Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dissapointment in London...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:04
Sad to hear things are so bad in England when it comes to used vinyl.
I have three used record shops near me in northwest Indiana....all within a 30min car drive ....two are literally 1 mile from my house. The one I frequent in my local town has over several thousand used pieces of vinyl including classic rock, prog rock, jazz, and fusion ...etc.....and he buys collections so there is always new stuff monthly.
I guess I'm lucky but most US cities and urban towns have record shops. I'm heading to Indianapolis this weekend so I hope to visit several shops there also.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 20:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Sad to hear things are so bad in England when it comes to used vinyl.
I have three used record shops near me in northwest Indiana....all within a 30min car drive ....two are literally 1 mile from my house. The one I frequent in my local town has over several thousand used pieces of vinyl including classic rock, prog rock, jazz, and fusion ...etc.....and he buys collections so there is always new stuff monthly.
I guess I'm lucky but most US cities and urban towns have record shops. I'm heading to Indianapolis this weekend so I hope to visit several shops there also.
Smile

I envy you! Often times you'll find the best gems where you least expect it. I haven't been able to find much of anything (as I previously mentioned), thus I rely on my bi-weekly trips to LA to get most of my vinyl. I'm actually lucky enough to be heading up tomorrow and I will definitely go get some vinyl pickups and inform this thread. 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 23:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's ok to talk from both sides of your mouth, no problem. But my opinion on buying digital media is your buying nothing.
If the internet disappears today, I can still play all my music without any interruption as well look at all the glorious brilliant artwork that was created for all my albums.......LOL
I really don't want to get in the middle of this argument, but I would like to point out something. You don't need the Internet to play a music file you've already downloaded. That's the point of downloading. Sure, the device you're playing from can break, but so can a record- or CD-player. And discs can get scratched or broken as well. And files can get corrupted, etc. So the longevity of one medium over another is pretty superfluous to this discussion. If you're talking about streaming, that's a different story.

I am relying heavily on streaming services as well. My strategy, since I'm listening to a lot of new music, is to mostly use streaming services for first listens, and also repeated listens if I like a release. Then each month I will purchase some of my favorite releases. So if the internet broke down tomorrow, I would lose access to 90% of all the music I've ever listened to, but I'll still have the remaining 10% that I like best (about 1500 releases at the moment).
Right. I act similarly. I was just puzzled by Catcher's logic in the argument since it seemed the point about the Internet disappearing was not pertinent to the discussion for the above-stated reasons. You can argue over the quality of the media or the presence of a physical cover/artwork all you want. But you can play music through any of those media types without the Internet once purchased.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 08:02

Right. I act similarly. I was just puzzled by Catcher's logic in the argument since it seemed the point about the Internet disappearing was not pertinent to the discussion for the above-stated reasons. You can argue over the quality of the media or the presence of a physical cover/artwork all you want. But you can play music through any of those media types without the Internet once purchased.

Hi,

I have a feeling that the Internet's greatest achievement is helping all artists to distribute their own work, and not have to rely on someone else. We can see it today, in various places showing the music, some for a fee, and hopefully this improves in the future, so that one day soon, we will have a top band, that made it through the services, instead of a record company. 

My hope is that the artist progress to receive much more than he/she does now. But we have to fight the monster that continues to deliver the same mac and cheese with no flavor.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 10:09

It's ok to talk from both sides of your mouth, no problem. But my opinion on buying digital media is your buying nothing.
If the internet disappears today, I can still play all my music without any interruption as well look at all the glorious brilliant artwork that was created for all my albums.......LOL
I really don't want to get in the middle of this argument, but I would like to point out something. You don't need the Internet to play a music file you've already downloaded. That's the point of downloading. Sure, the device you're playing from can break, but so can a record- or CD-player. And discs can get scratched or broken as well. And files can get corrupted, etc. So the longevity of one medium over another is pretty superfluous to this discussion. If you're talking about streaming, that's a different story.

I am relying heavily on streaming services as well. My strategy, since I'm listening to a lot of new music, is to mostly use streaming services for first listens, and also repeated listens if I like a release. Then each month I will purchase some of my favorite releases. So if the internet broke down tomorrow, I would lose access to 90% of all the music I've ever listened to, but I'll still have the remaining 10% that I like best (about 1500 releases at the moment).
My comment is a general comment about the use of streaming services, which is the main vehicle that most people use these days to listen to music. Back in the day we had something similar and it was called FM radio LOL. All of us back then would sit idly by our stereos and cassette decks and hit RECORD when our fav song came on, again we had to intently listen to music without the luxury of picking what we wanted to hear at the exact time of day we wanted to hear it.

