Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amon Duul II track date information

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote whd877 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amon Duul II track date information
    Posted: April 22 2024 at 23:51
Hello. I've been listening to Amon Duul II again for the first time in eight years or so. I have some questions regarding the bonus tracks on Carnival In Babylon, specifically Skylight and Tatzelwurmlock, and namely: what dates were these two tracks recorded, and who is playing on them? There's no real information about this that I've been able to find. I was hoping to find the same information for the bonus tracks on a certain Wolf City reissue: What You Gonna Do, Las Vegas, and Mueller's Frau - Jam. Many thanks if you have this information. 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 14:18
Originally posted by whd877 whd877 wrote:

Hello. I've been listening to Amon Duul II again for the first time in eight years or so. I have some questions regarding the bonus tracks on Carnival In Babylon, specifically Skylight and Tatzelwurmlock, and namely: what dates were these two tracks recorded, and who is playing on them? There's no real information about this that I've been able to find. I was hoping to find the same information for the bonus tracks on a certain Wolf City reissue: What You Gonna Do, Las Vegas, and Mueller's Frau - Jam. Many thanks if you have this information. 

Welcome to PA!  If these folks can't find your answer, nobody can!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2024 at 16:43

take a look on Discogs, the original LP has been re-released/issued many times under a lot of versions

https://www.discogs.com/release/12859353-Amon-Düül-II-Carnival-In-Babylon

"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 11:05
Hi,

AD2 has a strange history for some of its works. UTOPIA was done (supposedly) at the same time as WOLF CITY and it had some different things, which were not heard for a long time, until some things showed up in concert some 10/20 years later.

The strangest of them is the NADA MOONSHINE # stuff, that John Weinzierl told me in an email that the album was "... b*****d ... " and was not listed in the AD2's website for a long time, and I have not checked recently, and then all of a sudden you get to find a live version that has a bunch of pieces from NADA MOONSHINE #, and they sounded pretty good, and actually much better than their redo of some older material.

Some other weird things ... the solo album by Lothar Meid had a lot of pieces that all of a sudden in the past few years have shown up in some AD2 re-releases. Still, you don't have "If My Guru Would KNow" (later btw) and a couple of the other pieces from that album, including a couple of instrumental pieces.

There are some oddities. The live material does not show a whole lot of "VIVE LA TRANCE" and even "MADE IN GERMANY" stuff, and all of a sudden you hear "Apocalyptic Bore" in one live album (not well rehearsed at all, as the original is fabulous) ... and some of the later material is not found anywhere, until you finally hear the NADA MOONSHINE # stuff ... so there seems to be a period of material that several members of the band did not find very good, or were interested in doing it again for a live audience.

It's kinda sad, really, since their live album "LIVE IN LONDON" is the only concert of theirs that sounds excellent, and it was obvious that the material was extremely recent then. Almost all other live albums, and stuff on the net, shows some odd ball things, and often not really well presented, and you get the feeling that the band did not like rehearsing and thought that anything they did was just right and fine, even if not sounding right. And this is the case at least once in a CD where Renate goes nuts ... and the band? ... not sounding very good, not to mention that one member had several problems with his instruments not being piped correctly and more than once not being heard! 

In a couple of videos, it is very clear that Renate and Lothar are very valuable, and that because of wiring issues which made Chris Karrer almost not heard or simply ... left behind!

Edited by moshkito - May 03 2024 at 07:58
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2024 at 07:55

I was hoping to find the same information for the bonus tracks on a certain Wolf City reissue: What You Gonna Do, Las Vegas, and Mueller's Frau - Jam. Many thanks if you have this information. 

Hi,

All of these were a part of the original UTOPIA LP ... which got a very "limited" (not sure how to describe it!) release, and apparently it was because the band got into a massive fight that supposedly also involved guns and knives and ended up having many pieces separated ... for what might have been a double album, however, someone may have stood up for the WOLF CITY design as not exactly being just a bunch of small songs, which was not quite the legacy of the band yet ... the "song" side of things, kinda started with VIVE LA TRANCE which might have been the band's reaction to the management wanting something that could sell a single to help the albums. I am not sure that the band was comfortable with this at any time in their history and the satirical, and left handed style of some pieces showed up. Before it was "psychedelic" and we might even suggest "literary", but now it was obviously a sort of cynical "radio material".

I think that the various songs ended up in different places, because I'm betting that there is no "ownership" to that album called UTOPIA in order to release things, and folks seemed to have taken the stuff they wrote ...

The same thing happened to Lothar Meid's solo album, which was excellent ... but had what appears to be a "local release" only and it barely made one or two copies to Moby Disk in Van Nuys here in the USA. It was "ALL BUMM" and it came out in 1973 ... though we never found or heard it until at least 3 years later, maybe 4.

Some of the released material also seems to be from the 2nd album in 1993 (called ADRENALIN), which looks like a compilation of a lot of older stuff, and I'm not sure about half the pieces in it. For example, "Flying" was a part of the original album as were many other pieces. I have never seen or found this LP at all and it might have simply gotten a "local" release of a few copies.

BTW, this is as much as I know and there may be some errors in it ... but I have never found anything else, and this is the only  history I can tell you based on my experience!

Edited by moshkito - May 09 2024 at 07:16
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply