Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

In The Wake Of Poseidon. A Discussion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 04:06
^ Indeed. It's a gem.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 04:47
I don't believe Fripp had much forgiveness toward McDonald and Giles . I recall reading something in the 70s which described McDonald and Giles handing in their resignation while on tour and how Fripp's stomach dropped. Of course this is not to say that journalism never exaggerates either, but it is possible they destroyed his dream or his achievements up to that point.

On another note....Giles seemed quite disturbed about touring. The way in which Giles describes it being like the circus. Literally feeling as if you are caged up most of the time and let loose on a stage and quickly returned to the cage again to be part of the transport into yet another city....is quite the opposite of waking up in your home, making coffee and glancing out the window ...thinking and planning your day. Absolutely not! Being on the road is extreme and it is a redundancy as well. Perhaps Giles made a mistake by participating in the first place.

Possibly it was more comforting for him to take the train into London to do session work...making decent money..and returning to his home to relax. He was active with Jackson Heights I believe? And he certainly played some nice drum work on Anthony Phillips recordings.

On the cover of PROGRESS , ( his solo album)..is a photograph of him waiting for a train. Standing by the railroad tracks with his drum cases. It's an outstanding album musically and it has a kind of Canterbury style. A few members of Caravan are on the sessions. Several songs are lyrically attached to a storyline of a guy that takes the train into the city to do session work . It hints at that. A guy who enjoys living in the country or by the sea where children play and the images that the songs create in the lyricism are dreamy and far away from the image of being caged up and let loose to perform on a road tour. I don't think Fripp respected Giles decision to leave and probably resented him for it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 06:11
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I don't believe Fripp had much forgiveness toward McDonald and Giles . I recall reading something in the 70s which described McDonald and Giles handing in their resignation while on tour and how Fripp's stomach dropped. Of course this is not to say that journalism never exaggerates either, but it is possible they destroyed his dream or his achievements up to that point.

On another note....Giles seemed quite disturbed about touring. The way in which Giles describes it being like the circus. Literally feeling as if you are caged up most of the time and let loose on a stage and quickly returned to the cage again to be part of the transport into yet another city....is quite the opposite of waking up in your home, making coffee and glancing out the window ...thinking and planning your day. Absolutely not! Being on the road is extreme and it is a redundancy as well. Perhaps Giles made a mistake by participating in the first place.

Possibly it was more comforting for him to take the train into London to do session work...making decent money..and returning to his home to relax. He was active with Jackson Heights I believe? And he certainly played some nice drum work on Anthony Phillips recordings.

On the cover of PROGRESS , ( his solo album)..is a photograph of him waiting for a train. Standing by the railroad tracks with his drum cases. It's an outstanding album musically and it has a kind of Canterbury style. A few members of Caravan are on the sessions. Several songs are lyrically attached to a storyline of a guy that takes the train into the city to do session work . It hints at that. A guy who enjoys living in the country or by the sea where children play and the images that the songs create in the lyricism are dreamy and far away from the image of being caged up and let loose to perform on a road tour. I don't think Fripp respected Giles decision to leave and probably resented him for it.
More interesting info to ponder over. Adds a lot to the KC history.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 09:29
^ This type of petty contentious behavior is usually found in many straight up rock bands. But as Fripp has said of his last touring lineup, it was the first time that a band member didn't openly resent him. That's a lot of years to put up with that type of situation. The old boy must have some kind of thick skin.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2024 at 09:32
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 09:40
TBH, I thought Frippy had more class than to let that through the film montage and release it. 

It goes somewhat against the more joyous and happy-go-lucky image he's recently built-up via Toyah's more goofy approach to mass media 

The problem with that Rockumentary is that it seems set up as if the ultimate and final version of Crimso was the utmost and final (only) apex of the band's long career (as if Frippy knew it would last that long and it was all planned out).