One last thing about album covers....Some here will know what I mean when we as kids and teens walked into a record store and started flipping records and came across an album cover art that literally blew your mind, you gazed at it thinking that is so bitchin' and then you noticed that you had no idea what the music was or the artist....but we bought it anyway because of the cover. I have many of those instances that happened to me, and for the most part the music was enjoyable and I did not waste my money.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2024 at 23:12
^Totally worthwhile argument. But MikeEnRegalia wasn't talking about streaming, but downloads. It just seemed somewhat unrelated.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 00:56
^ I'd also add that the "us vs them" world that Catcher seems to paint (where the "good", real prog fans hate streaming and love vinyls and cover art, while the "bad" fans love streaming music indiscriminately and can't appreciate anything else) is something I can't relate to. 

For the record (sic), I never really liked radio, precisely because it rarely played music that I was interested in. But I really liked creating mix tapes as a kid from borrowed vinyl records from friends and relatives. I own about 1k CDs and 300ish vinyls. I've also purchased MANY releases as mp3 over the years, mostly in the 2000s when for a while you could get good bargains on Amazon and buy a release for like $5. Nowadays I use streaming a lot simply because I am really interested in hearing new releases, and it would be prohibitively expensive if I had to buy every release I'm listening to. I see a service like Spotify as a marketing device (just like vinyls were/are in the old days) to get people interested in bands. Of course everyone knows that artists do not earn much money through these services, so of course I am still buying music, mostly on Bandcamp or through the artist websites.

If I was a billionaire, of course I would buy all the releases on vinyl and then sit in a comfy chair in my luxury home, in a room dedicated to music, with thousands of vinyls and an expensive sound system - there I would spend the majority of my time handling these magnificent albums, listening to them, contemplating life. But since I'm just a normal working guy with a family to support, I have to settle for a little less luxury. For me, enjoying the cover art on my computer is a reasonable compromise. I get the music (either through streaming or as a download) in really good quality (compared to the radio/mix-tape days), and the cover art as well, and I can still buy my absolute favourite releases as vinyls, and I'm properly supporting the artists because most of my budget goes to them via Bandcamp.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 02:19
Quote My comment is a general comment about the use of streaming services, which is the main vehicle that most people use these days to listen to music. Back in the day we had something similar and it was called FM radio LOL. All of us back then would sit idly by our stereos and cassette decks and hit RECORD when our fav song came on, again we had to intently listen to music without the luxury of picking what we wanted to hear at the exact time of day we wanted to hear it.

Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:20
^^^

LOLClap

^Totally worthwhile argument. But MikeEnRegalia wasn't talking about streaming, but downloads. It just seemed somewhat unrelated.

However, downloads must be done in a real physical (hardware) external drive. If you download on the cloud, and the web goes down, you're about as screwed as a bolt and nut.

I don't trust the cloud for anything. (not even temporary storage, because it will be one day hacked.

Edited by Sean Trane - April 16 2024 at 03:20
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 03:25
I keep my purchased songs on OneDrive, my computer and an external ssd. But IF the "internet breaks down" one day, chances are that we won't even have electricity anymore. So my "hard" backup is an acoustic guitar hanging on the wall Smile
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 13:52
Just went to CD Trader in LA these are the new pickups:
Argent- Circus ($5)
Jethro Tull- Thick as a Brick ($8)
Jethro Tull- Aqualung ($8)
The Who- Tommy ($10)

pretty good haul! They also had a lot of more obscure stuff but I opted to get some classic prog instead just to cross off some names on my want list. Notably, I found a first edition "Camel" debut from the UK (although is was $270 Confused). 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 19:26

^ I'd also add that the "us vs them" world that Catcher seems to paint (where the "good", real prog fans hate streaming and love vinyls and cover art, while the "bad" fans love streaming music indiscriminately and can't appreciate anything else) is something I can't relate to. 

