Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eight post-1990 "Love" songs by bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Choose a favoured or least disliked song from the list.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [26.67%]
7 [46.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.67%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eight post-1990 "Love" songs by bands
    Posted: April 17 2024 at 12:21
Quite by accident I came across this Jethro Tull song today (I had heard it before), which did make me think of a much liked by me Swans song, and then I thought I might do a bunch of songs by bands in PA with the exact word "Love" in the title that were released in 1990 or later in order to prolong my procrastination.

The Flower Kings - All I Need Is Love

Jethro Tull - This Is Not Love

Marillion - Hard as Love

Radiohead - True Love Waits

Rush - The Speed of Love

Spock's Beard - Is This Love

Swans - Love Will Save You

Yes - Love Shine

Feel free to mention any other songs (has lyrics) with the word "Love" in the title provided that it is in PA, from a band, and came out post 1990. But then I still ask to please try to comment on any of the choices.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 12:25
Marillion - Hard as Love
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 13:02
I think it's an incredibly odd choice for a Flower Kings song with the word "Love" in the title! xD Especially since it's from an era long long after their glory days. B) Here are much better picks IMHO:
‣Love is the Word
‣Love Supreme
‣Love is the Only Answer
‣For the Love of Gold
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 13:23
^ Partially lack of familiarity on my part with The Flower Kings, and that I have checked out their more recent albums in recent years. That said, I had heard "For the Love of Gold" before. Since it's a playlist idea despite using individual embedded videos, I don't want to go for long ones and I want ones that are more song-oriented and more typical lyrically of love songs than instrumental.

Love is the Only Answer: too long.
Love is the Word: short, but feels more like an instrumental than a song.
Love Supreme: too long.
For the Love of Gold. Length is okay, but lyrically I don't think it works as well with the others as a song about love.

I do feel that The Flower Kings one I chose works best with the others. Even though I did not do this as a playlist, I usually try to create a feel with my playlists and choose songs that I think work with others when listening to all rather than just thinking about the individual song. That's my take even if your choices are better songs.

Edited by Logan - April 17 2024 at 13:28
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 13:31
I see. I guess I'll vote for Spock's Beard, cause even though it's kind of an oddball SB song in terms of the mood, composition and lower-than-ususal complexity, Nick D'Virgilio's wonderful vocal performance sells it anyway. If Neal or Ted had sung it, I wouldn't pick it. ;D BTW: check out my Flower Kings "Love" songs poll.
https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132843
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 13:35
^ Glad you did that poll. I would want to play some of the long ones in full before voting. By the way, Space Revolver was one of the first albums I bought in the 2000s when hoping to explore more contemporary Prog music.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 13:53
Rush, then Tull.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 14:16
Marillion, then the Tulls.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 14:16
^ Speaking of Tull's "This Is Not Love", yes wrong time (too early) and categorisation, but I actually prefer PiL's "This Is Not a Love Song".

Sorry for the pretty irrelevant and Rotten comment.
Magog2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magog2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 19:17
Marillion - Hard as Love
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 05:56
This is not Love, by Jethro Tull.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 06:14
Marillion
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2024 at 06:37
Swans - Love Will Save You Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply