Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amazing Analog Adventures!, by Automated Hero

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Automated Hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amazing Analog Adventures!, by Automated Hero
    Posted: April 04 2024 at 01:42
Retro synth, prog adjacent (perhaps?). Inspired by the likes of Tangerine Dream and Jarre.

Thanks for listening.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 07:08
Originally posted by Automated Hero Automated Hero wrote:

Retro synth, prog adjacent (perhaps?). Inspired by the likes of Tangerine Dream and Jarre.

Thanks for listening.

Hi,

Nice stuff, and I would like to review it some, but not sure that what I will say will help you. I'm not a musician, per se, that is mechanically inclined to notes and chords, but I am a writer and a free form one at that. Thus, the things that I love the most are "free" from a "clock" and the visual content of the piece continues for a long time, thus, it is not about a solo, or just a specific sound with this ... that you want on top of all that and such ... to me, the "vision" defines the instrumentation, not the other way around, and specially hard/harsh is how much folks work on a DAW simply to change what they originally found, and proceeded to break apart that moment in time. For me, as a writer, that's not a good thing, since in the end, you stop trusting your inner ability to find something unusual ... and from then on, it becomes all notes and chords and another sound ... the continuity suffers and folks think that having a drum track determines the continuity to ... nowhere I like to say ... the music changes to something else and the drum track is the same? Bizarre!

I like to say ... dump the clock, or the drum machine, and just let the music come on its own ... but then some folks will just say that Mosh is just another young kid banging on a keyboard ... and all the adults are having a drink and smoking their puffs discussing T. S. Elliot! The kid doesn't know nothing, and we have nothing to learn from that moment ... It's all about how you look at your "picture" ... not the DAW.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Automated Hero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Automated Hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2024 at 14:14
I appreciate your comments and thanks for listening, however theuse of a metronome is something I won't be abandoning. Particularly as there are Berlin school elements involved.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 07:00
Originally posted by Automated Hero Automated Hero wrote:

I appreciate your comments and thanks for listening, however the use of a metronome is something I won't be abandoning. Particularly as there are Berlin school elements involved.

Hi,

No issue there ... there is a time and place for it. 

As a free form writer, I like to say that the "crutch" one accidentally creates for their work, is often the same thing that ties them down when you feel that the writing muse has gone on vacation. 

I like to use examples from my book on improvisation, that many musicians are not too keen on trying ... here are some examples ... 

1. Add music to the wind around you. (Remember that it changes every second and there is no "beat" for it to cue you in!)
2. Add music to a small stream of water. The amount of water changes and the little sounds change depending on how much water hit this little rock over there or the piece of wood that came down with the water ... etc ... etc ... oh wait ... a little tin soldier on a paper boat!!! (Time to have fun!)
3. Silence. See if you can find the "source" for a sound in your mind ... it's not an instrument!

Good luck ... too much of the music available today is tied to the "clock" and in due time it will be tired and gone. The new material always changes what was happening before, and it wasn't just a sound as it has been with rock/jazz music in the past 60/70 years. Exception might be the ECM label.

The best to you ... 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Automated Hero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Automated Hero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2024 at 13:50
Thank you. I appreciate the comments.
 Post Reply Post Reply