Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pt 16: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pt 16: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Vote for three of these, or more, or less. One vote per track.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
3 [13.64%]
3 [13.64%]
1 [4.55%]
3 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [18.18%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pt 16: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years
    Posted: April 02 2024 at 11:55
This is part 16 of a series where I attempt to cover no more than one track per album throughout the series (but I failed before) and I only cover music I am into. Feel free to vote for three tracks (or more, or less) from the poll. Please just one vote per track. And feel free to vote with limited familiarity. Surprised to see biggies I left off, especially that Coltrane as it is my favourite from him. And I thought I did "Swimming Horses, but apparently not.

John Coltrane "Olé" (Olé Coltrane, 1961)
The Byrds "Eight Miles High" (Fifth Dimension, 1966)
Mandingo "Chant of the Virgins" (The Primeval Rhythm of Life, 1973)
Gary Numan "M.E." (The Pleasure Principle, 1979)
Siouxsie and The Banshees "Swimming Horses" (Hyæna, 1984)
Cocteau Twins "Kookaburra" (Aikea-Guinea, 1985)
Enya "Caribbean Blue" (Shepherd Moons, 1991)
Stereolab "Come and Play in the Milky Night" (Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night, 1999)
Air "Cherry Blossom Girl" (Talkie Walkie, 2004)
Juana Molina "Los hongos de Marosa" (Un día, 2008)
Deerhunter "Earthquake" (Halcyon Digest, 2010)
Gongjoong Doduk (aka Mid-Air Thief) "The Knot" (Gongjoong Doduk, 2015)
Julia Holter "Ocean" (Something in the Room She Moves, 2024)

Here is the playlist:

And here are the tracklists for the polls that I have covered for both the "in PA" and the "out of PA" series: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132552

I like to make these playlists to revisit albums and to keep me listening to music as I tend to spend too much time listening to true crime. Hopefully various people will see something in the list that they feel worth commenting on.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 13:09
Hmm, while it has only been an hour something, I expected that The Byrds "Eight Miles High" likely would have got a vote (plus comment) soon after putting this up, and maybe Gary Numan by now.   

Right now I'll vote for:
John Coltrane "Olé"
Siouxsie and The Banshees "Swimming Horses"
Air "Cherry Blossom Girl"
Juana Molina "Los hongos de Marosa"

Edited by Logan - April 02 2024 at 13:10
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 18:27
Gary Numan was 'the man' back in the day. The only time I've ever queued to buy a record was for Replicas. Cars and Films are also fantastic tracks off that second album. He was one of the true progressive artists of the late seventies.
I also voted for Enya.
May come back for a third vote after I've listened to the playlist.

Edited by richardh - April 02 2024 at 18:29
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2024 at 22:12
^ Thanks, Richard. I would count Replicas as one of my first album loves. Hearing it as a child had a significant impact on me. I think it helped pabed the way for a lot of what I am interested in today. As for that Enya, I got it when it was newly released. In the 90s especially I was very big on Enya.

Edited by Logan - April 02 2024 at 22:12
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 01:59
Enya - Caribbean Blue
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Swimming Horses
Cocteau Twins - Kookaburra
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 10:45
^ Thanks. I was listening to this playlist last night, and while a silent voter voted for it, I have to give another vote to Air's "Cherry Blossom Girl". Air is one of my favourite bands for several albums, and "Cherry Blossom Girl" is what got me into Air. The video was an a site I used to visit a lot in the first half of the 2000s called Atom Films. I found it enthralling and also so much pathos. One the surface one might say it's not much of a pop song, but it resonated deeply with me. And I love the Mid-Air thief one. Of course I dig all of these.

I really would have expected Eight Miles High to get votes by now. I think it's a great, well-known and seminal track.

I am strangely fascinated in these to see who votes and for what, it plays a part in how well I feel I know this community, and individuals here. And it is in such topics that I have made some great connections with people on a music level and had some really enjoyable-to-me chats (I save talking more serious stuff for not at the forum). By the way, I know some don't like to vote without listening to all, which is cool. It's not necessary, but in these track ones I too would want to find the time and have the inclination to listen through (maybe not all the way through every track if music clearly does not appeal).

Edited by Logan - April 03 2024 at 10:48
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 10:46
Air "Cherry Blossom Girl" (Talkie Walkie, 2004)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 17:51
John Coltrane, Deerhunter, and either Enya or Julia Holter. OK I vote for four. If the boss does that, so can I. Siouxsie and Stereolab next. Never cared for Gary Numan even though everyone else seems to think he is great. That Molina video didn't play for me, too lazy to look for a replacement. Love Eight Miles High but know it too well.

Edited by Lewian - April 03 2024 at 17:59
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 18:10
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

John Coltrane, Deerhunter, and either Enya or Julia Holter. OK I vote for four. If the boss does that, so can I. Siouxsie and Stereolab next. Never cared for Gary Numan even though everyone else seems to think he is great. That Molina video didn't play for me, too lazy to look for a replacement. Love Eight Miles High but know it too well.

Many thanks for taking the time to listen to what was working.

For any others who find that the Molina video does not work for their location (for my quirky tastes, well worth hearing):

And, to all, while I am very appreciative people who take the time to check out the playlist, it is not a requirement. So, say, those who only know Eight Miles High and/or Enya or whatever, feel free to vote for either or both choices (commenting on the selections is much more appreciated than just voting -- I can't feel a connection with the community just by seeing votes alone). If one can vote for three, or more, all the better.

As for Gary Numan. That is one that my eldest brother had in his collection (bought when released) that had connected with me in my childhood (when about eight) and became part of my DNA for Replica's (Tubeway Army). And then as a teen I really was into Telekon (someone gave my the vinyl), and then I was into The Pleasure Principle. I appreciate the aesthetic (especially with Replicas) in sort of a similar way that I appreciate Kraftwerk, especially for Die Mensch-Maschine (I would say Kraftwerk is better....)

The vast majority that I cover I have not been into for nearly so long as Numan. Generally what most excites now I got into not many years ago at all.

That Deerhunter is a very good one. A well-known album that I had not payed much attention to until recently, and is not to be confused with THE DEAR HUNTER in PA (which I don't appreciate anywhere near as much). Or Deerhoof, or Dear Prudence....

Edited by Logan - April 03 2024 at 18:43
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 18:51
Nice, I like it! (That Molina track, I mean.)

Edited by Lewian - April 03 2024 at 18:53
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2024 at 18:55
^ She's great! A forum member brought her to my attention (or more to my attention) some time ago in some topic.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 03:31
Juana Molina is indeed great. And last week-end I listened to Julia Holter's new album, which is wonderful, again. Many interesting music in the list, but now I think I would go with Gary Numan, Air and Julia Holter...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 10:06
^ Thanks, Kees. I especially fell hard for her Segundo album of which I chose ""El perro" from in an earlier one of these polls (part 8). Wonderful.
 Post Reply Post Reply