Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

future of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: future of prog
    Posted: April 11 2024 at 22:05
Sup. I'm noticing that the majority of progressive rock listeners now are old people, particulary those who had some exposure to prog in its glory days (1970s). But people are mortal. So, when all those people who were prog musicians/listeners in the 70s die, will the progressive rock genre become obsolete/forgotten? What do you think?

My prediction is that the classic 70's albums will drastically drop in exposure. Especially the more non-mainstream/obscure/challenging stuff like Gentle Giant, Le Orme, Camel, Gong, etc. This type of music is already dying and popular pretty much only among senior people.

Edited by Hrychu - April 11 2024 at 22:11
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 22:49
While agree that the 70-centricity will recede, I think the more challenging bands will remain popular in the community than the mellow ones. Many musician friends I know who came to prog through metal or jazz-metal really dig KC, Kansas, some Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and usually Yes. And when I show them Gentle Giant, they usually like that too. The symph and neo stuff, like Genesis (especially early), Camel, Renaissance, Marillion, etc. is often their blind spot. Probably because they want the heavy and not the light. That's just my experience.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2024 at 23:57
The future of prog is already here. It is much heavier than the prog bands of the 70s. And when us Olds (I'm 63) die, there won't be as many listening to ELP, Camel, Genesis, and similar bands.

Some may fare better than others, but I don't see Henry Cow or National Health getting played much.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:18
Quote Some may fare better than others, but I don't see Henry Cow or National Health getting played much.
I absolutely agree.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:31
I chat a lot on forums and live chat rooms, and the average age is about 25, and they all seem to listen to 70s prog. I think it's because most don't listen to the radio, and just check out whatever is on YouTube..
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:32
Well, based on what I see on RYM (which I use as a source for AP), in recent years the number of top rated progressive releases has gone up considerably, from about five pages of results (200 releases) per year around 2000 to more than 10 pages (400 releases) in recent years.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 03:47
People still listen to early classical music don’t they? Some of that is quite old isn’t it?!
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:52
How do you notice that the majority are older people?

For this topic to have anything meaningful you need statistics on demographics, not personal observations.

One reason for why the genre demographic would be heavier on the older side is the age of the genre. Prog emerged around 60 years ago and gathered a lot of fans at the time, many who still live to this day. Some decades down the line, that demographic will be gone and you may see a shift in the demographic.

A quick search found this: https://defectormusic.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/progressive-rock-demographics-2020/
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 04:55
Most of the music of the 70s will slowly be forgotten, that's correct. Most of it wasn't that good, just like most of what is being released today is not good, or at least not good enough to become a timeless classic. There are literally millions of releases on RYM. 99% of them are not worth listening to in comparison with the remaining 1% that are just so much better.

I think, also based on what I posted earlier about the popularity of new progressive releases rising on RYM, that the "future of prog" will be centered around new generations of artists and listeners. Having said that, there is/will continue to be a small nucleus of classic releases that will always be played, albums like DSOTM or CttE are just too good to fade away.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 05:52
I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writting classical music, jazz, blues, etc.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 06:32
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writing classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

Hi,

May I change this somewhat?

Very few folks start what they do because they wanted to write something, or paint something or play something. Most of them, eventually developed beyond a certain point, which showed a completely different quality from (let's say) a student.

Being young or old, is not exactly a requirement for an artist, although there is a lot that can be said for youth, and its tendency to reject the "rules" (so to speak), in the end, they end up becoming the folks that create a new set of "rules" ... and few of them are varied enough to continue being a rebel when they are in the 60's or 70's.

The main issue, is our ability to be able to find out who "has it" and "who doesn't" (and is just faking their way through it) ... and there are many ways .. some believe in numbers, and some don't. Some folks don't need the numbers and stand out ... for what they do, and you can always use someone like a Frank Zappa as a perfect example ... and they end up creating the numbers that no one believed in!

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... we still hear Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and so many others, because of that "magic" and we use it the same way for a lot of pop music, jazz music and other examples. That "magic" is hard to define since there is no specific definition to it, but somehow we look at it ... sort of like the bird brain woman that can see you in any spot in the room! 