For the record (sic), I never really liked radio, precisely because it rarely played music that I was interested in. But I really liked creating mix tapes as a kid from borrowed vinyl records from friends and relatives. I own about 1k CDs and 300ish vinyls. I've also purchased MANY releases as mp3 over the years, mostly in the 2000s when for a while you could get good bargains on Amazon and buy a release for like $5. Nowadays I use streaming a lot simply because I am really interested in hearing new releases, and it would be prohibitively expensive if I had to buy every release I'm listening to. I see a service like Spotify as a marketing device (just like vinyls were/are in the old days) to get people interested in bands. Of course everyone knows that artists do not earn much money through these services, so of course I am still buying music, mostly on Bandcamp or through the artist websites.

If I was a billionaire, of course I would buy all the releases on vinyl and then sit in a comfy chair in my luxury home, in a room dedicated to music, with thousands of vinyls and an expensive sound system - there I would spend the majority of my time handling these magnificent albums, listening to them, contemplating life. But since I'm just a normal working guy with a family to support, I have to settle for a little less luxury. For me, enjoying the cover art on my computer is a reasonable compromise. I get the music (either through streaming or as a download) in really good quality (compared to the radio/mix-tape days), and the cover art as well, and I can still buy my absolute favourite releases as vinyls, and I'm properly supporting the artists because most of my budget goes to them via Bandcamp.
It's funny how you edited your first post that slammed vinyl as an invented marketing tool for music, insinuating that it was nothing else than that.....But yet your putting words into my mouth about this ridiculous "us vs them" picture that I am painting, which I never stated. Whereas you portray a more negative post about vinyl and it's reason for existence.....That's ok. You can look back at other posts I've made about music formats and many times I will state how or on what format you listen to is not important, it's always about the music......Period. 

It seems nobody can discuss your posts without you getting all wound up that someone is picking on you....I have no idea if you are a good prog fan or a bad one, not even sure I know what that means.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 23:09
^ well, maybe it’s more the “me vs Mike” stance of your posts that rubs me the wrong way.

I did edit that post, but only to clarify my actual position. If you have the time, by all means read up on my past posts as well and you’ll see that I’m not against vinyls or cover art in general.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:25

My comment is a general comment about the use of streaming services, which is the main vehicle that most people use these days to listen to music. Back in the day we had something similar and it was called FM radio LOL
Hi,

I'm not sure that folks, today, can relate to the FM Radio experience of 50 years ago, specially in America. (Dave Cousins book take on the BBC attempts at killing it in England!). 

BEFORE the FM Radio stations, most of the music known was on 45's, or singles that were played on the AM stations ... and it took some movies and theater, and film, to blow out the idea ... and rock music followed, and did it better. FM Radio became the IT ... because the music was in STEREO, as opposed to the Mono state of the AM radio ... and this is something that folks here, today, that download and listen, can not relate to ... they can't even imagine the stuff they download in Mono ... and how the quality would probably drive their listening away!

One last thing about album covers....Some here will know what I mean when we as kids and teens walked into a record store and started flipping records and came across an album cover art that literally blew your mind, you gazed at it thinking that is so bitchin' and then you noticed that you had no idea what the music was or the artist....but we bought it anyway because of the cover. I have many of those instances that happened to me, and for the most part the music was enjoyable and I did not waste my money.

I, probably, think more about the covers, since they were advancing the abilities of the art behind a picture. The experiments into creating new things was phenomenal, and sadly, only the HIPGNOSIS books show and explain some of those things, but the sad thing was that the behemoth monsters that own the art scenes in NY, London, and Paris, would not let go of the onions and tomatoes for the kitchen (a la Warhol, of course!!!), for anything new ... and the sad thing? 50 years later a bunch of places have trashed the Roger Dean shows in America ... no appreciation for the art whatsoever, which is a really sad comment about ART and how it is taught in schools, and in some places, art is crap, not important!

To me, the album covers (make sure you get the Album Cover Book that is updated!!!), WERE the modern art, and it was beautiful and had more imagination than most of the art in the places mentioned above ... something that our generation still has not related to, or worked with/on. The big three on art are still showing the worst kind of crap, and not a single Hipgnosis cover. It makes the Hipgnosis special in the last shot with PO really sad, lonely and ... knowing that the appreciation for anything they did, was being wasted ... the worst feeling at the end of one's life! But, they have the pictures to prove the value and one day, it will be appreciated a lot more than it is right now ... downloading is fine ... but no one can relate any of those bands and downloads to an art form ... in fact, there is even no discussion about it whatsoever! Which, to me, takes away the "soul" of the artist ... and the little image that you can barely make out when you download it, is not even hitting you hard, just like you and I experienced.

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2024 at 04:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123