Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the most underrated prog-rock keyboardist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the most underrated prog-rock keyboardist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 16:15
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Peter Hecht from "The Pink Mice"

Really? Rarely do I see him mentioned. I have the 2 on 1 cd...but I think it was transferred directly from vinyl instead of being remixed
Yes, really. Peter Hecht is a brilliant musician. The Pink Mice have garnered some ridiculously low review ratings at PA, though I rated them high and gave them a good review, and rightly so. 
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 22:11
How about Patrick Moraz?

Edited by Valdez1 - April 17 2024 at 22:13
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 22:47
^ he's 'Prog royalty' due to Relayer (and to a lesser extent for Refugee) so probably not underrated by anyone. He's a bit like Eddie Jobson in that I wish he had done more.

It's strange that Eloy's keyboard players in their classic era (73 to 84) are never mentioned. I'm as guilty of that as anyone. 

1973-1975 (Inside to Power and The Passion) Manfred Wieczorke
1976-1979 (Dawn to Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes) Detlev Schmidtchen
1980 onwards Hannes Folberth

They were all very different players for different times. Wieczorke was an organist in the Ken Hensley mode. Heep were a big influence for them in them in the early days. Then for their most 'popular' phase they had a player Schmidtchen with a more tradiitional set up using Melltron and Moog as well as ARP and Hammond. From Colours they have stuck mainly with the man with the synths Hannes Folberth. He is my favourite and has crafted very much what I see as the distinct Eloy space sound. When prog was largely floundering in the 80's they upped their game and Hannes Folberth was the man for the moment and he still is knocking around on their recent albums and doing a great job (although he was replaced by Steve Mann for the very last album)
loveleviathan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveleviathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 20:07
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Among others, Manfred Mann, if I ask some prog rock listners who this guy is, I guess only a handfull of them will say I know him, sad, his keyboard tone is unique and recognizable from hundreds

People don't know Manfred Mann? They are surely missing out.. Cool
Solar Sailor, drifting into your heart…
Solar Sailor, moving us one by one into just one…
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123