There is also lengthy passages about Rieflin's last days and treated like he was some kind of hero, because he was genuinely Fripp's only friend in the band.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 10:25
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The problem with that Rockumentary is that it seems set up as if the ultimate and final version of Crimso was the utmost and final (only) apex of the band's long career

I never thought of it that way, but you are right. A KC Documentary featuring a lineup that had little to do with their heyday, save for Fripp, Hired gun Tony, and Mel...  But they did lend some time to a few older living bandmembers to be fair.
  Personally speaking, I consider Jakko a decent "Stand in" but that's just me. Gavin Harrison is fantastic and lives up to the KC "Aura", if you will. If anyone decides to carry it on any further, I'd hope to see him involved.  Pat is a very creative drummer who drummed in my least favorite lineup.  Bill and Jeremy... I Dunno. 

What aced this final edition of KC for me was Mel's contributions.  Bravo !  I bought these CDs mainly to hear him wail...  Brass and wind and piano made Lizard and Poseidon my favorites.

Edited by Valdez1 - April 16 2024 at 10:56
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 11:54
Originally posted by Valdez1 Valdez1 wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The problem with that Rockumentary is that it seems set up as if the ultimate and final version of Crimso was the utmost and final (only) apex of the band's long career

I never thought of it that way, but you are right. A KC Documentary featuring a lineup that had little to do with their heyday, save for Fripp, Hired gun Tony, and Mel...  But they did lend some time to a few older living bandmembers to be fair.
  Personally speaking, I consider Jakko a decent "Stand in" but that's just me. Gavin Harrison is fantastic and lives up to the KC "Aura", if you will. If anyone decides to carry it on any further, I'd hope to see him involved.  Pat is a very creative drummer who drummed in my least favorite lineup.  Bill and Jeremy... I Dunno. 

What aced this final edition of KC for me was Mel's contributions.  Bravo !  I bought these CDs mainly to hear him wail...  Brass and wind and piano made Lizard and Poseidon my favorites.

I never bothered with the doc for precisely that reason, but it seems that I missed a lot of drama.Embarrassed  

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2024 at 11:55
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 13:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Hi,

The KC film has some information on this, and Robert makes it clear that has regrets about how it happened.

As for the album, I don't know ... just heard it again, and did not find it to have the importance and the creative forces that were present in the first album ... my take is, sort of, that they had already said all there was to say about the time and the place, and now ... what do we do? A half hearted return to the original appeared as the opening and closing of the album. In between? Not sure it was as important and clear. 

I fell out of KC during this time, as the imports from Europe were better and more valuable all around, and were quite far and away more original and very strong. And its history ended up giving us TD, KS, Can, AD2 and many others ... whose legacy is amazing. 

I returned to KC with Lark's ... when Bill Bruford joined KC ... somehow I thought that would be interesting, and it was ... massive set of albums coming up! However, by that time, I was already invested in the European scene, and in general, only PF and KC remained in my plate, as Genesis was nice, but not as adventurous and strong as Banco, Ange, PFM and the Germans for me, in those days.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 13:53
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The KC film has some information on this, and Robert makes it clear that has regrets about how it happened.

As for the album, I don't know ... just heard it again, and did not find it to have the importance and the creative forces that were present in the first album ... my take is, sort of, that they had already said all there was to say about the time and the place, and now ... what do we do? A half hearted return to the original appeared as the opening and closing of the album. In between? Not sure it was as important and clear. 

I fell out of KC during this time, as the imports from Europe were better and more valuable all around, and were quite far and away more original and very strong. And its history ended up giving us TD, KS, Can, AD2 and many others ... whose legacy is amazing. 

I returned to KC with Lark's ... when Bill Bruford joined KC ... somehow I thought that would be interesting, and it was ... massive set of albums coming up! However, by that time, I was already invested in the European scene, and in general, only PF and KC remained in my plate, as Genesis was nice, but not as adventurous and strong as Banco, Ange, PFM and the Germans for me, in those days.
Fair enough. People sometimes move on.

Edited by SteveG - April 16 2024 at 13:54
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 16:57
There was always some strange sh*t going on between Lake and Fripp. They both grew up in the same town and had the same guitar teacher. Fripp claimed he only picked Lake for the KC line up because he was a good looking young man. Fripp later turned up at an ELP gig, tried to stay anonymous but Lake spotted him and asked to see him. Apparently there were more words and a big fall out. Yep those 2 were never going to be in the same band together for long. Lake could surely have not believed his good luck when Emerson approached him with the idea to form a new band.
As for ITWOP, Mike Giles is much better on it than on the debut and it kicks some serious ass (side one at least). However Cat Food is not my ..um.. cup of tea but it's a fun track that Lake kinda of took into ELP (idea wise anyway). The Devils Triangle is pretty bad, possibly the worst KC track ever and badly damages the album. Otherwise it would be one of their best IMO.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 18:49
I'll give the edge to court over this one but on the other hand I'll take the Devil's Triangle over Moonchild any day.

Regarding TDT, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I defy anyone to find a prog track that has mellotrons blaring out the speakers like that one. The so called "noise" is actually (imo) musical deconstruction. That took me a while to get into but there's really nothing like it and if it is improv then I like it better than some of their other improv pieces.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 16 2024 at 18:53
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 21:00
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'll give the edge to court over this one but on the other hand I'll take the Devil's Triangle over Moonchild any day.

Regarding TDT, I didn't like it at first but it grew on me. I defy anyone to find a prog track that has mellotrons blaring out the speakers like that one. The so called "noise" is actually (imo) musical deconstruction. That took me a while to get into but there's really nothing like it and if it is improv then I like it better than some of their other improv pieces.
"The Devil's Triangle" was originally supposed to be a cover of Gustav Holst's "Mars" suite that King Crimson used to play live, but because of a copyright issue at the time, they ended up making that track. It's actually a great creepy three-part epic that sounds unlike anything that has ever been recorded before, with a brief extension of the "Peace" theme towards the album's conclusion. Also, one can hear a little of "The Court of the Crimson King" near the end, and it fits the haunting atmosphere beautifully; not to mention that King Crimson sampling themselves before sampling was a very wonderful thing. 
And yes, Keith Tippett's piano playing, Michael Giles' drumming, and even Fripp's classical guitar portion in the last seconds of the suite give me chills. Just amazing.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 21:13
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

"The Devil's Triangle" was originally supposed to be a cover of Gustav Holst's "Mars" suite that King Crimson used to play live, but because of a copyright issue at the time, they ended up making that track. It's actually a great creepy three-part epic that sounds unlike anything that has ever been recorded before, with a brief extension of the "Peace" theme towards the album's conclusion. Also, one can hear a little of "The Court of the Crimson King" near the end, and it fits the haunting atmosphere beautifully; not to mention that King Crimson sampling themselves before sampling was a very wonderful thing. 
And yes, Keith Tippett's piano playing, Michael Giles' drumming, and even Fripp's classical guitar portion in the last seconds of the suite give me chills. Just amazing.

Right. It's actually not the first example of someone sampling themselves. Simon and Garfunkel did it two years earlier on their Bookends album. Not sure if KC got the idea from them though. Anyway, yes it does fit the eerie tone of that track. I can understand some people not liking it the same way some people don't like revolution 9. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 16 2024 at 21:14
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 03:45

Des larmes de crocodile, IMHO
And yet he assassinates 

if anyone regrets, it's Ian who tearfully apologizes (OK, the man was almost on his dying bed at the time and is not with us anymore), but Michael certainly wasn't allowed to speak his mind (or at least not included in the montage).

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

There was always some strange sh*t going on between Lake and Fripp. They both grew up in the same town and had the same guitar teacher. Fripp claimed he only picked Lake for the KC line up because he was a good looking young man. Fripp later turned up at an ELP gig, tried to stay anonymous but Lake spotted him and asked to see him. Apparently there were more words and a big fall out. Yep those 2 were never going to be in the same band together for long. Lake could surely have not believed his good luck when Emerson approached him with the idea to form a new band.
As for ITWOP, Mike Giles is much better on it than on the debut and it kicks some serious ass (side one at least). However Cat Food is not my ..um.. cup of tea but it's a fun track that Lake kinda of took into ELP (idea wise anyway). The Devils Triangle is pretty bad, possibly the worst KC track ever and badly damages the album. Otherwise it would be one of their best IMO.

I thought he went to school with John Wetton, the next singing bassist. Didn't know (or forgot) for Lake. 
Agreed with Cat Food being more ELP-esque than a full Crimson-colored song, too. 

Yes, the Mars "hidden cover" is certainly a bit cringe-inducing as a physical means of protecting my eardrums from it. I exaggerate Clown, of course, cos it's not that bad, but I'm sure they could've brought something else from their live sets rather than this one.

