Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums would you advice a classic rock fan?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums would you advice a classic rock fan?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What albums would you advice a classic rock fan?
    Posted: April 26 2024 at 06:48
What if you had a classic rock fan who doesn't know prog? What prog albums would you advice him in order to slowly and gently get into it? My pick would be

- Deep Purple / Deep Purple in Rock
- The Who / Quadrophenia
- Pink Floyd / The Wall
- Supertramp / Crime Of The Century
- Radiohead / Ok Computer
- Dire Straits / Love Over Gold
- Rush / Rush
- Styx / Pieces Of Eight
- Queen / Queen II
- The Alan Parsons Project / The Turn Of A Friendly Card

These are not all "prog" but I think they constitute a good introduction to it.

Edited by Gnik Nosmirc - April 26 2024 at 06:52
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 08:35
Led Zeppelin : IV
Deep Purple : Machine Head
Golden Earring: Moontan
APP : Tales
Kansas : Leftoverture
Styx : The Grand Illusion
Uriah Heep : Magician's Birthday
Kraftwerk : Autobahn
Tangerine Dream : Stratosfear
10CC : The original soundtrack
Dire Straits : Love over gold
Manfred Mann's Earth Band : Nightingales and Bombers
Pink Floyd : Wish you were here
Barclay James Harvest : Octoberon

"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 08:57
If that person is already a classic rock fan, then I might very well expect that they already know many albums listed. Pretty basic classic rock standards there. Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen and Supertramp are huge names in classic rock -- classic rock 101 (an FM station here and also a first year university course reference). If it's specific fan, I believe in tailoring the recommendations to the individual. Find out what they know and like and then extrapolate from that. That said, I have turned more than one classic rock fan onto King Crimson with Red and others, but I had an idea of their tastes already.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 09:31
Wippy Bonstack - 22
Steely Dan - Aja
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Kansas - Leftoverture
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Pink Floyd - Animals
Mike Keneally - Sluggo!
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
The Aristocrats - Culture Clash
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 09:45
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

If that person is already a classic rock fan, then I might very well expect that they already know many albums listed. Pretty basic classic rock standards there. Led Zep, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen and Supertramp are huge names in classic rock -- classic rock 101 (an FM station here and also a first year university course reference). If it's specific fan, I believe in tailoring the recommendations to the individual. Find out what they know and like and then extrapolate from that. That said, I have turned more than one classic rock fan onto King Crimson with Red and others, but I had an idea of their tastes already.

Exactly. I would find it hard to believe that a "classic rock fan" would be unaware of Yes, Tull or Floyd -- all staples of classic rock stations. Perhaps they have lived under a rock, and are not aware of the term "prog rock" when they listen to Traffic's "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", or Tull's "Aqualung" or basic Yes like "Roundabout". Perhaps they are unaware of early Genesis (Peter Gabriel was in Genesis? Next you're going to tell me Paul McCartney was in The Beatles). Foxtrot might be an interesting segue. Or just blow their mind completely with King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man".
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 10:48
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Exactly. I would find it hard to believe that a "classic rock fan" would be unaware of Yes, Tull or Floyd -- all staples of classic rock stations. Perhaps they have lived under a rock, and are not aware of the term "prog rock" when they listen to Traffic's "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", or Tull's "Aqualung" or basic Yes like "Roundabout". Perhaps they are unaware of early Genesis (Peter Gabriel was in Genesis? Next you're going to tell me Paul McCartney was in The Beatles). Foxtrot might be an interesting segue. Or just blow their mind completely with King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man".

They might well not associate it with Prog and a lot of that classic rock by so-called Prog bands is not what I would call quintessential Prog music. Prog is such a nebulous label and is so amorphous. But if they really are "fans" of classic rock, they are liable to know stuff by those bands. Maybe not full albums, a lot would still use radio or something like it to get to know stuff sand would be more song oriented

When I first heard "Aqualung" and "Roundabout" (both of which are only of my first mix tapes) I had not associated them with Prog, but then I was not yet really familiar with the Prog term. And even when I got to know what Prog was better I did not think of Pink Floyd as Prog, nor would I have thought of Genesis as Prog because I knew it from the 80's hits. I would sooner create a collection of tracks, and try to base it what you specifically know they like, than recommend albums to a lot of listeners. Of course a lot of bands who made Prog albums also made non-Prog tracks or not so Prog tracks. Those less-Prog tracks can be good gateways... Don;t hit them with a one hour The Flower Kings noodle-rama-fest for instance.

These are some albums that worked for me in PA before I was familiar with the Prog term, but different people will react differently.