To me, numbers, are for people that lack the beauty of the totality of the music ( in this example), because they are not going to listen, or rate anything else but the top 10 songs (so to speak) they like ... which in terms of "progressive music" is extremely regressive. But try to say that to a megalomaniac! They are just following the commercial/industrial mode of it all ... because, I suppose, they know about nothing else!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:05
What are these "numbers" that you keep talking about? Ratings? Record sales? House numbers? My social security number? Time signatures? The time of day?

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:31
^Maybe this?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:44
Or these numbers?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 07:50
Nah, he means these...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 08:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

To me, numbers, are for people that lack the beauty of the totality of the music ( in this example), because they are not going to listen, or rate anything else but the top 10 songs (so to speak) they like ... which in terms of "progressive music" is extremely regressive. But try to say that to a megalomaniac! They are just following the commercial/industrial mode of it all ... because, I suppose, they know about nothing else!

Who do you think this applies to? I have listened to 254 releases of 2023 (for example), and most of those were really low-profile artists, far from any "top 10" list. It seems ironic to me to say that "I'm not going to listen", if indeed this is meant to apply to me. 
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 09:46
The albums of the 70's have more than proven that they will stand the test of time. Nothing can destroy them. Quite the contrary, the Internet and YouTube have enormously helped and promoted them. 

The big decline has already taken place, in the 80's and 90's, when there was no way to promote the music. But the Internet fixed and changed all that permanently. 70's prog. availability and promotion is stronger now than ever, due to the universal availability of the Internet, and previously rare and out-of print music firmly available.

The music and technology have guaranteed permanence, and there is no reliance on age, memory, and word-of-mouth.

I thought the "future of prog." topic would deal with the changes in prog. since its glory days. There's an obvious lack in originality with new prog. compared to the original innovators who created everything from scratch. To me at least, the future of prog. won't be in new bands, but continuing to celebrate the originals of the 70's.

Edited by Boojieboy - April 12 2024 at 09:50
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:18
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writing classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... 

Yep.  Ya know it when you hear it. 
We can't hear it all though.
So much out there, that much of it just passes us by, and on into obscurity.

60 years of prog, you'd think every tree has been climbed. No?
I see hope for the future in avant-garde, krautrock and eclectic prog. But it's not really prog proper IS IT?
I personally don't care if it is or not, I'm glad this site represents all that's new and Magical and INTERESTING.

Prog Metal to a degree, for the younger bunch.

Edited by Valdez1 - April 12 2024 at 10:27
Snikle View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snikle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 10:21
I'm in my early 20s and love '70s prog, with any luck I'll be bopping to all those albums on their 100th anniversaries. I like newer prog too of course, my favorite band at the moment is Cardiacs from the 80s and 90s, and I also love Moon Safari, Needlepoint, Black Midi, Squid, Major Parkinson, and plenty others I'm not thinking of now. I love playing prog songs around friends of mine and seeing which ones they like/comment on. Some of them were very into Gong (Camembert Electrique and Acid Motherhood) and Crac by Area when I put them on during a road trip (these folks were already fans of proggy stuff like Black Midi, King Gizzard, Black Country New Road). Another one put some Cardiacs and "Cento Mani e Cento Occhi" into their liked songs to shuffle alongside modern pop. 

Edited by Snikle - April 12 2024 at 10:22
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:59
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

The albums of the 70's have more than proven that they will stand the test of time. Nothing can destroy them. Quite the contrary, the Internet and YouTube have enormously helped and promoted them. 

The big decline has already taken place, in the 80's and 90's, when there was no way to promote the music. But the Internet fixed and changed all that permanently. 70's prog. availability and promotion is stronger now than ever, due to the universal availability of the Internet, and previously rare and out-of print music firmly available.

The music and technology have guaranteed permanence, and there is no reliance on age, memory, and word-of-mouth.

I thought the "future of prog." topic would deal with the changes in prog. since its glory days. There's an obvious lack in originality with new prog. compared to the original innovators who created everything from scratch. To me at least, the future of prog. won't be in new bands, but continuing to celebrate the originals of the 70's.
What an uninformed opinion. Someone belongs on RegArchives (for regressive rock). If you're stuck listening to The Flower Kings, then sure, there is a lack in originality. But get beyond the bands aping the 70s and there's a wealth of originality in prog rock (and beyond just prog "rock") of the present.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>