Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progiest non-prog album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:00
It's very little known that at over 6 feet tall, Tiny Tim was the tallest midget who played a midget-sized guitar (but not really small for a ukulele).
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:04
I'd suggest 'A New World Record' by ELO, 'Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin, and both 'The Original Soundtrack' and 'How Dare You' by 10cc being three of the proggiest favourite albums in my collection without being full blown prog. Tho as has been mentioned it's all a bit of a moveable feast.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 16:51
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Tubeway Army - Replicas
Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Public Image Limited - Album
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Mansun - Six
Radiohead - OK Computer
Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 16:58
Great topic. Maybe Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage by Black Sabbath. Also, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son although I haven't theard it in a while. And although this is kind of cheating I'll say any Rush album from Signals to Hold Your Fire. Those are very proggy without being full on prog rock imo. Another one is Out of Time by REM but probably nothing else by them. I'll have to think about this some more and maybe I'll come up with some others later. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:02
Originally posted by Floydoid Floydoid wrote:

I'd suggest 'A New World Record' by ELO, 'Houses of the Holy by Led Zeppelin, and both 'The Original Soundtrack' and 'How Dare You' by 10cc being three of the proggiest favourite albums in my collection without being full blown prog. Tho as has been mentioned it's all a bit of a moveable feast.

Led Zeppelin have several proggy tracks but imo don't really have one full on "proggy" album. PG probably comes the closest though or maybe Houses of the Holy.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:09
Alice Cooper - Killer. Halo of Flies, Desperado, Dead Babies, Killer. Progesque.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:17
Tombstone Remixes by The Living Tombstone was created around the time Yoav was heavily influenced by rock and prog. It's his least EDM sounding effort and the one with the most prog tropes in it. Winter and Luna are orbiting dangerously close to the 'crossover prog' area. B)

Edited by Hrychu - April 24 2024 at 17:18
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:17
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

If song cycles, segues, and sound effects connecting songs is one's idea of prog (being reared on Floyd, it is for me!), then this first album by Joe Walsh is one I always adored (especially side 1's song cycle):

On that note:

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 23:45
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Alice Cooper - Killer. Halo of Flies, Desperado, Dead Babies, Killer. Progesque.

YES!!  Great suggestion!!  I've long thought the same thing!  

“Halo of Flies” was, according to Cooper’s liner notes in the compilation The Definitive Alice Cooper, an attempt by the band to prove that they could perform King Crimson-like progressive rock suites, and was supposedly about a SMERSH-like organisation.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 00:58
The Steve Miller Band's 1968 album "Children of the Future" was recorded at Olympic Studios in London under the direction of legendary English producer Glyn Johns. With a hint of Summer of Love psychedelia mixed with West Coast sound, Side One was mysteriously veiled in the hazy artistry of the British progressive rock ethic. 
The first track is the title tune. It's bluesy, exploratory, and has elements of folk-rock, yet it also fits in nicely with the progressive music era. The title track's keys and swirls give way to "Pushed Me Through It" and the mellotron-driven prog-rock song "In My First Mind," which flow into the epic, hazy, lazy, organ-infused "The Beauty of Time Is That It's Snowing," which fluctuates in unexpected ways. Side One of the "Children of the Future" LP, which is listened to as one suite, is one of the best works that the Steve Miller Band has ever done and is one of the best examples of early progressive rock.

The music on Side Two is more in line with "normal" blues-rock music. However, it is just as delicious as side one. To kick things off, we have my all-time favourite Boz Scaggs song, "Baby's Callin' Me Home," with its majestic acoustic guitar and harpsichords. "Steppin' Stone" features strong rock music from the 1960s, while "Roll With It" is another rock song about life on the road, including sharp guitars, a swaying organ, and Steve singing from a very high place. "Junior Saw It Happen" is the most vibrant of the final three songs. Ben Sidran's harpsichord performance on "Baby’s Callin’ Me Home" is peculiar, but Miller's mouth harp on "Key to the Highway" is fairly awesome.

I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 01:07
^^ I've wondered why Alice Cooper isn't here under Prog Related. In addition to the hard rock, Alice Cooper's music also has a theatrical bent, such as Years Ago / Steven from Welcome to My Nightmare.

Edited by I prophesy disaster - April 25 2024 at 01:08
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 02:31
One of the first bands ever to present their music as a seamless flow of sounds rather than a collection of individual pieces was The Electric Flag on their first studio record. This sounds proggy, doesn't it?

