Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the most underrated prog-rock keyboardist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the most underrated prog-rock keyboardist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 05:15
Honestly?  Robert Fripp.  He played Mellotron from the beginning (ITCOTCK), and electric piano on LTIA.  He also played keys on his solo LPs with Andy Summers. 

There was a kit set up in the basement, along with an array of amps and keyboards. And so for an hour or so we just played, improvising freely, Fripp on electric piano as well as guitar.

I Advanced Masked credits: 

• Robert Fripp – electric guitars, Moog and Roland synthesizers, Roland guitar synthesizer, Fender bass, percussion
  • Andy Summers – electric guitars, Moog and Roland synthesizers, piano, Roland guitar synthesizer, Fender bass, percussion

Edited by cstack3 - April 06 2024 at 05:18
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 05:29
The many shades of Rob Reed - the Mike Oldfield of Neo Prog.

5 stars 2014: Robert Reed - Sanctuary - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lEXFN-SNu_rgnMfkyMtR1OzwTemPOZS9s

5 stars 2007: Magenta - Live at the Point, Cardiff - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_TaS3ukydpIwzLFD-pM-zi4uyLQYqWAB

5 stars 1993: Cyan - For King and Country - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wacxgQvJe8A   
 5 stars 1994: Cyan - Pictures from the Other Side - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aDaHGNq-7U  
 5 stars 2021: Cyan - For King and Country (re-recording)

4 stars 1997: The Fyreworks - The Fyreworks

4 stars 2007: Trippa - Sorry

4 stars 2010: Christina Booth - Broken Lives & Bleeding Hearts
 4 stars 2015: Christina Booth - The Light

3 stars 2012: Chris Fry - Composed

4 stars 2016: Kiama - Sign of IV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kehxw1_UDY

By the way, Rob Reed plays keyboards too, just like Mike Oldfield. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 06 2024 at 07:43
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 20:32
Jurgen Fritz and Pete Bardens for sure.
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 07:21
Not prog, but Neil Larsen is an underrated jazz keyboardist. He played with Steve Lukather if I recall well.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

So anyone beyond Emerson, Wakeman, Banks and Wright... LOL

This is tough ... but here goes. I think some folks might not like this post.

Keith was a classical music composer, and the way it was presented with ELP was the only way he could get his material played or heard. Considering him just a keyboardist is kinda silly in my book, specially when nowadays you can hear some of his material done acoustically via Rachel Flowers' hands! Something that many "fans" won't do.

Wakeman, for my tastes is one of the bigger buffoons to play ... he certainly can play, and I would consider him a definite "keyboardist", but for my ears, and heart, a 2nd rate composer, completely dependant on the various different synths and sounds. If the electricity is turned of, I am not sure that you will EVER enjoy listening to Rick, as it will sound plain, boring and tired.

Tony, is tough ... he has not really shown any of us anything else other than what he does for the band, thus making it difficult to know what to say without sounding rude. I think he has the tools for it, and would like to see him branch out of the group, but I am not sure he is comfortable, or used to doing anything beyond the 5, 6 or 7 minutes of a composition for the group. I think he has it, but it has to get out from the "band" for us to know better.

Rick W is probably the one person that helped PF be a sound behemoth, instead of it just being a solo or piece of nothing keyboard sound over a rock song. Rick, was always the best "experimentalist" of all the members of the group, and it was sad that all that DG could do on one more album, was to present him as a bunch of songs, when I think a lot of the material Rick W came up with would likely give Tangerine Dream, Jean Michel Jarre and many others a run for their work, but folks around PF and Rick's family will never allow that stuff to be heard and seen ... and DG is just a musician, not an artist to appreciate what Rick left behind. One can only hope that some of it shows up, and completely away from DG, RW and any PF connection so the music has a chance to live ... but I am not sure that the family "owns" much of it and this might be the problem ... owned by someone else that just keeps it on the stacks of ... death forever, just like the amount of stuff in Frank Zappa's old house that not even his _________ knows what to do with it, and Dweezil is not smart enough to go beyond the quantity of notes and touches and well remembered songs! Dweezil's creativity is stuck in nowhere land!

As much as I love listening to Rick Wright's moments, they are by far some of the best sound bits, even stronger at times than Tangerine Dream, my sentiments go with Keith ... and his classical style that so few folks can appreciate, and how the time and place forced him to show his material in a way that we enjoyed, but was not exactly what he had in mind.

One last comment ... and it is about the big buffoon ... and a reminder that JP Rampal, one day decided to do a show with a well known jazz flautist ... at the Hollywood Bowl ... and I can tell you that from that day on, JP Rampal, was shown to be a very poor player that could not even improvise. He was blown off the stage, literally! I think the same with happen to Rick ... although I have to admit that a couple of his specials, like the one on Vivaldi, is excellent, but it was like it was giving him license to let his right hand go bananas on a 3rd and then 4th keyboard, so the same thing sounds different. At least Vivaldi, could not "cheat!.

