Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s Dreamy/Meditative Prog-Jazz Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70s Dreamy/Meditative Prog-Jazz Songs
    Posted: March 27 2024 at 07:35
"Smooth Jazz" is usually funky, or a fit too fast for what I've been trying to find, and I can't think of a music search engine that has tempo as a filter.... I'm looking for jazz chords, slow tempo, don't even care if there's vocals and percussion.. Always love electric piano, but also acoustic piano.... flute.. acoustic guitar.. Sustained strings, deep echoes, pulsating... Relaxing. Meditative.

An example would be a song by Lonnie Liston Smith - Meditations ...  Maybe another word would be "ambient"?

I'll post the title and the song, just in case the video URL changes, etc... it's sad seeing old archived threads on here with a lot of songs with nothing but a video that is unavailable.

Lonnie Liston Smith - Meditations

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 27 2024 at 07:37
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 07:45
You can try some Charles Loyd's music, liek The water is Wide, or Mirror. You'll find a lot of meditative music there.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 08:05
Dreamily and proggy world-fusion music influences blend with a peaceful, acoustic, and introspective tone on Oregon's "Moon and Mind" album.

I'd like to recommend Chris Hinze Combination's "Mission Suite" album as well. Hinze created music spanning from jazz to nearly new-age music. Naturally, lead flautists using fusion as a vehicle was far less common, so this had a lot of tone colouring that you didn't see in other places.

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 08:09
A lot of Pat Metheny would fit your request, but it carries into the 80's.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 09:01
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

You can try some Charles Loyd's music, liek The water is Wide, or Mirror. You'll find a lot of meditative music there.

Thanks. I just noticed on a video that the guitarist is John Abercrombie, which reminds me of a great song that kinda fits in this thread

"Timeless"

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 09:31
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

A lot of Pat Metheny would fit your request, but it carries into the 80's.
His album "Watercolours" is from 1977 and probably fits the OP request at best regarding Pat Metheny's oeuvre.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 17:29
I don't listen to jazz but the Vangelis album Opera Sauvage could be worth checking out for this kind of vibe.

AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 19:46
Lot of great chill stuff on this record right here :

Super underrated Brazilian jazz trio "Azimuth" self titled LP from the mid seventies.  
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 21:08
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't listen to jazz but the Vangelis album Opera Sauvage could be worth checking out for this kind of vibe.

Hi,

Such beautiful stuff ... it's amazing how much music that man gave us to enjoy and live with ... irreplaceable!

(PS: To be honest, I never "classified" music per se, and always considered it nothing but a wonderful "vibe" and "touch" for our ears and heart, and there really aren't many that I do not listen to ... always to find some far out things in the middle of it. After so much music, finding something new that we heard before but did not acknowledge because it was not our preferences, I can tell you that 40 years later ... you will appreciate that beauty, jazz or not!)

Edited by moshkito - March 27 2024 at 21:19
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 21:43
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

Lot of great chill stuff on this record right here :

Super underrated Brazilian jazz trio "Azimuth" self titled LP from the mid seventies.  
Nice stuff. This "Azimuth" song is from the 1977 self-titled debut by the English jazz trio of the same name, whose sound should satisfy the OP's request.

In terms of Brazilian acts that may fit the thread, Egberto Gismonti comes to mind. "Café" is a song from his 1976 album "Corações Futuristas."

Edited by Moyan - March 27 2024 at 21:54
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 23:04
The wonderful "Rubisa Patrol" almost got forgotten in this thread. American jazz pianist Art Lande recorded "Rubisa Patrol" with bassist and fluteist Bill Douglass in May 1976 and released it on ECM a few months later. The other two members of the quartet are drummer Glenn Cronkhite and trumpet player Mark Isham. The Far East meditative bamboo-flute solo at the start is why I chose "Celestial Guests/Many Chinas," although the entire album is peerless dreamy jazz.

Edited by Moyan - March 28 2024 at 00:06
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2024 at 23:16
Check out Jaga Jazzists (if you're willing to move out of the 70s bubble). Some of their stuff is quite relaxing, while other tracks are a little more active. But they were trailblazers in nu-jazz/modern acid jazz, and have elements of post-rock in their sound.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 05:46
If you don't like the opening track, cut to 18:18, that is the best track.

Edited by Easy Money - March 28 2024 at 07:55
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 07:10
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

In terms of Brazilian acts that may fit the thread, Egberto Gismonti comes to mind. "Café" is a song from his 1976 album "Corações Futuristas."

Hi,

There are several of his albums that deserve mention. I think "MAGICO" is the special album that needs to be heard ... it was so good that they had to take it on the road! There are some video clips on the Internet from it. And they are wonderful as well.

I like the "trilogy" of DANCA DAS CABECAS, SOL DO MEIO DIA and SOLO as the special albums in his listing ... although the one album of his that stands up over all of them, does not exactly fit in this area but it has so much classical value in it as to be far out ... NO CAIPIRA ... is absolutely his best album.

Also special and not heard enough is his album with NANA VASCONCELLOS ... Duas Voces ... but almost all of this is taking what we call "jazz" out of its normal elements ... the stuff Egberto does in many ways, is too good to even be considered "jazz".
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 08:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Hi,

There are several of his albums that deserve mention. I think "MAGICO" is the special album that needs to be heard ... it was so good that they had to take it on the road! There are some video clips on the Internet from it. And they are wonderful as well.

I like the "trilogy" of DANCA DAS CABECAS, SOL DO MEIO DIA and SOLO as the special albums in his listing ... although the one album of his that stands up over all of them, does not exactly fit in this area but it has so much classical value in it as to be far out ... NO CAIPIRA ... is absolutely his best album.

Also special and not heard enough is his album with NANA VASCONCELLOS ... Duas Voces ... but almost all of this is taking what we call "jazz" out of its normal elements ... the stuff Egberto does in many ways, is too good to even be considered "jazz".
I would want to bring up Airto Moreira, a Brazilian jazz drummer and percussionist. The track "Flora's Song" by Airto, who is married to Brazilian singer Flora Purim, uses a dreamy, evocative melody to great effect as it develops speed. There's also a beautiful rendition of Chick Corea's "Return to Forever" on Airto's album "Free," featuring Chick Corea himself, but the album also features Joe Farrell, Keith Jarrett, Stanley Clarke, George Benson, and other such legends; aside from drums and percussions, Airto also plays a wood flute on this CTI release from 1972. 

Edited by Moyan - March 28 2024 at 08:34
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 09:08
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Hi,

Such beautiful stuff ... it's amazing how much music that man gave us to enjoy and live with ... irreplaceable!

(PS: To be honest, I never "classified" music per se, and always considered it nothing but a wonderful "vibe" and "touch" for our ears and heart, and there really aren't many that I do not listen to ... always to find some far out things in the middle of it. After so much music, finding something new that we heard before but did not acknowledge because it was not our preferences, I can tell you that 40 years later ... you will appreciate that beauty, jazz or not!)

Yes indeed and even 'left field' albums like Beauborg and Invisible Connections have that beauty somehow. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 09:10
It seems like many of the songs I look for have cymbal flourishes, tinkering to start and end the song, maybe some in the middle.. Some of it was too hectic or too quick tempo.

I especially liked the Pat Metheny album.. I've been a fan for a while, but with instrumentals (jazz, classical, etc), I can never remember the titles!

Laura Nyro would be an example of a non-instrumental idea...

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 28 2024 at 11:30

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 10:24
Very nice thread!  I'm glad our new member Moyan brought up Airto and Flora Purim, those were the first ones that came to my mind! 

I'm sure the members of Weather Report recorded some of this type of music, as solo members if not as a group, but I'm having a hard time thinking of examples.  Anyone?

Oregon was another excellent suggestion!  And, perhaps some of the artists from Windham Hill, like Shadowfax, would fit the bill!  Have fun, I'll watch this space!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 12:05
Forgot to mention this earlier, but Jean Luc-Ponty's stuff is obviously super fitting of this description. A lot of his work is like what you mentioned, but Cosmic messenger in particular is one of my favorites. 

There's a bit of high intensity stuff on here with the electric violin, but its mostly super ethereal. 

"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 12:33
"Aqua Marine" from the 1979 Santana album titled Marathon.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>