Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pallas - The Wedge (+ Knightmoves)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pallas - The Wedge (+ Knightmoves)
    Posted: April 28 2024 at 07:39
This the worst rated Pallas album on PA, still with a decent 3.02 average out of 140 ratings, meaning "good". Just listened to it again and it remains one of my preferred Pallas albums. It is maybe also their most AOR like album, but good AOR is still good music, no? I especially like Alan Reeds vocals on this one (one of his better performances with Pallas, until The Messenger came out; but also check out his solo albums!), plus the wonderful arrangements and sonics of this album. At times harder edged ("metally") and aggressive, but always with eye/ear for detail and melody, and at other times with the most beautiful ballads rock could wish for (Win or Loose, Just a Memory...). In my opinion, of course.

What do you think of the album?

Edited by suitkees - April 28 2024 at 08:18

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2024 at 09:36
their weakest imo, not my cup of tea
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2024 at 09:41
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

their weakest imo, not my cup of tea

Their weakest indeed, listenable but a huge drop in song-writing compared to the debut (IMO obviously). 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 13:23
I absolutely love this album! I was told from the beginning it was different from The Sentinel (someone described it as "Rush meets Tears for Fears"), but I listened with an open mind and was/am still blown away. I consider "Imagination", "Ratracing", and especially "Just a Memory" to be among my all-time favorites, not just by Pallas, but by anybody! It's their post-reunion material (starting with Beat the Drum) that leaves me cold.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2024 at 08:19
I love love LOVE this AORish naive type of Neo-Prog and this is my second favourite Pallas album probably! Check the band Shadowland, they're very similar vibe-wise:

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2024 at 03:10
^ Never really got into Shadowland (heard their first two albums, a long time ago)... Maybe a bit too naive, or just not original enough? May have to give them a listen again, but the songs you posted don't convince me, yet.
Originally posted by Steve 
Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

I absolutely love this album! I was told from the beginning it was different from The Sentinel (someone described it as "Rush meets Tears for Fears"), but I listened with an open mind and was/am still blown away. I consider "Imagination", "Ratracing", and especially "Just a Memory" to be among my all-time favorites, not just by Pallas, but by anybody! It's their post-reunion material (starting with Beat the Drum) that leaves me cold.

Interesting; I agree regarding Ratracing and Just a Memory, but always though that Imagination was the least interesting song of the album, maybe with Stranger (both still very enjoyable, though). I prefer those (other) busy songs like Dance Through the Fire or The Executioner (very atmospheric) - many interesting sonic details in those and I think that they are just a bit more original than Imagination... Quite far from The Sentinel, indeed.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply