Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

future of prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 23:27
^ Yes, especially last year (2023) was a really good year for prog, so many strong releases most of which not conforming to any rigid template. Clap
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 05:28
Prog just seems to bump on and on-there will always be people interested in challenging music. 

I view the classic material, including the best things coming out since the '70s, the way I view classical and Jazz. I routinely go back to music as early as the Elizabethan era because John Dowland was the original rock star. Much of my current exploration focuses on newer prog releases, classic Jazz, and filling in the blanks in my classic collection. Charlie Parker, Django Reinhardt, and Ornette Coleman are every bit as relevant today as they were when they were active. Popularity fades, but quality art has timeless durability. As long as quality music remains available, it will be explored by the adventurous.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 06:26
I’m currently learning to play Beethoven’s moonshine sonata. Seriously progressive stuff
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 07:35
The Elizabethan Era… I’ll have to check it out.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 07:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I’m currently learning to play Beethoven’s moonshine sonata. Seriously progressive stuff

Moonshine sonata?! LOL I don't know that one. Was Beethoven a bootlegger? LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 08:35
I just translated it from the German “Mondschein” … too literally. I stand corrected, it’s called the moonlight sonata.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 08:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I just translated it from the German “Mondschein” … too literally. I stand corrected, it’s called the moonlight sonata.

I wasn't trying to correct you, accidental humor is awesome. Thumbs Up
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 14:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I think that there always be artists who want to write good, challenging music, no matter what the genre, so Prog, it seems to me, will always continue to exist, if even in a very obscure, non popular way, just like we see some young composers writing classical music, jazz, blues, etc.

Hi,

May I change this somewhat?

Very few folks start what they do because they wanted to write something, or paint something or play something. Most of them, eventually developed beyond a certain point, which showed a completely different quality from (let's say) a student.

Being young or old, is not exactly a requirement for an artist, although there is a lot that can be said for youth, and its tendency to reject the "rules" (so to speak), in the end, they end up becoming the folks that create a new set of "rules" ... and few of them are varied enough to continue being a rebel when they are in the 60's or 70's.

The main issue, is our ability to be able to find out who "has it" and "who doesn't" (and is just faking their way through it) ... and there are many ways .. some believe in numbers, and some don't. Some folks don't need the numbers and stand out ... for what they do, and you can always use someone like a Frank Zappa as a perfect example ... and they end up creating the numbers that no one believed in!

In the end, there is some "magic" (gosh I hate using that word!!!) in the work that makes us come back to it, and enjoy it ... we still hear Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and so many others, because of that "magic" and we use it the same way for a lot of pop music, jazz music and other examples. That "magic" is hard to define since there is no specific definition to it, but somehow we look at it ... sort of like the bird brain woman that can see you in any spot in the room! 

To me, numbers, are for people that lack the beauty of the totality of the music ( in this example), because they are not going to listen, or rate anything else but the top 10 songs (so to speak) they like ... which in terms of "progressive music" is extremely regressive. But try to say that to a megalomaniac! They are just following the commercial/industrial mode of it all ... because, I suppose, they know about nothing else!

I like the term "Magic" you are using. That magic is what makes us play a song/album/symphony, etc. over and over again. That magic inspires other artists to continue pushing the envelope and coming up with new ideas/sounds/genres etc. That magic, that pure genius is what separates great music/artists, from the rest, and that's what keeps the wheel going around. That's the magic I'm sure will never disappear. 
Onslow View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Onslow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 14:59
This is a no brainer.

The future of prog is certainly secure. It continues swimmingly, thank-you.

Last I looked, there are two/three new prog BANDS popping up every day.
That says something.

Beats the heyday of prog in early seventies.

