Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dissapointment in London...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 06:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ " Of course for many bands all of that is more than a marketing device, but it's still that as well"

Maybe read my post again?
Don't need to your post was clear enough....You can go edit it if you like.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 06:13
^ I quoted from my post, dude. I've always made clear that vinyls and/or cover art are not JUST a marketing device.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 11 2024 at 06:30
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 08:15
It's ok to talk from both sides of your mouth, no problem. But my opinion on buying digital media is your buying nothing.
If the internet disappears today, I can still play all my music without any interruption as well look at all the glorious brilliant artwork that was created for all my albums.......LOL

Edited by Catcher10 - April 11 2024 at 08:16
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 08:44
^ I have all my music available here as downloads. If the "internet disappears" today, I can still listen to it and look at the cover art, no problem. I don't see the point. If things break down to the point of there not being any electricity available, neither of us can play the music anymore. We both could still look at the cover art, as we both own vinyls, albeit you probably more than I do.

But of course this is all hypothetical, and the internet isn't likely to disappear any time soon ...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 09:17
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

It's ok to talk from both sides of your mouth, no problem.

Sorry, I still don’t get it. What did I say that was inconsistent?
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 12:06
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Quote Even though I'm a bit surprised by this turnout,
Surprised? Really? Second hand offers for anything (records, video games, musical instruments) are declining in quantity and increasing in prices like crazy recently. So that is for me the least surprising thing in the world. Nowadays, people don't want to get rid of old valuable stuff, especially if it's in good condition unless they're gonna make a fortune on selling it. It's not the mid 2000's anymore.

You'd actually be surprised by some of the progressive selections in the right stores these days. I mentioned earlier in this thread, but CD Trader and other various stores in LA are very impressive considering their pricing. Outside the US and London, the only other record stores I have been to were in Canada, which were VERY strong. I went to Beatnik records, and also a small record stand in Quebec city. These are the records I left with:
Steve Hackett- Defector
Triumvirat- Spartacus
Genesis- Spot the Pigeon EP
ELP- ELP
Yes- Drama

Canadian dollars are also a lot cheaper than USD so I got all of this for under $60. 

"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 12:32
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

You'd actually be surprised by some of the progressive selections in the right stores these days. I mentioned earlier in this thread, but CD Trader and other various stores in LA are very impressive considering their pricing. Outside the US and London, the only other record stores I have been to were in Canada, which were VERY strong. I went to Beatnik records, and also a small record stand in Quebec city. These are the records I left with:
Steve Hackett- Defector
Triumvirat- Spartacus
ELP- ELP
Yes- Drama

Canadian dollars are also a lot cheaper than USD so I got all of this for under $60. 

Hi,

I imagine that there is a lot more these days than before. Before it was concentrated much better, like Moby Disk was the place to go in the LA area, and so on. Today, with the international marketing and Bandcamp, things are different and the availability of music is much wider and you really do not have to take a trip to go get it.

The only thing that is tough, is that many of these are really slow in showing online what they have for sale, and perhaps that specifies to you and I that these things move so fast, that by the time someone lists it on the net, boom ... it's gone!

But I miss the places like Rasputin's ... it was far out and special, and something that not many of us has experienced, almost like Mike's listing of everything under the sun, and you have no idea where to start ... though I dislike the fact that too many of those things are nearly the same, and have the same sounds and features. At least, when I walked into Rasputin's, I knew immediately, thousands of different things and thousands of different genres, and while a bit much, it was still exciting to find things you loved in the middle of the ocean of cardboard and vinyl. You don't even come close to that feeling these days, and finding new stuff, completely unknown to you or anyone, is more of a joke than otherwise for folks that only talk numbers!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 12:41

Surprised? Really? Second hand offers for anything (records, video games, musical instruments) are declining in quantity and increasing in prices like crazy recently. So that is for me the least surprising thing in the world. Nowadays, people don't want to get rid of old valuable stuff, especially if it's in good condition unless they're gonna make a fortune on selling it. It's not the mid 2000's anymore.

