Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

70s Dreamy/Meditative Prog-Jazz Songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 12:54
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I'm sure the members of Weather Report recorded some of this type of music, as solo members if not as a group, but I'm having a hard time thinking of examples.  Anyone?

Here's a Zawinul piece from the final WR album, This is This. I think it fits the bill.

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

And, perhaps some of the artists from Windham Hill

IMHO, this is a particularly stunning piece of music created by the late Michael Hedges.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 14:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"Aqua Marine" from the 1979 Santana album titled Marathon.

About a year ago, I went through his entire discography and came across that... Some good stuff using the name Devadip Carlos Santana.

Speaking of fusion, "Timeless" is a good one. I especially like the version with John Abercrombie.

I never heard anything from the last Weather Report, but yeah, it's pretty good also considering how drums usually sounded in the mid-80s..  Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 15:10
Originally posted by MortSahlFan MortSahlFan wrote:

Speaking of fusion, "Timeless" is a good one. I especially like the version with John Abercrombie.

Yes, it's excellent. I have everything Jan Hammer played on in the '70s and that one's near the top, along with The First Seven Days and Like Children by Hammer/Goodman.

Another goody is Time is Free by David Earle Johnson & Jan Hammer.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 02:49
From Keith Jarrett's album "Arbour Zena," there's a beautiful passage called "Solara March," which is dedicated to Pablo Casals and the sun. The strings briefly lay out, giving Jarrett, Charlie Haden, and Jan Garbarek more room to move around while still staying within the boundaries of an underlying framework that the strings quickly re-engage, creating a pleasing finale that would have fit neatly in any of Jarrett's jazz quartets from that era. But what truly distinguishes it as a superb composition that suits the bill is the result's total coherence, which is enhanced by the strings.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 07:53
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

From Keith Jarrett's album "Arbour Zena," there's a beautiful passage called "Solara March," which is dedicated to Pablo Casals and the sun. The strings briefly lay out, giving Jarrett, Charlie Haden, and Jan Garbarek more room to move around while still staying within the boundaries of an underlying framework that the strings quickly re-engage, creating a pleasing finale that would have fit neatly in any of Jarrett's jazz quartets from that era. But what truly distinguishes it as a superb composition that suits the bill is the result's total coherence, which is enhanced by the strings.

Hi,

Believe it or not, this was one of the first albums of KJ that I got, and right after it I went after Jan Garbarek, which I enjoyed a lot, even though it felt like it had a spirit that was way out there and I'm not sure that it was jazz, but some sort of free form something or other, and it wasn't until his time with Charlie Haden and Egberto Gismonti that Garbarek "mellowed out" and started his experimental period of which "EVENTYR" is a phenomenal album and should be mentioned here, however, things in there are not exactly jazz, opening with "Soria Maria" a very stunning piece that was also used in a film that ended up getting the Foreign Film Oscar award, and had this piece, and some by Terje Rypdal as well.

While KJ stuck to his jazz abilities and experimentations, in the end, I seemed to feel that he should have been writing some things for orchestra as well, with one slight problem ... orchestras are notoriously bad about new things, because it takes rehearsal and attention and above all ... time ... for which they would not get paid to make sure their part was better ... but nowadays, with keyboards being able to replace an orchestra his one hand ability should help define music very well, unless he has completely let go of his left hand musical ability, and even in his mind, without the left hand he can not hear, or feel what he is composing ... something like that.

But i between, I think he has given us some amazing material and music ... and some solo piano which makes his THE American piano player of the 20th Century, second to probably none other even though jazz in America has some outstanding piano players. But KJ's freedom with the music is the difference.

BTW, if you have not seen it, there are many little interviews and specials that he talks about music ... and his take? Yep ... you got it ... forget it all except what you see! And education? Blurppppp! I say that stuff all the time ... music is not about notes and chords ... it's about your heart and your own inner vision ... and without that the music has no soul ... let it be chords and notes so we forget it faster yet ... 

Edited by moshkito - March 29 2024 at 07:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 07:57
An all-time favourite from Santana.

AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 09:56
Try this. A super unique Yugoslavian jazz fusion group from the mid to late seventies called "September." 

Some of the best choir work of all time, and very meditative. I think it was even sampled by Kendrick Lamar!
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 10:41
For that jazzy prog, piano, acoustic, sax sort of thing, I will always love Traffic's John Barleycorn Must Die and Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. More in the rock genre than jazz, but quite atmospheric and mellow without being bland. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 16:51
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

Try this. A super unique Yugoslavian jazz fusion group from the mid to late seventies called "September." 

