Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

You find six nineties Yous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Chose one that You like if You like to...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [23.08%]
2 [7.69%]
9 [34.62%]
2 [7.69%]
2 [7.69%]
5 [19.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You find six nineties Yous
    Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:13
I deliberately wanted to keep this short. Six young tracks including one not in PA (by Portishead). Please vote for one of these "You" songs from the 90s. And feel free to mention any others provided that you mention and vote for one included in the poll. Thanks.

Cardiacs - Flap Off You Beak

Dream Theater - You Not Me

Marillion - Beyond You

Portishead - Only You

Rush - You Bet Your Life

Swans - Love Will Save You

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:19
Cardiacs gets my vote.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:30
Marillion
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:32
For "Me" it's between the Swans and Portishead tracks. I'll go with Swans now.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:37
Cardiacs > Swans
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 20:47
RRUUSSHH, and Marillion. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2024 at 23:28
Swans

(random thought - Steve Hogarth sounds like Mark Hollis)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 00:12
^I find that, on the spectrum of Hogarth to Pete Townsend, Hollis lies in the middle.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 01:42
Marillion
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 02:47
Cardiacs here
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 02:52
Marillion - Beyond You
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 03:37
Swans Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 05:59
Cardiacs > Portishead > Swans
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 09:55
Cardiacs > Portishead > Rush

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 12:16
It was nice to relisten to these tracks, was it only to confirm that DT and Rush really aren't very good here, compared to their previous works. I like Cardiacs and Swans and I also like the Marillion track, but I think it has more strength within the context of the album than as a stand alone track. But Only You by Portishead is really a very iconic track for the 90s, much more than all the others, IMO.

My favourite radio station is on a Portishead/Beth Gibbons binge these last weeks, since Beth Gibbons has released a new single, awaiting her new album. I'm not complaining.

Edited by suitkees - March 29 2024 at 12:21

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 13:58
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

It was nice to relisten to these tracks, was it only to confirm that DT and Rush really aren't very good here, compared to their previous works. I like Cardiacs and Swans and I also like the Marillion track, but I think it has more strength within the context of the album than as a stand alone track. But Only You by Portishead is really a very iconic track for the 90s, much more than all the others, IMO.

My favourite radio station is on a Portishead/Beth Gibbons binge these last weeks, since Beth Gibbons has released a new single, awaiting her new album. I'm not complaining.

DT and Rush were, I think, into a kind of softer hard pop-rock here that doesn't satisfy me. Swans was in an accessible phase, but I love that era. "Only You" is indeed iconic.   With Sing To God, my favourite tracks as stand-alone are "Dirty Boy" (arguably the greatest song ever) and Foundling (gives me goosebumps), I like Cardiacs commonly at their more "normal" (a relative term), melodic and accessible rather than the more frenetic circus-like stuff. I do love the album Sing to God taken as a whole (my favourite Cardiacs era is late 80s on the whole these days).

And regarding Richard's comment, I also was thinking about the similarities between Hogarth and Mark Holiss (I have been so very into Talk Talk quite recently).

Bath Gibbons and Rustin Man's Out of Season from 2002 has some really great music ("Spider Monkey" being a particular favourite).

Thanks for mentioning the single from Beth Gibbons upcoming Lives Outgrown album. I'm listening to it now and immediately loving it.

Edited by Logan - March 29 2024 at 14:10
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 14:15
Logan, I have a feeling your PA polls have recently become really stale. I keep seeing the same bands appear over and over again in those polls (especially Swans and Portishead). I would recommend you to broaden your musical taste. Cheers.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 14:26
^ While those have been particular favourites of mine over the last few years, If you look more closely at my polls, including my series I did not too long ago for tracks in and out of PA, while you will find representatives of those, you will find an awful lot more. Maybe I will make a poll for you about furry hentai, that should be more up your alley. ;) But seriously, you do seem pretty snarky, condescending and critical with people. Your posts towards a certain member who is fan of a German band come to mind. Live and let live. I prefer to focus on the positive and would rather avoid certain negative and tactless people. If you want to make polls that show your wide variety of tastes, I would be interested in those and will participate to the best of my ability (especially if they leave off anything Neal Morse related). And I suggest if you have noting to add on a topic that is sufficiently releavnt to the topic's aim, then don't post. Oh, and I prefer to be called Greg.

By the way, here are the results of series of polls I did. You will find various of my favourite songs from various acts mentioned various times, which does include Swans, Cardiacs, and Portishead.

I doubt you would find very much to like here, but I would like to see your effort doing something similar and greater variety, while only including music that you love: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132552

Edited by Logan - March 29 2024 at 14:36
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 14:27
^^Yep, and Cardiacs are mentioned frequently, but I couldn't do any better, can you Hrychu?

First vote for DT.

Pat Metheny - The Road To You is a good one.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - March 29 2024 at 14:51
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 14:53
Of course I could do more variety if I chose to as there is a huge amount of music I know and love, but I tend to favour what I am most into now (most not being Prog). Part of writing at the forum (for me) is about presenting a somewhat consistent character (In real life I am far more interesting - lol), and I like to be self-referential (a place where a lot of what I find humorous comes from) in these which also increases repetition. I do think the best way is to lead by example or just do your own thing (within the rules and forum decorum). So if you don't like how some do their topics or their focus, do your own. Other people might pick up on that and emulate it. The forum is, seemingly, dying, and I'd think the more variety of subject matter and approaches is a good thing. And for this place to seem like a tolerant, friendly and welcoming forum is important. We need new blood, new approaches and new material, to keep going and not get stale.

Edited by Logan - March 29 2024 at 14:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>