Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progiest non-prog album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 17:08
How about Lonesome Crow from the Scorpions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxotPAO7mZ0

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 18:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

^^ I've wondered why Alice Cooper isn't here under Prog Related. In addition to the hard rock, Alice Cooper's music also has a theatrical bent, such as Years Ago / Steven from Welcome to My Nightmare.
The Coop's proggy nature can be seen much earlier. I already mentioned the album Killer, but you can hear the band's prog-leanings on several songs from both Love It to Death and School's Out. I'd mention Easy Action, but I think their longer songs on that album were more acid rock/psychedelia.

Oh yes, Alice Cooper's proggy nature can be heard on School's Out and Billion Dollar Babies, two other albums that I have. I wonder if anyone has ever considered Alice Cooper for inclusion on this site.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 19:53
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Originally posted by aFlowerKingCrimson aFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't see how Supertramp aren't prog. They are even on this site as crossover prog.
I get a feeling that the Progarchives label quite often influences how people judge if a band/album is "legit" prog or "proggy non-prog".

That might be wishful thinking on your part. Progarchives labels them prog because it's a label that fits not because they are trying to shoehorn them in some place they really don't belong (which could be the case with some artists on here such as Tori Amos). But it's not just PA that considers Supertramp to be prog. Allmusic, rate your music and Wikipedia all have them tagged as prog. Maybe where the confusion comes in is that their music falls under other genres (subgenres) as well unlike say King Crimson who are pretty much just progressive rock and not much else.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 25 2024 at 21:19
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:19
Supertamp have a prog album and then after that a few proggy moments like Fools Overture, Child Of Vision and Cannonball (those I am aware of anyway) but that's it in terms of any meaningful discussion. Calling them a prog band on the basis of one album is like calling Queen a prog band on the basis of one album IMO. (both are cool bands of course, the 'prog' label is a double edged sword anyway that many bands would rather estue given the chance)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:40
Supertramp are more of a prog band than Led Zeppelin. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 23:10
^ I don't agree. LZ were a much more fluid band stylistically and along woth Sabbath and Purple were progressive just not 'prog'. Supertramp are more a pop band like 10CC that had little or nothing to do with prog in it's original form.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 00:17
I agree that Supertramp was "more of a prog band" than LZ, however "more prog" doesn't equal better. At the end of the day, I'd say Led Zeppelin was overall a superior band quality-wise.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 00:28
Released in April 1968, the Zombies' album "Odessey and Oracle" is a mellotron-drenched masterpiece that has an early progressive music feel. As its cover art suggests, "Odessey and Oracle" is usually considered a psychedelic pop album. However, its intricate arrangements and fancy instrumentation were close to progressive music; the album is like an incredibly progressive statement from a band that was sadly short-lived but was ahead of its time.
"Odessey & Oracle" is a brilliant and underappreciated record that broadened listeners' perspectives through audacious song structures and broader tonal palettes. The songs are based on the band's distinct sound and concise composition, which features well-written vocal melodies, daring chord changes, and winding resolutions enhanced by heavenly strings and wonderful vocal harmonies. Even though "Odyssey and Oracle" wasn't strictly a hyped-up record, its experimental bent makes it noteworthy. After persuading EMI to release them from corporate control so they could record it at Abbey Road Studios, the Zombies were free to create any kind of music they wanted.

Songs like "Changes," "The Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)," and "Hung Up on a Dream" aren't that far from The Moody Blues, not to mention Rod Argent's proggy keyboard work. The songs really had aspects of progressive music since some of the band members, most notably Rod Argent, went on to work in that genre. Similar to many prog-rock artists from the following decades, the Zombies had a dreamy infatuation with authors and historical personalities, ranging from the Shakespeare quotation in the liner notes to "A Rose for Emily" by Faulkner to "Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)." In many ways, "Odessey and Oracle" foreshadows the extravagant British prog-rock epics to come.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 00:33
Seven Tears by Golden Earring is a good example, methinks. Side 2 contains fine Heavy Prog.

Edited by someone_else - April 26 2024 at 00:33
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 07:40
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla   Don't laugh but this definitely has prog elements, less so on their second album. I honestly do think Priest could have taken a prog path rather than the HM band they became if they'd carried on in the vein on their debut. Thing is, after reading both Rob Halford and KK Downing's autobiography, they felt they were pushed to do an album like that when they already had some decent songs in their repertoire that ended up on Sad Wings.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 04:44
Has anybody around here heard Act I by The Protomen? It's a "rock opera" loosely inspired by the Mega Man franchise by Capcom. The first 3 tracks aren't very 'proggy', but beginning from track 4. The Will of One, the music suddenly switches to pure progressive rock.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2024 at 05:04
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla   Don't laugh but this definitely has prog elements, less so on their second album. I honestly do think Priest could have taken a prog path rather than the HM band they became if they'd carried on in the vein on their debut. Thing is, after reading both Rob Halford and KK Downing's autobiography, they felt they were pushed to do an album like that when they already had some decent songs in their repertoire that ended up on Sad Wings.

Not laughing, 70s Judas Priest was proggish in places, also the great Simon Phillips played drums on one of their albums (Sin After Sin, 1977). 
Sergio Saldes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Saldes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 11:01
Only albums not referenced in Progarchives
 "Travelling underground" by Ian Lloyd & Stories, the first Cockney Rebel album; Angel by Angel, "Helluva Band" by Angel; "Level Headed" by Sweet; Alice Cooper: "School's days", "I'm eighteen"; Amboy Dukes: "Marriage on the rocks/Rock bottom"; Bull Angus: "Bull Angus", "Free for all"; Charisma: "Charisma", "Beasts and fiends";  Citadel (USA) "The Citadel of Cynosure & Other tales", many, many more I'll leave it for another time.

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Saldes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 11:05
Sorry, Alice Cooper, "Love it to Death" (not "I'm eighteen)
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sergio Saldes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 11:12
absolutely in accord with J.S. Bach's Toccata and Fugue, add drums to it and it's absolutely prog
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 12:55
Originally posted by Sergio Saldes Sergio Saldes wrote:

"Level Headed" by Sweet 

I fully agree with this album's inclusion! Don't think for a moment of their early hits: this one has string sections, harpsichords, horns, swirling synthesizers, and a Mick Tucker percussion solo on the almost-instrumental extended album closer, "Air on 'A' Tape Loop". Still, there's just enough loveable nuttiness included to remind you that it really is the same band that did "Ballroom Blitz". If you were too young to remember the 1970s, just listen to Level Headed - this album says what words can't!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 15:28
I agree with that Zombies album (O & O). I tend to think of it as a proto prog album (just like with almost any proggish album before KC's debut). It's a very good one and a classic for sure. The use of mellotron on a few tracks definitely hinted at things to come.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123