Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your First CD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your First CD!
    Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:17
When did you first bite the Compact Disc bug, and buy your first CD? What was it, and where did you get it?
          Most of us know about the vinyl revival, but this thread is about CDs....

I bought my first cd player in 1990, when I was living in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, and my first CD I bought was the debut album by Quatermass. It was bought at the store Record Runner in Ottawa, and was pressed in West Germany on Repertoire Records.
                The same week, I bought my first classical CD, a recording of Elgar's 1st Symphony conducted by Sir John Barbirolli with the Halle Orchestra, with also included the Introduction and Allegro for strings by Elgar and Barbirolli, as well, pressed on the label Nixa. I am not sure, but I think the store I bought it at was L'Atelier Grigorian in Ottawa.
                 As for the music's staying power, all these years later I still listen to cds and to these fledgling recordings I bought so long ago!

What was your first CD buying experience?

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:21
I honestly don't remember. Also, over time I have sold or given away cds. The oldest one that I still have is probably Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away(that I probably bought in the early to mid 90s) which is currently in a cd folder (I no longer do them that way though). It's certainly not the first cd I ever bought. Big Generatory by Yes is a possibility but again I honestly don't remember.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2024 at 15:21
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:24
Eagles - The Very Best Of
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:26
The first CD I bought was the soundtrack for the movie The Hunger as a gift in late 1989. My Dad had given me a Sony Discman in 1990. Then I got Bauhuas' Volume One 1979-1983, Kate Bush's The Kick Inside and Kitaro's Ten-Jiku.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:26
A Cheap Roy Harper compilation (an introduction to..) to test the cd player i bought around 1992. Then 'Live Rust' by Neil Young, then 'Travels' by Pat Metheny (which i had to order specially and was alarmingly expensive!). Mostly bought cds to play in the car though and still have quite a few though my current car (for the last 10 years) is so old it only has a tape player!

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:26
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I honestly don't remember. Also, over time I have sold or given away cds. The oldest one that I still have is probably Trevor Rabin's Can't Look Away(that I probably bought in the early to mid 90s) which is currently in a cd folder (I no longer do them that way though). It's certainly not the first cd I ever bought. Big Generatory by Yes is a possibility but again I honestly don't remember.
I can (partially) kind of relate to that....I certainly have sold or given away cds in the past, and usually regretting so, later....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:29
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I can (partially) kind of relate to that....I certainly have sold or given away cds in the past, and usually regretting so, later....

These days I might sell some but only the ones I really don't like or don't want. Right now I'm still in the process of buying (again) all the ones I used to have that I regret selling (or giving away). I had a friend in college who I gave cds to but then a couple of years later he died of cancer. I never did get any of those back (not that it really matters). I imagine his parents donating them to a record store with the clerk having a WTF look on his (or her) face. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2024 at 15:30
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:37
It was a poster sleeve issue of Pink Floyd's 'Tonite Let's All Make Love in London' (aka London 66-67)... probably around 1992/3.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 15:40
Not sure what it was but it came in a Longbox. Anyone remember those?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 16:14
My first CDs were bought same time I bought my first CD player in 1985. It was a hi-fi store in New Orleans I bought the player and a couple CDs.
I bought Journey~Escape and Saga~Behaviour, still have both. The Journey CD was pressed in Japan for US sales by CBS/Sony and the Saga was pressed by DADC which was a partnership between Sony and CBS in the US, this was the first CD pressing plant in the US started in 1983 I think in Indiana.

The Journey CD from day one gave me my first impression that this CD thing was not good, it is not a good sounding experience at all, flat and no dynamics. The Saga CD is one of my best sounding CDs I have.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:05
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Not sure what it was but it came in a Longbox. Anyone remember those?

Yes, I do! I think they were to deter theft. I think they stopped using them by the early 90s. When I worked in a music department of a store in the mid 90s it was those magnetic strips in the cd case instead by then.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:15
Peter Gabriel's So in 1986. I still have that copy. Sounds fine. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:22
I still own a 1983 pressing of Vangelis - China. I remember looking longingly at that in the local record shops back in the day. In the early days of CD there was a lot of EM on the shelves as presumably that seemed the style of music the format was most suited to. I also purchased the CD version of the 1979 ELP compilation 'Best Of'. It was barely 40 minutes and was a first issue. Later editions put on extra tracks. I remember looking out for the CD issues of favourite albums and IQ - The Wake was a nice one to get in the early days especially as it had some nice bonus material. Initially I owned it on cassette and was still collecting albums in that format for most of the 90's. I then bought the CD equivalent of a 'ghetto blaster'. It had a noisy travel and virtually no performance. A big disappointment. Eventually I acquired a nice CD player and a decent set of headphones although it wasn't until the 2000's that I finally had a proper hi-fi system with CD, a cassette deck (to record the CD's) along with cabinet speakers and an amp. That was decent and gave me a good ten years of listening pleasure as my CD collection grew.
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 17:48
Bowies Spiders from mars was the first CD I ever bought at Licorice Pizza in Pasadena Ca.  
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 19:36
My dad got a CD player in 1985 and had bought all classical CDs. I bought the first non-clsssical CD, which was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. I got that because it was one of the earliest recording done directly to digital tape. I still have it but haven't played it in years.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 19:39
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

My dad got a CD player in 1985 and had bought all classical CDs. I bought the first non-clsssical CD, which was Dire Straits Brothers in Arms. I got that because it was one of the earliest recording done directly to digital tape. I still have it but haven't played it in years.

I'm not sure if you know this but that Dire Straits cd was the first cd to go platinum in sales.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 22:36
I moved to Queensland from New South Wales in mid 1992. I initially moved into a rental for six months while the house I currently live in was being built a few kilometres away. I recall buying my first CD player, but don't recall where in Queensland I was living at the time (the shopping centre where I bought the CD player isn't a clue). Let's say I got my first CD late 1992 or early 1993. I wasn't especially keen to move over to the new technology, but eventually succumbed as it was becoming clear that the old technology was becoming obsolete. I can only recall one CD although there may have been another one or two that I bought at the same time. The CD I do recall was 10cc - A Decade of Hits. I didn't have any 10cc in my collection at the time, and I never bought any since, though I do like the CD I bought.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 00:34
Pink Floyd, of course. Smile

PINK FLOYD The Dark Side of the Moon reviews
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 00:54
I *think* my first CDs were Rush: Signals & Journey: Infinity, bought together around 1991/2. Even at this late stage, CDs were still relatively limited and expensive in the UK if IIRC?
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 02:53
My first deck (used) was roughly in 91/2, when I started buying CDs... Which might've been Anglagard's Hybris or RHCP's SBSM - not sure anymore
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>