Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The AOR-side of Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 05:41
The 2005 self-titled lone album by White is one of my all-time favourites in the AOR-prog subgenre. Generally, it is melodic music with elements of hard rock and neo-prog. 
The album and band name obviously allude to the late Alan White. Together with Alan on drums, here we have Asia keyboardist Geoff Downes; lead singer Kevin Currie is accompanied on vocals by the great support of Steve Boyce, who also played bass. Karl Haug played the guitar. And its sleeve features some amazing Roger Dean illustration work!

Gnik Nosmirc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gnik Nosmirc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 06:36
Here are a few AOR/prog that I enjoy:
  • Styx / Pieces Of Eight
  • Utopia / Oops! Wrong Planet
  • Journey / Journey
  • Manfred Mann's Earth Band / Chance
  • Asia / Asia
  • Planet P Project / Pink World
  • Steve Lukather / Candyman
  • Ambrosia / Road Island
  • Lake / Paradise Island
  • Toto / Hydra
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 07:27
My favorite...

90125 - Wikipedia
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 08:13
One not mentioned that I like is Planet P Project's debut album.

Two more non-PA bands that have hints of prog in places are:
The Fixx (in particular, their first two albums)
Grandaddy (in particular, The Sophtware Slump; sometimes I'm reminded of a Cars/ELO mix with many of their songs)

Not sure any of the above qualified under the AOR banner, but they were more in the "artsy" side of the pop rock spectrum, with The Fixx typically under the new wave banner.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 09:37
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I was listening to Demon - The Plague today. I think that might count. Maybe a bit on the harder side of rock.

As far as the REO Speedwagon of prog, that's got to be Moon Safari.

I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA (University of Illinois), where REO Speedwagon had their origin!!  In those years (1973-77), Champaign was renowned for our bands!!  REO used to play street dances and local gigs at bars, they were very popular with the students and "townies!"  A movie about that era was made, see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHPP_EmL2qDHm4egl4K9v_Xen7WopVoq

The original vocalist for REO, Terry Luttrell, left REO and eventually ended up as vocalist for the Yes-like band "Starcastle!"  Starcastle were HUGELY popular in Champaign back then, and their first LP had constant rotation on college radio!!   They were an amazingly energetic and charismatic band, playing all sorts of covers by Rolling Stones, Elton John and others as well as their originals!  

BTW, I don't consider them a "Yes-Clone," their vocalization style was very much influenced by Flash vs. Yes.   Gary Strater helped to give them that Yes sound with his Rickenbacker-Squire style, and keyboardist Herb Schildt was a master of the Hammond organ!!  These were rather rare instruments for bar bands in those years. 

I don't care for their self-titled record, but Fountains of Light is a different story. Herb's the star of that album, as far as I'm concerned.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 09:45
Thanks Suitkees!
I'm getting all kinds of recos now for my favorite genre!

While we're here, I'm started to be reminded of some other great stuff like:
Of course, Boston.  How could we forget?  That entire debut album has been played everywhere for decades.
MMEB's Chance and Roaring Silence are nice.
Lake's first record falls in this category.
Some late 70's-early 80s Kayak, if we're going to talk Supertramp.  The US version of Starlight Dancer blew me away when I first heard it.
Lodgic - Nomadic Sands, anyone?  It's from 1985, and is among the first recorded works of Billy Sherwood with his brother Michael and a few other guys that have been playing in the prog world for awhile.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 10:00
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

One not mentioned that I like is Planet P Project's debut album.

Planet P/Tony Carey fan, here! That's a classic, but I think it's nearly crossover prog, what with its amalgam of German-influenced new wave and motorik, prog electronic and American rock.

I dig the conceptual follow-up Pink World even more. It's amazing Tony recorded everything you hear on it!

