceded by the release of the opening track, the uplifting “The Calling”, which started to make inroads on US Radio and was followed by “Walls”, which was co-written by Roger Hodgson, from his time working with Rabin in 1990. However, disaster loomed as Victory Music, the original label, went bankrupt shortly after the album’s release, and the album was left to wither and die.

Nevertheless, YES kicked off their US tour for “Talk” that June and played 77 shows in the US, Canada, South America and Japan. Sadly, the tour never got to Europe or the band’s homeland, which is a source of regret to both Rabin and Anderson. Footage of the show in Santiago, Chile, is available online and shows a band playing at their peak. “My regret is I wish there was a live album,” says Rabin. “I wish we recorded some shows properly, it’s just a board mix….but you can feel the energy from it.”

YES finished the “Talk” tour at Hiroshima’s Kousei Nenkin Kaikan on 11th October, 1994. It would be the last time Trevor Rabin would play with YES as a full-time member.

“Talk” could be described as the great ‘lost’ YES album and is probably the most cohesive of the Rabin-era YES albums in sound, and the one closest to the classic YES sound of the 70s, exemplified by the stunning fifteen-minute album closer “Endless Dream”. “When I listen to ‘Endless Dream’ it’s such a great piece of music,” Anderson enthuses today. “It’s one of the great YES pieces of music that not many people know. It’s beautiful. And ‘The Calling’. I love it.”

YES “TALK” 30th Anniversary Edition:

2-LP LIMITED EDITION WHITE VINYL
A1 The Calling
A2 I Am Waiting
B1 Real Love
B2 State Of Play
B3 Walls
C1 Where Will You Be
C2 Endless Dream
a) Silent Spring (Instrumental)
b) Talk
c) Endless Dream
Bonus Track
D1 The Calling (Special Version)

4CD DELUXE BOX SET EDITION
CD1
ORIGINAL ALBUM
The Calling
I Am Waiting
Real Love
State Of Play
Walls
Where Will You Be
Endless Dream
b) Talk
c) Endless Dream

CD2
TALK VERSIONS
The Calling (Special Version)
The Calling (Single Edit)
The Calling (Radio Edit)
Untitled – Trevor Rabin Instrumental
Endless Dream (Demo)
Where Will You Be (Instrumental)
Walls (Instrumental)
Endless Dream (Excerpt) (Instrumental)

CD3
LIVE CANANDAIGUA, NEW YORK 19/06/94
I Am Waiting*
The Calling*
Rhythm Of Love*
Hearts*
Real Love*
Changes*
Heart Of The Sunrise
Roundabout

CD4
LIVE CANANDAIGUA, NEW YORK 19/06/94
Cinema*
City Of Love*
Make It Easy*
Owner Of A Lonely Heart*
Trevor Rabin Piano Solo/And You And I*
I’ve Seen All Good People*
Walls*
Endless Dream*
*Previously unreleased

CD
ORIGINAL ALBUM
The Calling
I Am Waiting
Real Love
State Of Play
Walls
Where Will You Be
Endless Dream
b) Talk
c) Endless Dream

Pre-order:
Cherry Red:
4 CD: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/yes-talk-30th-anniversary-4cd-expanded-edition
CD: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/yes-talk-30th-anniversary-cd
Limited Edition White Vinyl: https://www.cherryred.co.uk/yes-talk-30th-anniversary-2lp-gatefold-white-vinyl-limited-edition

Burning Shed:
All SKUs: https://burningshed.com/store/yes

For more information:
https://www.yesworld.com
http://facebook.com/yestheband
http://instagram.com/yesofficial
http://twitter.com/yesofficial
https://spiritofunicorn.co.uk

Jon Anderson official website: www.jonanderson.com

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158 (USA), [email protected]

Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 14:16
YES! FINALLY! I'll be able to afford 'TALK' on vinyl! LOL

Not my favorite Yes album, and one I should return to more often than I do, but this is fantastic news!
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 23:16
Very interesting. I always liked this album and agree with some of the comments in the marketing blurb that it was then best of the Rabin era. This had a much better flow to it and doesn't feel 'edited' down like their 80's releases. There was a return to a happy unchained Yes that captured the true spirit of the band IMO.

I am puzzled by this comment though
However, disaster loomed as Victory Music, the original label, went bankrupt shortly after the album’s release, and the album was left to wither and die.

This is classic rewriting history to make it seem that events happened outside of their control. In fact the record label was still intact enough for ELP to release In the Hot Seat on the 27 September 1994. That's a whole 6 months later! ITHS is one of the worst releases of the decade by any prog band and certainly lead to the demise of Victory records. However the idea that Talk was 'left to wither and die' is simply not correct. The truth is that the record company didn't have the resources to promote the album and that it was left to the band to push it. If the album didn't do better it's more likely that the darker heavier Grunge scene was the leading fashionable music trend of the time and Yes were just out of touch. That is the beauty of the album though as it's so different. It will be nice for a new generation of fans to hopefully discover and enjoy it. 
I may get the vinyl edition, If I had more money I would get the deluxe box set of vinyl and CD's which is very nicely priced.

Edited by richardh - March 25 2024 at 23:21
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 23:22
Dreadful cover art work. 

(I do like the album though!). Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2024 at 23:24
Better than GFTO Wink
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 07:03
LOL. I think one album of Talk is more than enough. No thank you.

(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'86a755b28ba0ceb5',t:'MTcxMTQ1ODE0My4yMjgwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 07:57
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

LOL
4CD expansion is talking too much, isn't it?! Big smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 08:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL

LOL

Maybe the box set should be called "Too Loquacious For Our Own Good but hey gotta cash in somehow!"

(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'86a7c013d9d17e2a',t:'MTcxMTQ2MjUwMC41NDMwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 08:23

LOL

LOL

Maybe the box set should be called "Too Loquacious For Our Own Good but hey gotta cash in somehow!"

I bought a Talk CD at some point, I still have it, it's a pretty good album. Their best in the 90s at least. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 10:04

I bought a Talk CD at some point, I still have it, it's a pretty good album. Their best in the 90s at least. 

IMO, it's their best with Rabin and only behind the Keystudio material in terms of their best of the 90's, but I still wouldn't want 4 CDs worth of it...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 11:03
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

IMO, it's their best with Rabin and only behind the Keystudio material in terms of their best of the 90's, but I still wouldn't want 4 CDs worth of it...

I don't want the 4 CDs either, not what I meant, I got the original album already. 
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2024 at 13:03

I'll be getting the 4CD box, looks pretty nice!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 04:05
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Very interesting. I always liked this album and agree with some of the comments in the marketing blurb that it was then best of the Rabin era. This had a much better flow to it and doesn't feel 'edited' down like their 80's releases. There was a return to a happy unchained Yes that captured the true spirit of the band IMO.

However, disaster loomed as Victory Music, the original label, went bankrupt shortly after the album’s release, and the album was left to wither and die.

This is classic rewriting history to make it seem that events happened outside of their control. In fact the record label was still intact enough for ELP to release In the Hot Seat on the 27 September 1994. That's a whole 6 months later! ITHS is one of the worst releases of the decade by any prog band and certainly lead to the demise of Victory records. However the idea that Talk was 'left to wither and die' is simply not correct. The truth is that the record company didn't have the resources to promote the album and that it was left to the band to push it. If the album didn't do better it's more likely that the darker heavier Grunge scene was the leading fashionable music trend of the time and Yes were just out of touch. That is the beauty of the album though as it's so different. It will be nice for a new generation of fans to hopefully discover and enjoy it. 
I may get the vinyl edition, If I had more money I would get the deluxe box set of vinyl and CD's which is very nicely priced.

I do like the album but I remember buying it when I came across it in a record shop in London and I didn't even know it existed! As I was a big fan of Yes this was quite surprising and seemed to suggest a lack of advertising. This was before the big days of the Internet btw.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 06:48
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I do like the album but I remember buying it when I came across it in a record shop in London and I didn't even know it existed! As I was a big fan of Yes this was quite surprising and seemed to suggest a lack of advertising. This was before the big days of the Internet btw.

A very similar thing happened to me tbh; I came across it quite by chance in a 2nd hand record shop, perhaps 6 months after its release... I had had no knowledge of its existence at all (this was even before the days of Classic Rock Mag when utd info could play hard to get) and there was the CD sitting in the rack for a fiver... I can only presume that someone had bought it new and quickly got shot of it in disgust?

Edit: Interesting that it's being put out on Cherry Red and not Esoteric Recordings?

Edited by Jared - March 27 2024 at 06:51
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 11:41
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Edit: Interesting that it's being put out on Cherry Red and not Esoteric Recordings?

It's put out by Spirit of Unicorn, the same label that is putting out the expanded re-issue of the Emerson, Lake & Powell album.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 17:57
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Yes this is not a untypical story. I remember not knowing IQ had reformed until I noticed Subterranea in an HMV a good 5 years after the event. Joyously I then discovered they had an even better album out called Ever.
For a long time I was very reliant on Tommy Vance's show to point me in the right direction but after that I've no idea what sources of information I was using. ELP had a fanzine going for a while so that may have helped. Somehow I was aware of any news on ELP like for instance the 25th Anniversary event that took place in Birmingham in 1995. I must have been getting this from somewhere. As far as Talk goes I must have either heard something on the radio or just noticed the CD in a local HMV. I remember I bought Union before that and liked it so would have been primed for another release.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 03:48
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

Wait a moment! My usual dealers charge around 80 euros for this! Shocked

At that price I'm less interested, I'll probably wait.

The Emerson, Lake & Powell re-issue was already around 40 euros for a 3CD set, rather steep.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 21:56

Wait a moment! My usual dealers charge around 80 euros for this! Shocked

At that price I'm less interested, I'll probably wait.

The Emerson, Lake & Powell re-issue was already around 40 euros for a 3CD set, rather steep.

You need to sack your dealers then as the ELPowell set is nowhere near that on Amazon (about 27 Euros) while the Yes box set is currently about 62 Euros.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 05:23
I'll keep my money , the original Cd is enough for me.
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 07:26

Better than GFTO Wink

Or Tormato!!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>