"Prog? What prog?" Onslow asked, disingenuously.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 16:30
To answer the OP's question I think prog will survive. Many of the so called "old" listeners have children who are fans and some even have grandchildren who are fans. Then there's probably a lot of younger people who discovered prog on their own who will keep prog going for who knows how long. If you look at the birthdays at the bottom of the forum page you will see that the prog fans on here are of many different ages. Id' say it's pretty spread out.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 13 2024 at 16:31
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

To answer the OP's question I think prog will survive. Many of the so called "old" listeners have children who are fans and some even have grandchildren who are fans. Then there's probably a lot of younger people who discovered prog on their own who will keep prog going for who knows how long. If you look at the birthdays at the bottom of the forum page you will see that the prog fans on here are of many different ages. Id' say it's pretty spread out.

Good time to say it, happy birthday!
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 18:31
With the dawn of people being able to make prog albums literally on their phones, I think it's a safe bet to say it's secure
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 03:40
The future of Prog will stop at my death, unless I can find a way to bring my iPhone up there and listen in a total spiritual world.
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

King Crimson776 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Crimson776 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 04:05
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

With the dawn of people being able to make prog albums literally on their phones, I think it's a safe bet to say it's secure

How many of those are going to be any good though?

We need young musicians who actually listen to classical music (as the great prog musicians of the 70's did) and understand what makes a coherent composition. Absent that, you get a lot of the technical w**kery and "avant-garde" nonsense that we hear in recent years. The musicians may be very skilled, but they have no compositional sense.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 04:09
^I totally agree... music needs a soul and spirit too which you will never get from whatever digital 'wizardry' you employ.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 07:51
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

^I totally agree... music needs a soul and spirit too which you will never get from whatever digital 'wizardry' you employ.

Hi,

Or from the copies, and supposedly inspired by someone or something. In the end, the "magic" comes from within, not without!

The only strange thing is that I have always thought that music was always "progressive", as if the Stravinsky's and other 20th century composers did not move from the more standardized stuff into more adventurous material, only for the "music" to go backwards with the C. Berry's and such ... and then in the 1970's we finally decided that the new stuff out there was progressive. In essence, they came back to something that all music had lost due to the commercial era that would only play the simplest of melodies and songs for the audience.

All in all, for me, it has always been progressive, and that is the reason why sometimes I do not review or discuss many works, which to me are not really special in the history of it all. The only saddest thing is when an artist goes "backwards" because of bizarre comments by reviewers ... and while I can understand the need for a dollar or two, in the end, I tend to wonder where the heart truly lies ... repeating itself, instead of maintaining an independent creativity.

Edited by moshkito - April 14 2024 at 07:56
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:34
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

The Elizabethan Era… I’ll have to check it out.

Dowland is definitely worth checking out-he’s one of Steve Howe’s major influences. Paul O’Dette is a lutenist who did a very elaborate rendition of his catalog on the Harmonia Mundi label. The Boston Consort does good renditions of the vocal works. 

Liner notes and other texts discuss the meaning of the lyrics (entertaining ribaldry) and recount Dowland’s antics in Elizabeth’s court and elsewhere, which nearly got him beheaded a few times. If he were alive today he’d probably be a metaller.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 14:52
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

We need young musicians who actually listen to classical music (as the great prog musicians of the 70's did) and understand what makes a coherent composition. Absent that, you get a lot of the technical w**kery and "avant-garde" nonsense that we hear in recent years. The musicians may be very skilled, but they have no compositional sense.

Maybe you haven't listened to the best releases? I agree that although for example 2023 was a magnificent year for prog, some many albums were (and are still being) released that it is more difficult to find the outstanding ones. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 17:56
Worry not, Grasshopper.... the future of prog will be secure with the youth.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2024 at 22:43
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

This take is nonsense as it assumes that many young musicians who play music in the prog sphere don't listen to classical (many do, and "classical" is a pretty wide umbrella genre), AND that one HAS to listen to it to make good prog (many don't and the music is just as good). So widen your scope, not only of what newer prog you listen to, but of what qualifies as "prog" or "good prog" or even "good" music. If you can't handle a little experimentalism and prefer more structure, or just prefer older recording/production techniques, then just admit that it comes down to your taste rather than lambast musicians of my generation with uninformed opinions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>