Some of the best choir work of all time, and very meditative. I think it was even sampled by Kendrick Lamar!
That one is indeed good, but it's really a version of "Ostavi trag" from Tihomir "Pop" Asanović's 1974 debut solo album. In my opinion, the first version is even better. The lead female vocalist in the original rendition is the Croatian singer Josipa Lisac, who delivers a fantastic performance. There are a few proggy synth noises that I like. The song features Asanović's dreamy electric piano solo in the middle, as well as a gorgeous soprano sax solo with an endearing Coltrane-esque vibe.

Edited by Moyan - March 29 2024 at 17:03
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 20:06
You'll like "Two Rainbows Daily" by Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen if you like ECM-like fusion with piano and synthesiser. The orchestrations and overall dreamy atmosphere remind me of Ralph Towner's usage of synthesisers on his solo recordings and the ECM release of the Oregon self-titled LP.

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 08:42
This track is from the 1979 album "Ručni rad" by Macedonian band Leb i Sol, which is not only their best studio album but also, dare I say, one of the best European jazz-rock albums ever made. The arrangements and performances of the songs are just amazing. The entire record exudes a deep sense of vitality and delicate southern European sensibility. It's essential! The album features one of the most dreamy pieces from the thriving European jazz-rock scene of the late 1970s, "Verni Pas," a delicate tune with a poignant saxophone solo and beautiful keyboards that altogether, with a wordless chorus and brief acoustic guitar solo at the end, fit the bill perfectly.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2024 at 12:38

A bit too fast for what I'm looking for, but when I saw Eastern European music, I remembered this one. I'm almost positive I found it here :)

ILUMINACIJA - MIKI PETKOVSKI (1979)

I always prefer a woman's voice nowadays over the music... I also love vocables over a song, which allow the vocals to be an instrument, and not worry about lyrical phrasing, etc...

Edited by MortSahlFan - March 30 2024 at 12:42

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 00:47
The strange fate of the Serbian band 37°C is tied to their unusual album, "Sidarta." All of the recording and mixing of the material took place at Gooseberry Studio in London in the early spring of 1979. However, the finished product was rejected as "uncommercial" by Belgrade's major label, PGP, which, despite covering all of the recording expenses, never released the album in 1979. The content has been all but forgotten since then, and while it was available as a self-published cassette album on Belgrade's bootleg market, it wasn't until 2017 that the Discom label officially released it as a vinyl LP.

The title track, which was named after and influenced by Herman Hesse's Siddhartha novel, opens the album. This eighteen-minute epic, which is jazzy, trippy, experimental, and spacey, seems to fit the bill. 
The amazing musical composition features a variety of sounds and textures, including captivating synths, a catchy bass line, and expressive guitar; the drums appear only towards the end of a song following vocal improvisation using wordless vocables, saxophones, and flutes, all of which have the purpose of evoking daydreams. 
The gradation of the arrangement is also fascinating, especially in the way some instruments are presented. The plot of Hesse's work is really portrayed in the song's arrangement: Siddhartha, the main character, first views perfection as "Brahman," but he soon abandons this idea to pursue his own route of self-discovery. The band members use every bit of their musical knowledge to build up the energy to the point where faultless performances explode throughout the song. One might find that a quite meditative approach.

Edited by Moyan - March 31 2024 at 02:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 08:19
I love that slow wah-wah, which seems to fit so well... Catherine Howe is such a great singer, and matched with the great Piero Piccioni

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 15:08
One of my favorite songs by Brand X, "Black Moon" from their LP "Masques!"  1978.  This has an AMAZING mini-Moog synth solo by Morris Pert! 

Edited by cstack3 - April 03 2024 at 23:32
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 08:01
Brecker Brothers  - Levitate

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2024 at 18:49
The 1974 album "Haiku" by Don Ellis is a singular piece of jazz. The ten tracks composed by Ellis are based on Japanese haiku poems and include violins, violas, cellos, and harps in addition to the trumpet, which serves as the main instrument.
The harmonic smoothness of Ellis's own arrangements is superb. Additionally included on "Haiku" are guitarists, keyboardists, and a rhythm section, although their contributions are minimal. The music on the album is incredibly tranquil, calming, and meditative.
"Water Jewels" is highly recommended for anyone who values contemplative melody, mellowness, and the sounds of the trumpet, harp, and softly played strings. Very lovely music to calm your thoughts and induce a dreamlike state.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 05:35
YUJI OHNO Love does not return

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 03:38
Camel - Selva

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 10:19
"Bagatelle #4" is one of my favourites from Chick Corea's "Secret Agent" album. Amazing sound, beautifully played. Composed by a musical genius, the great Chick Corea, it is one of a kind. Dreamily sound of vocables floating in Corea's sumptuous synthesiser setting and fretless bass line built by Bunny Brunel.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>