Focus - Hamburger Concerto
Gryphon - Midnight Mushrumps
Camel - The Snow Goose
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were here, Animals and more
Alan Parsons Project - I Robot
And Tubeway Army - Replicas (okay, not Prog, but I adored it when I was eight)

I would have loved King Crimson as a teenager. Khan's Space Shanty is one I turned someone onto in real life. I even got one classic rock woman who barely knew of Prog into Magma via "Theusz Hamtaahk". For various ones who also like more modern music, I would recommend black midi. Generally I would steer clear of things like Neo-Prog.

Edited by Logan - April 26 2024 at 10:52
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 10:55
^Yes, a playlist may be helpful. But, I'm surprised by songs that resonate with others, songs that you imagine would click but they don't. So, it's impossible to choose for someone else.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2024 at 11:35
^ That's true. Even when I felt like I had a really great handle on what people wanted and I thought I knew their tastes really well, I have been surprised that something did not resonate, and something that I thought might not appeal as much by the same artist or on the same album, as well as by altogether different artists, appealed much more. People are complex and each have their own associative pathways which is a significant when it comes to what resonates. And, just thinking out loud, even if if I know someone loves, say, Cream's "Tales of Brave Ulysses" and I know that Milk's "Stories of Courageous Odysseus" is very similar they might see/hear Milk's as merely an inferior sound-alike. That you will like B because it's similar to A does not necessarily follow.

Edited by Logan - April 26 2024 at 11:36
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 10:40
I'd say:

Dark Side - Pink Floyd
In The Court - King Crimson
Fragile - Yes
Farewell To Kings - Rush
The Grand Illusion - Styx
Leftoverture - Kansas
Duke - Genesis
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
The Electric Prunes - The Electric Prunes
D~B
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2024 at 23:33
It's extremely unlikely that a classic rock fan would not know prog. I met someone at college (and eventually roomed with him) and he was a huge AC/DC fan but was well aware of bands like Rush and Genesis. They held little or no interest to him but he did like certain proggy things like for instance I had a copy of Yes - Tormato at the time and he loved playing the track Release, Release. It was quite ridiculous the amount of times I came back in the room and he was playing that thing and he was getting his rocks off! However there was little chance i could get him into early Yes. I never stayed in contact so god knows whether his tastes have changed but I always think of him when AC/DC are ever on the radio!

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 09:46
Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

- Rush / Rush

This is an odd choice. If I wanted to show someone Rush with a slice of prog, but not overwhelm them I would probably pick Permanent Waves or maybe even Fly By Night. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 10:15
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Gnik Nosmirc Gnik Nosmirc wrote:

- Rush / Rush

This is an odd choice. If I wanted to show someone Rush with a slice of prog, but not overwhelm them I would probably pick Permanent Waves or maybe even Fly By Night. 

Rush's Hemispheres worked for me, and that was long before I was seriously into Progressive Rock. I became obsessed with that album as a teen, as well as Yes' Fragile which I discovered at about the same time. Mileage will vary depending on the individual. Here in Canada, classic rock fans who listen to classic rock radio would be familiar with lots of Rush anyway as they have quite a few songs that are in steady rotation (including the song "Fly By Night").

While recognising that it depends on the classic rock fan, I would like to hit various of them with some Magma; maybe Üdü Ẁüdü. It may help as a Magma conversation starter if you bring your friend to a wet tee-shirt contest where you had convinced or bribed one of the contestants to wear a Magma tee. Some moisture really enhances the Magma logo, imo.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 10:55
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
"           - Duke
Kansas - Point of Know Return
Yes - 90125
"     - Fragile
Asia - Same
Styx - The Grand Illusion
Rush - Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Alan Parsons Project - Irobot
King Crimson - Discipline
The Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager
Jethro Tull - Aqualung 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 01 2024 at 15:39
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 11:52
The Beatles "Abbey Road"
Elton John "Empty Sky"
The Kinks "Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)"
Audience "The House on the Hill"
The Who "Quadrophenia"
David Bowie "Alladin Sane"
Cockney Rebel "The Human Menagerie" 
10cc "The Original Soundtrack"
Be Bop Deluxe "Modern Music"
Anthony Moore "Out"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 12:15
CAN~Tago Mago........Push them into the deep end of the pool with no life vest.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 14:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

No no no, give then Island's Pictures
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2024 at 14:22
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

LOL
And Gong's Angel's Egg. LOL
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 01:11

Peter Hammill's vocal style makes Van der Graaf Generator an even better option.
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 11:11
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Peter Hammill's vocal style makes Van der Graaf Generator an even better option.

I must be crazy, but I fell in love with Hammill/VDGG from the first listen. 
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 20:35

Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

I must be crazy, but I fell in love with Hammill/VDGG from the first listen. 
Certainly, the Van der Graaf Generator music is ideal for a newbie to start with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>