Steve Hackett- Defector
Triumvirat- Spartacus
ELP- ELP
Yes- Drama

I guess you're fairly young or just now delving into prog , given what you're looking for or finding. It seems to me that this is the ABC of 70's prog in the OP or this last post. 
whether those were CD or vinyls, I'd never fork out 60.00 whatever of any money that much for such second-hand albums. None of these albums are rare either to fetch "prices".
I do think that vendors have accumulated dozens of copies of the same albums over the years for ridiculous prices, but avoid displaying them in their bins at the same time to keep prices up

As soon as you've left the store, the owner pulled other copies of those albums from their basement or cellar shelves to replace the ones you've left with.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 14:57
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

almost like Mike's listing of everything under the sun

?
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 17:49
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Steve Hackett- Defector
Triumvirat- Spartacus
ELP- ELP
Yes- Drama

I guess you're fairly young or just now delving into prog , given what you're looking for or finding. It seems to me that this is the ABC of 70's prog in the OP or this last post. 
whether those were CD or vinyls, I'd never fork out 60.00 whatever of any money that much for such second-hand albums. None of these albums are rare either to fetch "prices".
I do think that vendors have accumulated dozens of copies of the same albums over the years for ridiculous prices, but avoid displaying them in their bins at the same time to keep prices up

As soon as you've left the store, the owner pulled other copies of those albums from their basement or cellar shelves to replace the ones you've left with.

Although I'm pretty young, I'm an old head at hear when it comes to a lot of the music I like. I've been into Prog as my favorite genre for over 3 years at this point, and although I bought a lot of "ABC" records, that's only because my main vinyl collection up to that point didn't contain much classic prog at all (aside from pretty much every classic Genesis album). As for the prices, it was more like 45 CAD for the records (not CDs) listed above (plus one other non-prog record) which translate closer to 38 USD, which is a great deal whether you are buying in store or online. Though I do love my classics, I also definitely look for the more obscure rarities as well. In the prog community, bands like Triumvirat, Eloy, and UK (just to name a few) are cult classics but its very difficult to find their records in store near where I live. As much as I would love to order online shipping prices sometimes get expensive. 
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 22:40

It's ok to talk from both sides of your mouth, no problem. But my opinion on buying digital media is your buying nothing.
If the internet disappears today, I can still play all my music without any interruption as well look at all the glorious brilliant artwork that was created for all my albums.......LOL
I really don't want to get in the middle of this argument, but I would like to point out something. You don't need the Internet to play a music file you've already downloaded. That's the point of downloading. Sure, the device you're playing from can break, but so can a record- or CD-player. And discs can get scratched or broken as well. And files can get corrupted, etc. So the longevity of one medium over another is pretty superfluous to this discussion. If you're talking about streaming, that's a different story.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 23:45
Quote You don't need the Internet to play a music file you've already downloaded. That's the point of downloading.

This!
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 01:22
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I really don't want to get in the middle of this argument, but I would like to point out something. You don't need the Internet to play a music file you've already downloaded. That's the point of downloading. Sure, the device you're playing from can break, but so can a record- or CD-player. And discs can get scratched or broken as well. And files can get corrupted, etc. So the longevity of one medium over another is pretty superfluous to this discussion. If you're talking about streaming, that's a different story.

I am relying heavily on streaming services as well. My strategy, since I'm listening to a lot of new music, is to mostly use streaming services for first listens, and also repeated listens if I like a release. Then each month I will purchase some of my favorite releases. So if the internet broke down tomorrow, I would lose access to 90% of all the music I've ever listened to, but I'll still have the remaining 10% that I like best (about 1500 releases at the moment).

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - April 12 2024 at 01:23
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:13

Although I'm pretty young, I'm an old head at hear when it comes to a lot of the music I like. I've been into Prog as my favorite genre for over 3 years at this point, and although I bought a lot of "ABC" records, that's only because my main vinyl collection up to that point didn't contain much classic prog at all (aside from pretty much every classic Genesis album). As for the prices, it was more like 45 CAD for the records (not CDs) listed above (plus one other non-prog record) which translate closer to 38 USD, which is a great deal whether you are buying in store or online. Though I do love my classics, I also definitely look for the more obscure rarities as well. In the prog community, bands like Triumvirat, Eloy, and UK (just to name a few) are cult classics but its very difficult to find their records in store near where I live. As much as I would love to order online shipping prices sometimes get expensive. 

Ok, thanks for the precisions. I understand better your plight after a London trip, now. 
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 11:33

Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

I don't spend my bucks on old LPs, EPs, singles ...:-)

As much as I love streaming, there's nothing quite like spinning a vinyl Smile

I agree and nothing better than 12"inches covert-art
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:06
^ how about 65” cover art on an OLED tv screen?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:24
^ It doesn't smell as satisfying (nor feel, nor taste if one is into that).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:27
There's nothing like the smell of opening a PDF file the first time.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 12:29
^
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 14:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ It doesn't smell as satisfying (nor feel, nor taste if one is into that).

Exactly.......and you can't roll a doobie on a flat screen hanging on the wall.....duh!!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>