Well, released in April 1967, "The Trip: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" is, due to its structure and the year it was released, certainly a progressive music effort, yet in an American way. Consisting of 18 tracks, the album features an eclectic variety of musical styles, from epic scores ("Peter's Trip") to acoustic wanderings ("Joint Passing"), odd circus-like music ("The Other Ed Norton"), pliable floating substance exhibiting hallucinogenic effects ("M-23"), wild saxophone solos set to furious jazz rhythms ("Peter Gets Off"), electric-violin mood swings ("Synesthesia"), fluid fringe (as in "Flash, Bam, Pow "), trippy states that limp ("A Little Head"), reeling welters ("Fewghh"), a fierce improvisation of blues-rock ("Gettin' Hard), but once the mists lift, we're treated to breezy horn -based tunes ("Green and Gold"), and a wild seven-minute jam called "Fine Jung Thing" as well.

Moreover, "The Trip" is among the first rock records to use the Moog synthesiser, brought by electronic music pioneer Paul Beaver.

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 07:39
Quadrophenia?
The Prog Corner
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 10:02
Styx- Grand Illusion
Boston- Boston
Supertramp- Even in the Quietest Moments
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 10:24
The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" (1966) is regarded as a progressive album in large part due to its avant-garde production methods. The album's inspiration and driving force, Brian Wilson, pioneered experimental techniques in music production. Pop, jazz, classical, and avant-garde elements were all combined into the record to create a distinctive and sophisticated sound that went beyond the bounds of conventional popular music. 
At the time, standard pop and rock music lacked the intricate orchestration and instrumentation found in "Pet Sounds." Wilson gave the songs additional levels of texture and depth by using unusual instruments like soda cans, flutes, French horns, bicycle bells, and electro-theremin. The elaborate vocal arrangements and harmonies demonstrated a degree of musical intricacy that has never before been heard in mainstream music. 
The narrative arc and intellectual coherence of "Pet Sounds" are two other elements that distinguish the album as progressive. In contrast to traditional albums, which were merely collections of single songs, "Pet Sounds" was intended to be a single, seamless piece of art in which each song added to the overall theme. The songs on the album flowed together harmoniously, telling a narrative and evoking distinct feelings all at once. This was achieved through the connections between the songs' melodies and lyrics. 
Overall, "Pet Sounds" is a breathtakingly beautiful album. The tunes resemble hymns in their purity and spirituality. For the period, the instrumentation was crazy, the density was novel, and the harmonies were astounding. It may seem uninteresting in comparison to other musical eras, but that's only because it was so influential and widely imitated that it defined popular music for the following decades. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 12:05
Originally posted by AJ Junior AJ Junior wrote:

Styx- Grand Illusion
Boston- Boston
Supertramp- Even in the Quietest Moments

I don't see how Supertramp aren't prog. They are even on this site as crossover prog. That album even has the very much prog "fool's overture." There's even a case for Styx who are also on here but as prog related. Boston maybe not so much but even that first album has it's moments. Maybe semi prog should be a thing but again you'd have to have a pretty snobby attitidue about what is and what isn't prog to not consider Supertramp to be some kind of prog imo.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 12:28
Originally posted by aFlowerKingCrimson aFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't see how Supertramp aren't prog. They are even on this site as crossover prog.
I get a feeling that the Progarchives label quite often influences how people judge if a band/album is "legit" prog or "proggy non-prog".
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 13:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't see how Supertramp aren't prog. They are even on this site as crossover prog. That album even has the very much prog "fool's overture." There's even a case for Styx who are also on here but as prog related. Boston maybe not so much but even that first album has it's moments. Maybe semi prog should be a thing but again you'd have to have a pretty snobby attitidue about what is and what isn't prog to not consider Supertramp to be some kind of prog imo.

Apart from the instrumental prelude "Foreplay," Boston's debut (and everything else they made) is firmly AOR. Tom Scholz tends to adhere to a rigidly verse-chorus-verse format, so their inclusion on this site would be suspect.

OTOH, early Styx is quite proggy.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 14:22
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Apart from the instrumental prelude "Foreplay," Boston's debut (and everything else they made) is firmly AOR. Tom Scholz tends to adhere to a rigidly verse-chorus-verse format, so their inclusion on this site would be suspect.

OTOH, early Styx is quite proggy.

Smoking is rather Deep Purplish with it's long instrumental part with organ so to me that's rather proggy also.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 17:06
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

^^ I've wondered why Alice Cooper isn't here under Prog Related. In addition to the hard rock, Alice Cooper's music also has a theatrical bent, such as Years Ago / Steven from Welcome to My Nightmare.
The Coop's proggy nature can be seen much earlier. I already mentioned the album Killer, but you can hear the band's prog-leanings on several songs from both Love It to Death and School's Out. I'd mention Easy Action, but I think their longer songs on that album were more acid rock/psychedelia.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>