Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What prog band did you recently discover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 08:11
Yokono is a four-piece instrumental experimental rock band from Belgrade (Serbia).
Since its beginning in 2011, the band has been interested in true sound through live studio recording sessions, which has altogether affected the improvement of the band's music fashion as well as its approach to live exhibitions.
I just recently discovered Yokono, thanks to Svetonio from the Steve Hoffman forum. His instructive topic, "Ambient Rock Appreciation Thread," is actually where I dig this rather good Serbian underground group.
Here are two instrumentals taken from their debut album, "Bigz Live Studio Sessions," which was recorded in Bigz and released on Bandcamp in December 2018. 
There is a story behind it. Bigz was a government-owned but abandoned printing house and has served for years as a unique alternative cultural centre in downtown Belgrade, located in an originally beautiful Bauhaus-designed building built before World War II (see picture).

The recordings were made there. Many young Belgrade's bands practiced there, some very good recording analogue studios were there owned by enthusiasts, and many visual artists had their studios in the Bigz as well; it was something like a hippy commune, hence Bigz even brought a so-called New Belgrade scene of experimental rock, but the investment-urbanism-oriented mayor kicked them all out and sold the building to some private clinic from abroad, which will most likely tear it down and build more of a mockery of glass and steel.

However, the recordings and videos from Bigz, like these, will remain. Yokono stuff is available on Bandcamp, and I highly recommend it.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:03
Some newer bands:

Nospun (traditional prog metal)
Squeaky Feet
The Twenty Committee
The Foundation
Z Machine
K'Mono
Regna 
The Chronicles of Father Robin

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2024 at 13:09
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:01
In recent years my best discovery was Catherine Ribiero + Alpes... their albums never made it to the UK back in the 70's so they had passed me by till just a few years ago.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 07:42
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Thanks to Scot of 'The Prog Corner'. Smile

Reissue Of Mirthrandir – For You The Old Women - Progressive Rock Music  Forum

This makes my day!!!
The Prog Corner
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 09:56
September- A Yugoslavian prog band from the 70's with two killer albums
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:28
UK band The Bardic Depths. Only 3 albums so far and they've only been around a short time. They released their debut in March 2020 just as the pandemic was hitting hard but have continued on to their credit. The recent album 'What We Really Like in Stories' is a nice tightly written piece featuring Peter Jones and front man David Bandana. For fans of Big Big Train and The Tangent I would suggest.

Edited by richardh - April 25 2024 at 22:28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12