Edited by moshkito - April 16 2024 at 06:34
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 08:33
@ moshkito - I was joking, I thought the LOL emoticon showed that... 
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 09:07
I think possibly that Rod Argent is underrated by the more casual of rock & prog fans.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 12:39
Roine Stolt. People constantly praise him for his guitar playing/songwriting but not many are aware of his keyboard skills. Roine played all of the keyboard parts on The Flower King (1994) and I think he did a great job.

Also, moshkito. Both Wakeman and Wright start with the W. xD So in the end the way you wanted to differentiate one from another in your post is still not super clear. Lmao.

Edited by Hrychu - April 10 2024 at 12:43
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 17:01
[QUOTE=mellotronwave] Firsts that come to my mind are :

John Hawken : Strawbs, Renaissance, Illusion, Spooky Tooth
Wooly Wolstenholme : Barclay James Harvest
John Tout : Renaissance
Flavio Premoli : PFM
Nocenzi Vittorio and Gianni : Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Mist : Grobschnitt
Hugh Banton : VDGG

Adding :
Don Airey : Colosseum II, Deep Purple, and so on...
Blue Weaver : The Strawbs
Dave Greenslade : Colosseum, Greenslade (band)

Edited by mellotronwave - April 10 2024 at 17:01
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2024 at 18:26
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Also, moshkito. Both Wakeman and Wright start with the W. xD So in the end the way you wanted to differentiate one from another in your post is still not super clear. Lmao.

He reminds me a lot of my Mum who also expects you to have taken your telepathy pills when conversing.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 05:52
Among others, Manfred Mann, if I ask some prog rock listners who this guy is, I guess only a handfull of them will say I know him, sad, his keyboard tone is unique and recognizable from hundreds
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:05
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Among others, Manfred Mann, if I ask some prog rock listners who this guy is, I guess only a handfull of them will say I know him, sad, his keyboard tone is unique and recognizable from hundreds

From Manfred Mann's Earth Band ? Underrated prog band. Glorified Magnified is a great album. I recall Messin' too.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:39
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

He reminds me a lot of my Mum who also expects you to have taken your telepathy pills when conversing.

Hi,

Strange comment in my book ... what's the point of having/using telepathy if you don't use it? Being cross, silly, and off the conversation, is another story! 

BTW, telepathy can not be "learned" by a pill ... you either "have it" and develop it, or forget about it. And a mother would not necessarily know about her son, or daughter, in regards to that ability, although I have read and heard that some traits can carry genetically, but the developing of them is another story! I would almost say the mum is not interested in the conversation and is using an excuse to get you riled up! LOL
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 16:31
^ she certainly succeeds at that Smile
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 16:58
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Peter Hecht from "The Pink Mice"

Really? Rarely do I see him mentioned. I have the 2 on 1 cd...but I think it was transferred directly from vinyl instead of being remixed
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 17:09
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

Firsts that come to my mind are :

John Hawken : Strawbs, Renaissance, Illusion, Spooky Tooth
Wooly Wolstenholme : Barclay James Harvest
John Tout : Renaissance
Flavio Premoli : PFM
Nocenzi Vittorio and Gianni : Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
Mist : Grobschnitt
Hugh Banton : VDGG
Hawken and Tout may not be as famous but I've never heard that were underrated. Quite the opposite in fact.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2024 at 17:09
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 17:12
Blue Weaver from the Strawbs. Now, that man was underrated.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:51
Barock Project's composer/keyboardist Luca Zabbini is most underrated modern prog keyboardist. Luca also tours as PFM's keyboardist.

Lucky for me, Barock Project is releasing a new album.Wink  

I feel Dennis DeYoung is underrated.  Without DeYoung, Styx would have been just a rock band with resplendent harmonies. When it comes to rating musicians, I emphasize composition skills.  DeYoung's ear for beautiful keyboard melodies cannot be denied. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 17 2024 at 05:00
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 11:35
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I feel Dennis DeYoung is underrated.  Without DeYoung, Styx would have been just a rock band with resplendent harmonies. When it comes to rating musicians, I emphasize composition skills.  DeYoung's ear for beautiful keyboard melodies cannot be denied. 

Absolutely agree with this take. Dennis DeYoung is not only one of the most slept on keyboardists in prog, but he's undeniably one of the best voices in MUSIC. His work with Styx (especially on Grand Illusion, Pieces of Eight, and Cornerstone) is absolutely 1st class in both aspects. 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 11:42
Another fan of Dennis DeYoung here. IMO, Styx without DeYoung is a joke. Between his keyboard mastery and crystalline vocal cords, DDY made Styx a standout in a landscape of by-the-numbers AOR bands.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>