Thanks to Svetonio for the additional info on Devil's Martian Triangle. 

Fair enough, though I do think if Moonchild had developed into a normal song (define normal in a crimson frame of mind, though) instead of this quagmire jam, we'd probably love it as much as the rest of the album.

I'll relisten tonight the TDT track to see if I can see anything "improvised". 

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:27
I think it's a good album, but I have listened to it much less than to Court, Lizard, or many later works. The similarity with Court is indeed striking, and Court was so original and groundbreaking that some may have been disappointed that they made such a similar album after it. But that shouldn't really take away from its quality. 

It's maybe a bit like Discipline and Beat - Discipline was a groundbreaking and super fresh album, Beat was more exploration of the same territory, and therefore a disappointment to some. I think Beat is great and Wake very good, but these two clearly don't have the rank of Court or Discipline (or Lizard for that matter). That said, the previous albums opened such a big territory that there was for sure enough space to be explored by another album or more, so I'm positive on these anyway. 

By the way, we can't really assess the personal relationships from the outside, but Mr Fripp himself surely hasn't always been Mr Nice Guy...

Edited by Lewian - April 17 2024 at 04:28
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 04:41

Hi,

Fair enough. People sometimes move on.

Hi,

I moved on, because the English scene became boring and smelly. And many of the bands did not have any idea of how to do a 2nd album, after a successful 1st, which made me think that the record company was the problem putting on the pressure, which might have killed a few things ... like, the new album had to have a loud composition with the mellotron ... and the like! And I think this adds pressure to what to say, and sometimes, it ends up being a 2nd rate affair. 

I don't think this album stands up well to the first one, which is a documentary and bunch of snapshots of the time and place, complete with folks not listening, or giving a damn (I Talk to the Wind), all the way to the corruption of the child (Moonchild -- kinda taken off the AC novel) as the image of the corruption of the "hippie" girl, specially as seen with flowers in the hair ... so, we can look at another example, in the early film by The Incredible String Band, how folks laughed it all off as stupid and just stoned stuff. Because of the dope idea, there was no connection to the artistic form of the poetry Mike and Robin were doing. I guess the girls were just commodities for them ... sickening, considering how the ladies added so much to the music of the ISB.

Edited by moshkito - April 17 2024 at 04:41
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 16:19
In The Wake Of Poseidon is the perfect companion to the debut King Crimson album.... I feel that those two are the band's greatest records.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 16:55

Hi,

I moved on, because the English scene became boring and smelly. And many of the bands did not have any idea of how to do a 2nd album, after a successful 1st, which made me think that the record company was the problem putting on the pressure, which might have killed a few things ... like, the new album had to have a loud composition with the mellotron ... and the like! And I think this adds pressure to what to say, and sometimes, it ends up being a 2nd rate affair. 

I don't think this album stands up well to the first one, which is a documentary and bunch of snapshots of the time and place, complete with folks not listening, or giving a damn (I Talk to the Wind), all the way to the corruption of the child (Moonchild -- kinda taken off the AC novel) as the image of the corruption of the "hippie" girl, specially as seen with flowers in the hair ... so, we can look at another example, in the early film by The Incredible String Band, how folks laughed it all off as stupid and just stoned stuff. Because of the dope idea, there was no connection to the artistic form of the poetry Mike and Robin were doing. I guess the girls were just commodities for them ... sickening, considering how the ladies added so much to the music of the ISB.

I think I'm not alone in disagreeing that prog turned putrid, Mosh. Just looking at how KC expanded their approach and style with Lizard and Larks' Tongues In Aspic pretty much puts waste to that notion.

Edited by SteveG - April 17 2024 at 16:58
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 17:06
Classic. I don’t listen to the first album much. This is better
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 20:22

Prompted by Paul's 5 KC song thread, I've always felt that the album, while not as strong as it's predecessor, has many many positives, such the stunning title track, Keith Tippet's jazzy piano on many songs, and the fact that the band carried on after losing two key members. Your thoughts.
Dang Steve!!! Clap Thanks for this post, I can't remember the last time I spun this record and will for sure add to the Friday night play list once my work day ends.
It's not my fav KC album, but for sure it is a trippy listen.....Luv me some Cat Food.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>