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 10:59
Friends don't let friends listen to AOR. Sick
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 11:22
What's wrong with Album-Oriented Rock?
Valdez1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valdez1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 12:36

This old band "Double" had some interesting songs.  This song used to remind me of cheese but after revisiting many years later,  it's really quite exceptional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-Ru1XkNZc

Edited by Valdez1 - April 29 2024 at 12:43
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 12:53
When I think of a really successful AOR/ Prog hybrid, my favourite may well be the stupendous 'Jefferson Starship: Freedom At Point Zero', however another few would be:

MMEB: Angel Station
Nektar: Magic Is A Child
Toto: Turn Back
Styx: Grand Illusion
Foreigner: Debut
Supertramp: Crime Century

Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 13:12
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

When I think of a really successful AOR/ Prog hybrid, my favourite may well be the stupendous 'Jefferson Starship: Freedom At Point Zero', however another few would be:

MMEB: Angel Station
Nektar: Magic Is A Child
Toto: Turn Back
Styx: Grand Illusion
Foreigner: Debut
Supertramp: Crime Century

FaPZ is also a winner in my book, along with Foreigner's debut. MMEB's Solar Fire is my favorite of theirs (though that's straight-up prog).

Nektar's Magic is a Child was my introduction to them, and while it's not considered prime Nektar, I like it.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 13:34
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

FaPZ is also a winner in my book, along with Foreigner's debut. MMEB's Solar Fire is my favorite of theirs (though that's straight-up prog).

Nektar's Magic is a Child was my introduction to them, and while it's not considered prime Nektar, I like it.

Thanks for your comments.

Solar Fire is also my fave, but I think Angel Station is their strongest representation in this category... it's quality Prog tinged AOR, whereas Chance isn't as good and is also too low on the Prog quotient for this category. I'd say exactly the same about Magic Is A Child (still quite enjoyable) as opposed to Man In The Moon, too AOR. I still own Angel St & Magic, but don't own Moon or Chance these days. Incidentally, my fave Nektar is Remember The Future, FWIW...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 13:56
Kansas cornered the market with Leftoverture.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 14:34
^I would agree with you if you said Point of Know Return or Audio Visions but imo Leftoverture is pure prog.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 15:05

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I was listening to Demon - The Plague today. I think that might count. Maybe a bit on the harder side of rock.

As far as the REO Speedwagon of prog, that's got to be Moon Safari.

I went to university in Champaign, Illinois USA (University of Illinois), where REO Speedwagon had their origin!!  In those years (1973-77), Champaign was renowned for our bands!!  REO used to play street dances and local gigs at bars, they were very popular with the students and "townies!"  A movie about that era was made, see https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEHPP_EmL2qDHm4egl4K9v_Xen7WopVoq

The original vocalist for REO, Terry Luttrell, left REO and eventually ended up as vocalist for the Yes-like band "Starcastle!"  Starcastle were HUGELY popular in Champaign back then, and their first LP had constant rotation on college radio!!   They were an amazingly energetic and charismatic band, playing all sorts of covers by Rolling Stones, Elton John and others as well as their originals!  

BTW, I don't consider them a "Yes-Clone," their vocalization style was very much influenced by Flash vs. Yes.   Gary Strater helped to give them that Yes sound with his Rickenbacker-Squire style, and keyboardist Herb Schildt was a master of the Hammond organ!!  These were rather rare instruments for bar bands in those years. 

I don't care for their self-titled record, but Fountains of Light is a different story. Herb's the star of that album, as far as I'm concerned.

I was a backstage friend of Herb, he was an amazing talent on Hammond organ!  Interestingly, he was also a highly regarded computer programmer and wrote some seminal textbooks on the topic! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 15:32
^Correct, Leftoverture is no less prog than Wind & Wuthering or Rain Dances.

IMO, Kansas didn't start the transition to AOR till Monolith and hitting it with Elefante in the band.

Then Walsh returned and the pendulum began to swing back, albeit slowly.

"Musicatto," a great instrumental from Power, with Steve Morse installed as lead guitarist.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 15:34

I was a backstage friend of Herb, he was an amazing talent on Hammond organ!  Interestingly, he was also a highly regarded computer programmer and wrote some seminal textbooks on the topic! 

He was pretty handy with a synthesizer, too!
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 16:05

Yes he was!!  I just wrote him an email to see if he'd respond, I bet he will!  Were you in Champaign IL in that era?  Sounds like it!  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2024 at 16:53

Yes he was!!  I just wrote him an email to see if he'd respond, I bet he will!  Were you in Champaign IL in that era?  Sounds like it!  

No, I grew up in SoCal. Class of '90!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>