Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Closing in on New Milestone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd Closing in on New Milestone
    Posted: April 19 2024 at 10:04
According to Forbes magazine, Dark Side of the Moon has re-entered the Billboard 200 charts at the number 154 position. It has now (as of April 18, 2024) occupied a position on the top 200 chart for 989 weeks. If it hangs in there for 11 more weeks, it will be the first album to have charted for 1000 weeks. The next nearest competitor is Legend by Bob Marley and the Wailers at 830 weeks, but it's unlikely to ever catch up to DSOTM. Apparently, the recent eclipse has renewed interest in the album.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2024/04/18/pink-floyds-dark-side-of-the-moon-is-inching-closer-to-a-historic-milestone/?sh=efdfea16212a

Edited by wiz_d_kidd - April 19 2024 at 10:06
“I don’t like country music, but I don’t mean to denigrate those who do. And for those who like country music, denigrate means to ‘put down.'” – Bob Newhart
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 10:24
An astounding fact, and thanks for sharing.

It is, of course, a classic, one of those albums which captured the zeitgeist not merely of its time, but for subsequent generations. What a shame it all ended in sheer hatred with three of the protagonists.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 15:12
Thanks for posting, I saw that report yesterday and was thinking how epic that album has become in the world of music. It is the cornerstone of rock music and several different genres of rock music.

Bottom line is it continues to sell and remains, what looks to be, a permanent fixture among all music store shelves and bins. The pressing of CDs and records of this album does not look to end anytime soon, probably not in any of our lifetimes......Do you think it ever will??
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 15:29
It's an album that is ever trending. It appeals across generations, across nationalities, across communities.

It has a much broader appeal than, for instance, John Wayne's America, Why I Love Her album, to choose another representative from 1973.

And the cover art is way cooler, imo. That is an album where the iconic cover art I think has been very significant to its success (I mean the Pink Floyd album, not the John Wayne album).

Edited by Logan - April 19 2024 at 15:32
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 15:52
When will Close to the Edge enter the charts again? Tongue
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 16:53
DSOTM probably would have already been way, way over 1,000 weeks by now if it were not for a rule change back in 1991 that barred "catalog albums" (i.e. older albums) from being in the Billboard 200 chart. That rule lasted until 2009 when the album again returned to the Billboard 200 chart.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 16:54
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Most likely when flat-earthers actually start falling off the side of the world. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 17:09
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Most likely when flat-earthers actually start falling off the side of the world. 

...there is a world??
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 18:09
The Earth is oval.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2024 at 18:19
The earth is a donut hole....
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:03
The fact that Bob Marley is second and not Thriller or The Eagles Greatest Hits is a way more interesting fact to me. I watched an Andy Edwards video yesterday where he put up Pink Floyd v Kraftwerk in a slightly tongue in cheek contest and somehow came out with a draw. However he did repeat the mantra that Alan Parson's production was groundbreaking. I like the album but it's the songs and the concept that makes it interesting for me. Also the album artwork was genius at a time when artwork was a vital ingredient of any self respecting prog masterpiece.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 01:12
Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime' is the best selling physical single after Bing Crosby ['White Christmas'] and Elton John ['Candle in the Wind'].   Who knew.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 02:52
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The Earth is oval.

No, it's an oblate spheroid.Big smile
Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 05:47
DSOTM is phenomenal. Probably their most profound and also musically intricate album (as far as the post-Syd era is concerned). There is a lot of influence from blues to soul and even a bit of jazz, not mentioning electronic music. Not even Animals has this level of depth.

I always found WYWH a bit bland, even boring (don't kill me). Maybe The Wall would top DSOTM in terms of experimentalism though I think it drags on for a bit too much and is maybe a tad pretentious? Of course, I'm not denying the quality of Comfortably Numb or Mother which I think are one of the best songs in the history of music.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2024 at 08:02
I'm happy that an album by a prog band is on te top, even tough a chart like Billboard focuses on album sales, not on the quality of it's music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 11:34
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Mungo Jerry's 'In the Summertime' is the best selling physical single after Bing Crosby ['White Christmas'] and Elton John ['Candle in the Wind'].   Who knew.

According to the RIAA, "In the Summertime" only went gold. Maybe you are in the UK or something where it sold more. It kind of reminds me of how Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells apparently sold 20 million or so copies worldwide but in the US it has only been certified gold (ITCOTCK only went gold too but I doubt it has sold that many worldwide or even close to that).
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 11:55
^ No I don't think so. It sold over thirty-million.   That's into Diamond territory.   'Thriller' sold 30 mill.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 12:34
Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

I always found WYWH a bit bland, even boring (don't kill me).
What? Turn in your prog badge and gun!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
PrograhamLincoln View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrograhamLincoln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 22:12
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

DSOTM probably would have already been way, way over 1,000 weeks by now if it were not for a rule change back in 1991 that barred "catalog albums" (i.e. older albums) from being in the Billboard 200 chart. That rule lasted until 2009 when the album again returned to the Billboard 200 chart.

Geeze, did they have a cutoff year?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2024 at 23:11
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ No I don't think so. It sold over thirty-million.   That's into Diamond territory.   'Thriller' sold 30 mill.

I'm just telling you what it says on the RIAA website. Yeah, I noticed that wikipedia says what you say but I personally still find that somewhat hard to believe (sue me). No, I'm not saying it's not true just that it's not something I would have guessed if I didn't see it for myself. Plus it's only a single regardless. Thriller was a single plus an album.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 21 2024 at 23:16
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>