Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beat
    Posted: April 07 2024 at 17:43
King Crimson tours again! (Sort of)

As I'm sure you're aware, Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, and Dannh Carey have formed a band of sorts called BEAT. They will be touring King Crimson's 80s Material, the US tour dates were announced and I just bought my tickets for my first ever Prog concert. What are your thoughts on this project?

Edited by Frets N Worries - April 07 2024 at 17:44
Cause its only knock and know all, but I like it...

Writing (Or Suffering from Writers Block)

Working on a New Album|Bandcamp
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 17:44
Interesting project that I'd go see if the tickets were more reasonable
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 17:49
I got two tickets for about 100, not terrible.

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2024 at 18:23
I am checking it out. Not many shows are within a 30 minute drive for me and this one is. With reserved seating, price for a standard (non VIP) ticket ranged from $50 to $130 so it depends on where you are willing to sit. But then there is an additional "ticket fee" for about 25% the ticket price.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 05:42
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Interesting project that I'd go see if the tickets were more reasonable
I totally agree. They're coming to San Diego, but the tickets are way too expensive, so I most likely won't go to the concert.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 07:06
Of course, Belew is more song focused, but I'm hoping they'll play maybe something off of the 2nd side of 'Three of a Perfect Pair'. Steve Vai might push to play some harder stuff, maybe they'll pull out 'LTIA Part II', or 'Red' if we're lucky. They were playing both of those in the 80's, so who knows?

Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 08:40
Gonna see them later in November. I am gonna become wheels, moving wheels
D~B
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2024 at 21:37
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Of course, Belew is more song focused, but I'm hoping they'll play maybe something off of the 2nd side of 'Three of a Perfect Pair'. Steve Vai might push to play some harder stuff, maybe they'll pull out 'LTIA Part II', or 'Red' if we're lucky. They were playing both of those in the 80's, so who knows?
I hope they don't play those. They've been played enough. I want to hear some fresh takes on the 80s material. If we're really lucky, they'll play some stuff from the last three albums.

Edited by Awesoreno - April 09 2024 at 21:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 18:37
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I hope they don't play those. They've been played enough. I want to hear some fresh takes on the 80s material. If we're really lucky, they'll play some stuff from the last three albums.
Fair point, FraKctured anyone?? Not sure even the great Steve Vai could handle that! LOL

The 80s material 'reconfigured' could certainly work very well. Fresh takes on a lot of those songs is long overdue. They didn't really change much from studio to concert (from what I've listened to, at least). I'd love to see the new band's take on these. LTIA Pt. III, Man With an Open Heart, Neurotica, The Howler, Indiscipline, tracks like these could certainly use an overhaul in the energy of a live environment. 

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 20:55
Vai is an amazing guitarist, as is Belew, so it will be probably be well worth seeing! 

However, I agree about the ticket prices.  I don't have nearly enough cash to see all of the bands & projects I'd like to see! 

Considering Bob Fripp's fabled appetite for coffee, my friend Wayne and I made this bit of art to give to RF after the Chicago KC "Beat" tour!  However, the outdoor show was cancelled.  I finally delivered it to him via his most excellent sister Patricia Fripp!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 00:36

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Fair point, FraKctured anyone?? Not sure even the great Steve Vai could handle that! LOL

The 80s material 'reconfigured' could certainly work very well. Fresh takes on a lot of those songs is long overdue. They didn't really change much from studio to concert (from what I've listened to, at least). I'd love to see the new band's take on these. LTIA Pt. III, Man With an Open Heart, Neurotica, The Howler, Indiscipline, tracks like these could certainly use an overhaul in the energy of a live environment. 
If you check out Three of a Perfect Pair Live in Japan (I posted it on the best KC live album thread) video, it shows how those tracks are pretty malleable. KC has always had a heavy emphasis on improvisation. But I agree, I'd like to hear even newer takes.
MitchwithDasticks View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MitchwithDasticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 18:24
Anyone else going to the Austin show?
Rottenprogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rottenprogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 22:28
As stoked as I was about the announcement of this 1980s KC tribute super-band I'm pretty disappointed that there haven't been any Western Canadian dates announced. I hope that changes in the near future but if it doesn't I'll just nab a concert bootleg from YouTube instead. 
low_end_love View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote low_end_love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 20:08
I'm really excited for this.  The tickets were a bit much, sure, but I've never seen any KC or KC-adjacent stuff live before, and I really love the 80s stuff a lot.  Yes yes all of these guys are masters of their instruments but Belew in particular is special to me, he's by far my favorite KC frontman and vocalist.  I can't explain it but he brought a lot of warmth to the band.  I've been going through this stuff again since the Beat tour announcement and the standouts for me are: Frame by Frame, Matte Kudasai, the first four tracks in Three of a Perfect Pair, Dig Me, Neal and Jack and Me, and Two Hands.  All with strong Belew vocals.  And to top it off I've been watching interviews with him (especially the recent Beat interview with Rick Whatshisname Youtube guy) and yeah Belew just seems like a loveable guy - completely the opposite of Fripp.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 01:05
According to an interview I saw, the set-list is going to be pretty close to 'Absent Lovers'

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 14:50
Got tickets to the show at the Paramount in Austin - I was at work and logged in to the presale but about a minute before tix went on sale, my computer crashed.  Had to re-enter the site and tickets sold out in the thirty minute interim; however, a dozen "obstructed view" seats still remained.  I grabbed one dead center in the balcony for $59.   I saw Hackett last week at the same theater and had the same "obstructed" seats, but I sat 12th row center.  Hackett didn't come close to selling out, so ushers weren't too bothered by our bum rushing.  Either way, anyone who's ever been to the Paramount knows there ain't a bad seat in the house......but those 
"obscured" seats sure come close.   

BTW, Hackett was a gas.....seen him a few times before and he hasn't lost a step.  The band performed Foxtrot in its entirety.....groovy stuff. 

Edited by Intruder - April 22 2024 at 14:51
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 18:38
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 10:01
This is cool, but I really wish there was a focus on the 60's and especially 70's music instead.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:44
^Considering the last official KC tour focused very heavily on the 69-74 material, with only a few tracks from 95-present and ONE track from the early 80s incarnation, this is sort of a breath of fresh air. Why would we need another Crimson off-shoot project that plays the same things?
 Post Reply Post Reply