Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

YES - Union (1991)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: YES - Union (1991)
    Posted: April 06 2024 at 06:42
Yes, it's Rick Wakeman's "Onion" album, because it always makes him cry, having been driven Close to the Edge of a nervous breakdown by producer Jonathan Elias. It should have been the greatest YES album of all time, combining the talents of eight YES members past and present from two bands. Namely, Anderson, Bruford Wakeman Howe and Chris Squire's aborted Cinema band project, featuring Tony Kaye, Trevor Rabin and Alan White. So what went wrong? Well, with so many Fragile egos at stake, the joint decision of Jon Anderson and producer Jonathan Elias to bring in session musicians to re-record some of Rick Wakeman and Steve Howe's parts maybe wasn't the most diplomatic of moves, leading to a Magnification of tensions within the band. In the ensuing Drama, Rick Wakeman threatened to walk out and Steve Howe said having his guitar parts overdubbed was like "having an abortion". And so, in that hostile atmosphere, it's surprising the Union album was completed at all. It's clearly not one of the greatest YES albums, but one good thing that did come from the fruits of all eight YES members getting together for a re-Union was the accompanying Union Tour, which surely is one of the greatest YES concerts of all time! Clap

YES line-up:- Jon Anderson; Bill Bruford; Steve Howe; Tony Kaye; Trevor Rabin; Chris Squire; Rick Wakeman; & Alan White.

Track Listing

01. I Would Have Waited Forever  (6:32)
02. Shock to the System  (5:08)
03. Masquerade  (2:16)
04. Lift Me Up  (6:29)
05. Without Hope You Cannot Start the Day  (5:16)
06. Saving My Heart  (4:38)
07. Miracle of Life  (7:30)
08. Silent Talking  (3:57)
09. The More We Live - Let Go  (4:53)
10. Angkor Wat  (5:23)
11. Dangerous (Look in the Light of What You're Searching For  (3:37)
12. Holding On  (5:23)
13. Evensong  (0:50)
14. Take the Water to the Mountain  (3:11)

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 06:55
Very true, Paul: the Union tour was very worthwhile. I saw them in Rotterdam at that time, in an "In the Round" setting. It was wonderful (still prefer the Symphonic Live concert, though).
From the album I would only retain I Would Have Waited Forever, Lift Me Up and The More We Live - Let Go. The rest are subpar Yes-songs, IMO.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2024 at 11:11
I also saw the Union concert "In the Round" and it was outstanding. Yeah, there was major friction in the making of the album, but it didn't stop Rick from going on the tour and tearing it up.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 05:03
The uplifting single from the Union album with all eight members of YES featured in the promo video.

essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 09:31
I had this album back in the day but can’t remember a single song from it - maybe time for a listen…..maybe…..🤓
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2024 at 03:03
YES - Shock to the System - from the Union Tour: Live in Denver, Colorado 1991 (the only song I remember from the Union album) Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 08 2024 at 03:04
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 19:58
There are some songs I really love on this one... particularly Shock to the System and The More We Live. I rather wish they would release a remix version of this album in which they might try and bring back Howe's and Rick's vision (and playing) into the mix (something similar to what was done with Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason).
 Post Reply Post Reply