Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums/Songs Similar to Tales from Topographic Oce
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums/Songs Similar to Tales from Topographic Oce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote greenmoustaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums/Songs Similar to Tales from Topographic Oce
    Posted: March 29 2024 at 09:54
Hi everyone, ive been searching for albums that are similar to tales from topographic oceans in a way. Not necessarily the concept or scale, but more the songwriting. This 'ocean of music' as many call it, especially apparent on the revealing science of god. A constant call and response interplay between all instruments creating a detailed environment. The obvious answer would be most of the songs from the yes album up to going for the one, but i wonder if there are any other artists that have captured this type of interplay. One song i can think of is Eruption by Focus. google search doesnt make me any wiser for finding more songs. I think it happens alot in classical music, so recommendations thereof would be also welcome. Thanks in advance.
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 10:04
When I think of Tales, "Ocean" from Eloy is the first similarity that comes to mind. Stylistically, it has the same spacey and ethereal atmosphere, and structurally it is also a 4 track epic (albeit each song on Tales is 10+ minutes longer). 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 11:35
I don't know if it's exactly what you want, but "Utopia" by Todd Rundgren came to my mind as I read your post. Also "In Collaboration with the Gods" by Michael Quatro is a good one to check out. 

Edited by Manuel - April 03 2024 at 08:27
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 11:46
Check out Invention of Knowledge by Anderson/Stolt.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 12:03
Maybe Wobbler. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 13:43
Possibly Caligonaut. Wink
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 15:02
Maybe Three Friends by Gentle Giant?
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 19:51
One group that I have always thought came close to emulating the structure of Yes' music is the very little ackowledged Australian band Sebastian Hardy, in particular their first album "Four Moments".

You also might like to try a song from the off shoot band Windchase:

Edited by Hugh Manatee - March 29 2024 at 19:53
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 20:01
One could easily get lost in Mike Oldfields 'Incantations', or Dire Straits 'Love Over Gold'.

Some others (albums that feel like you're on an ocean)

The Who - Quadrophenia

Colin Masson - Isle of Eight

Marillion - Marbles

Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2024 at 20:40
German band Fragile and especially their second album, "Beyond," are highly recommended. With a strong Yes feel throughout, Fragile also adopted an original approach.

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2024 at 06:48
I find Tales to be compositionally and sonically unique. The sound Howe gets out of his Les Paul Studio leaves me flabbergasted. The guy knows what he's doing. Wakeman's keys give the album an unparalleled feel of a marine environment. 

Just thinking about this, I want to go snorkel in the Bahamas right now. It's been decades since I've petted the crinoids at Telephone Pole Reef.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 19:36
Höstsonaten - Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Edited by Frets N Worries - April 02 2024 at 19:37
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 00:06
Originally posted by greenmoustaches greenmoustaches wrote:

Hi everyone, ive been searching for albums that are similar to tales from topographic oceans in a way. Not necessarily the concept or scale, but more the songwriting. This 'ocean of music' as many call it, especially apparent on the revealing science of god. A constant call and response interplay between all instruments creating a detailed environment. The obvious answer would be most of the songs from the yes album up to going for the one, but i wonder if there are any other artists that have captured this type of interplay. One song i can think of is Eruption by Focus. google search doesnt make me any wiser for finding more songs. I think it happens alot in classical music, so recommendations thereof would be also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the intriguing question!  Give "Visions" a listen, the first movement "Eternity's Breath" is very choral and evocative of "Revealing!"   John McLaughin and Jean Luc Ponty trade some furious licks back and forth on electric guitar and violin!!  

Also, welcome to PA! 

Edited by cstack3 - April 03 2024 at 00:09
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
ken_scrbrgh View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ken_scrbrgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 05:59
In this connection, I would like to mention two, post “Tales from Topographic Oceans” performances by Yes:
“Awaken” from “Going for the One” and “That, That Is” from “Keys to Ascension I.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 07:09
The Chronicles Of Father Robin
Olias Of Sunhillow

The Prog Corner
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 21:25
Have you heard the 70s Australian prog band Sebastian Hardie? Very much Tales sounding imo. 

Starcastle was very Yes sounding in general so you might want to check them out too. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 04 2024 at 21:27
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 21:31
Originally posted by ken_scrbrgh ken_scrbrgh wrote:

In this connection, I would like to mention two, post “Tales from Topographic Oceans” performances by Yes:
“Awaken” from “Going for the One” and “That, That Is” from “Keys to Ascension I.”

I need to listen to "That, That is" more but I agree with Awaken. And although this might sound kind of odd to some I actually think "Fish" the instrumental section that follows "long distance runaround" on Fragile sounds like it could have fit in somewhere on Tales. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 04 2024 at 21:31
GUD77 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUD77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 11:44
Translator
Definitely Tales inspired. But The Flower Kings album "Unfold The Future" features one of their many masterpieces, "The Truth Will Set You Free", Which is one of their finest hours and as stated in the wiki on the last.fm page for the song:

"One of the Flower Kings' longest tracks, it owes a great deal to Yes ' often maligned double album Tales From Topographic Oceans including the re-working of some of its melodic themes"
 Post Reply Post Reply